WX: Classic Colorado Spring upslope storm

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
A little weather for y'all...

(We do seem to be light on weather training topics, I just noted... Anyway...)

The low has passed over CO and is in the southeast corner (still headed south)...

Sitting over La Junta, pumping moisture from the gulf uphill...

977435b7ba67b9b747c4edd1909b3f09.jpg

Cool wind depiction along with the thunderstorm line and the bands of snow on the north side.

It was 70 yesterday. Now it's...

d9679330f4ff208c792120b9d81a1078.jpg

It'll be 75 next weekend. Haha. Yay springtime!

Breckenridge has 20". Still open. They will close with 80" on the ground accumulated from all year long.

Yeah the ski areas are loving this one.

I'm getting a kick out of the fact that NWS in Boulder treats everything east of Aurora as "Kansas" or "the plains" and issues the same watches and warnings in a line from northern boundary of the State to the southern once you leave over-populated areas.

As you can see by the berm in the lee-side of the house, we've been above blizzard criteria a number of hours today and it's only now starting to slack off.

What does NWS say about it? I'm under a Winter Weather Advisory.

The county just to my west and all of the metro is under a Winter Weather Warning and has less wind and less snowfall. Haha.

Boulder hippie scientists fail again. Not that they even really know anyone lives out here. Haha. You'd think they would have at least upgraded us to a Warning. LOL. So much fail. But it's repetitive and almost blatant so we're quite used to it out here.

We were below 1/8 mile vis in blowing snow for hours this morning.

A Colorado Springs TV station tossed this little "Friday Afternoon in SE CO" montage together. Heh.

8a43a2add60866c2539ff64705dce090.jpg

Just wet outside here for right now but it is starting to snow though. Hearing something like 12-16 inches coming... I am prepared!

Nice segment about snow removal at Centennial KAPA on the local CBS affiliate.

It's midApril, and I've had to shovel the back patio 4 times today so the dog could get out.

Welcome to Colorado, where you can have all 4 seaons in one day, don't put away your snow skis until June, use the golf clubs and tennis gear in January and the first snow storm of the season is usually for the first Bronco's Monday Night Football game, but it doesn't snow again for 2 months.

Not sure exactly where you live Nate, but here's the Winter Storm Warning that was issued at 4:30 a.m. MDT in your area:

COZ040-043-161845-
/O.CON.KBOU.WS.W.0006.160416T1200Z-160417T1200Z/
NORTH DOUGLAS COUNTY BELOW 6000 FEET/DENVER/WEST ADAMS AND
ARAPAHOE COUNTIES/EAST BROOMFIELD COUNTY-
CENTRAL AND SOUTH WELD COUNTY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...AURORA...BRIGHTON...CITY OF DENVER...
DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...HIGHLANDS RANCH...LITTLETON...
PARKER...EATON...FORT LUPTON...GREELEY...ROGGEN
439 AM MDT SAT APR 16 2016

Nope. Note the distinct lack of mention of Elbert County, @scottd ... the "lost" county. The problem with issuing a county-wide warning is that the county extends so far East, but the weather is ALWAYS significantly different across the county in upslope and winter storm conditions. (It's also quite different in thunderstorm season.)

I've had all sorts of fun explaining to the folks that are re-arranging the NWS transmitter links for the All-Hazards radio sites that...
- Yes... it's nice that the State of Colorado is giving you audio links on their State microwave backbone to make maintenance simpler of these transmitters... you can send audio from ONE site to multiple transmitters.
- No, you can't use the Denver audio feed for the Deer Trail and Franktown transmitters because Denver is NOT programmed to transmit Elbert County SAME codes.
- No, when you disconnected that, and decided to make a new audio feed sourced from (unknown site) for Deer Trail and Franktown, you somehow removed SAME code programming for Deer Trail.
- Yes, the Deer Trail transmitter works better into NW Elbert County than the Franktown or Denver transmitters because of TERRAIN... we're on the EAST side of the ridge, not the WEST or SOUTH sides of it.

