X-box (but really network) question

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Ok, so my kid has been driving me absolutely bonkers with the Xbox stuff... first, let me say that he's been on Xbox live with a wired connection successfully since Christmas. Now he has issues, and of course, the first question I would ask is "What changed?" From my perspective, up to but not including the Xbox itself, the answer is "nothing". Inside the Xbox? That's a "black box" to me...

Here's the layout that used to work:

comcast cable -> Arris cable modem/voice mux(?) -> Netgear WGT624 Router/WAP -> 3Com Super Stack II 36 port switch -> Xbox 360

This worked for months. Recently he added a D-Link DES-1105 5-port switch at the TV (between the 3Com and Xbox) when he had a bunch of his buddies over for a Halo night, and added 3 more Xboxes. Everything worked and fun was had by all (except the parents).

So now, coincidentally or not, when he plugs his Xbox 360 back into the 3Com switch (taking out the D-Link switch), the Xbox status tells him "Disconnected" (and I don't get a status light on the 3Com switch).

If he plugs the D-Link switch back in between the Xbox and the 3Com, it immediately lights the status light on the 3Com, and after a minute or so, lights the status light on the D-Link switch for the port the Xbox is connected to.

We've repeated this test numerous times with the same results, and trying different ports on the 3Com doesn't change the outcome. The obvious answer is to have him leave the D-Link switch in the line, but I'm bugged by this and want to figure out the "why"

So, to make it aviation related - any good flying games for the Xbox?

Last edited:
yep - same cable plugged between 3Com switch and x-box that used to work still works between 3Com and D-Link switches and doesn't work now between 3Com switch and x-box. I suspected he might have found a crossover cable perhaps, but doesn't appear so. I did try a second cable that is known good - no joy.

Do new devices (other than the Xbox) connect when they are plugged into the 3Com switch?

Does the Xbox connect when plugged directly into the Netgear router?

How many total devices are on the network? How many are getting IP's using DHCP? (Check the client table.) How many IP's is the router's DHCP server allowed to assign?

Is the wireless secure?

Rich

All new devices work wired or wireless - I regularly connect a laptop wired or wireless, and my other son and girlfriend both connect macbooks wireless.

Tried 1 attempt today with Xbox connected into the Netgear router and it didn't work (but I wonder if we left it connected long enough - I think this is how he was successfully connected earlier this year) - will try that again tomorrow.

Currently have 14 connections plugged into the 3Com switch, plus 2 or 3 wireless connections. All dynamic IP except 1. DHCP range from 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.255

Wireless security is using WEP 128 bit key. I believe I tried WPA earlier, but the PSP wouldn't connect; connects ok with WEP 128 bit.

I saw something about selecting "Preserve MAC address" in the xbox 360 console setup screens - I'll have to have my son look for that tomorrow.

Greg,

Did you try plugging the XBox into a different port on the 3Com? I'm thinking that when the Dlink got plugged into the 3Com, it was plugged into a port that is configured as an "Uplink" port (google it).

Try using a different empty port on the 3Com...

Power cycle. The switch and the XBox.

The ports will try to auto-configure to match and they get it worng. Even $50,000 Cisco switches sometimes fail at it.

They have to agree on 10, 100, or 1000 mbs and try to negotiate full duplex and while they're at it they will try to auto-cross the port to see if it's two switches connected together - which it was in your case. Guess what happens if both ends flip it the port? Notwork.

I've had such flakiness on my home network. Pull hair for 20 minutes. Reboot. Power cycle. Reboot. You fixed it. :mad: :dunno:

tried different ports on the 3Com - same results - yep, time for a reboot on the network ...

Back