X-Plane for a 9 year old

Wingsofglass

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wingsofglass
A friend wants to get X-Plane for his 9 year old. Does anyone know if it has an "easy" flight mode and has an option to auto-coordinate so he doesn't need rudder peddles?

I'm not too familiar with X-plane but I do know that Microsoft Flight Simulator X, does have a range of modes.

Yes, x-plane will auto-coordinate. That said, it's a much more realistic simulator than FSX. I have both, and it is "harder" to fly in Xplane.

X-Plane uses modeled aerodynamics. Microsoft uses an aircraft performance lookup table. This is the main reason X-Plane is spiffy. Also requires more CPU horsepower and RAM for the same performance of the sim.

Real plane for a 9 year old!

I once took a 9 year old for his first flight. I did the take off and the landing. He did everything else. He evidently had enough experience with games that flying a real plane was no big deal to him.

I might suggest against X-Plane for a 9 yo...it's really advanced, and it's not fun unless you're really into flying. There are no real "missions" like FS, and the interface is a lot more frustrating. If this person doesn't mind buying (somewhat) outdated software, FSX might be the way to go. It's more than realistic enough for someone who is 9, not to mention easier and more fun for that age group.

I might suggest against X-Plane for a 9 yo...it's really advanced, and it's not fun unless you're really into flying. There are no real "missions" like FS, and the interface is a lot more frustrating. If this person doesn't mind buying (somewhat) outdated software, FSX might be the way to go. It's more than realistic enough for someone who is 9, not to mention easier and more fun for that age group.

What about http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Flight actually might be perfect for him. You can download it for free, but it's very limited (Hawaii only and just the Icon A5 and Stearman unless you buy extra packages, which aren't that spectacular...and there aren't many of them). Because of the very lukewarm response Microsoft got from it, they stopped supporting it. You can download it and give it a shot if you like.

A friend wants to get X-Plane for his 9 year old. Does anyone know if it has an "easy" flight mode and has an option to auto-coordinate so he doesn't need rudder peddles?

I'd get FSX, it's more user friendly and accessible for a nine year old.

Back