The old RF engineer that used to maintain these (before the State guys and a newbie got involved) seemed to understand where the RF would go by ... oh... looking at a topo map and knowing where a 100W VHF transmitter would work... and programming the individual sites SAME codes appropriately... but now you can be tuned to the absolute best-sounding full-quieting transmitter for 50-100 miles... and not know you're not going to get alerted at all in that area...

It's been fun to watch what I assume are IT/DATA geeks trying to deal with VHF RF broadcast... hahaha... wow... totally clueless.

Anyway, back on topic... Boulder doesn't issue stuff properly for Elbert County. They lump the populated portion of the county (Western 1/3) in with whatever they decided is happening out on "the plains" (Eastern 2/3). It's really common for that to occur. Thus, I pay more attention to the "High Elevation Douglas County" watches and warnings than I do the Elbert ones.

Mix the All-Hazards alert mess (have to tune a barely copyable transmitter instead of Deer Trail to even hit the SAME alerts for the county -- and I'll admit, they may have fixed this since last summer, but I'll have to check it with multiple alert radios when summer and t-storm season rolls in and there's enough alerts happening to compare quality and copyability as well as copy which codes are alerted in which priority on each of the three receivers) ... and Boulder forgetting Elbert is populated heavily on the western 1/3... and the alerts for our little rural area fall to about 1/2 of the quality of the alerts for Douglas/Denver Metro.

By the way... the warning above included Greeley. They got a whopping 3". Hahahaha... We had blizzard conditions for hours and well over 20"... and were in the "Winter Weather Advisory" area. :) Upslope kinda needs orographic lifting, and the ridge is on the border between Douglas and Elbert... it's all DOWNHILL from Denver to Greeley... hahaha... it RAINED up there, which is exactly what I, as a native, would expect with an ABQ Low... Greeley never gets anything from those... :)

Like I said, I didn't know where you lived, so I was guessing...here's the ones for your area issued that morning and the previous night...

COZ038-039-041-161845-
/O.CON.KBOU.WS.W.0006.000000T0000Z-160417T1200Z/
LARIMER COUNTY BELOW 6000 FEET/NORTHWEST WELD COUNTY-
BOULDER AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES BELOW 6000 FEET/WEST BROOMFIELD
COUNTY-ELBERT/CENTRAL AND EAST DOUGLAS COUNTIES ABOVE 6000 FEET-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FORT COLLINS...HEREFORD...LOVELAND...
NUNN...ARVADA...BOULDER...GOLDEN...LAKEWOOD...LONGMONT...
CASTLE ROCK...ELBERT...FONDIS...KIOWA...LARKSPUR
439 AM MDT SAT APR 16 2016

And the night before...

COZ038-039-041-161300-
/O.CON.KBOU.WS.W.0006.160416T0600Z-160417T1200Z/
LARIMER COUNTY BELOW 6000 FEET/NORTHWEST WELD COUNTY-
BOULDER AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES BELOW 6000 FEET/WEST BROOMFIELD
COUNTY-ELBERT/CENTRAL AND EAST DOUGLAS COUNTIES ABOVE 6000 FEET-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FORT COLLINS...HEREFORD...LOVELAND...
NUNN...ARVADA...BOULDER...GOLDEN...LAKEWOOD...LONGMONT...
CASTLE ROCK...ELBERT...FONDIS...KIOWA...LARKSPUR
738 PM MDT FRI APR 15 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT
TO 6 AM MDT SUNDAY...

* TIMING...WIDESPREAD RAIN WILL DEVELOP DURING THE EVENING. THIS
WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW
IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY AND DECREASE SATURDAY
NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 14 INCHES. HIGHER AMOUNTS WILL BE
POSSIBLE NEAR THE FOOTHILLS AND ALONG THE PALMER DIVIDE.

* WIND/VISIBILITY...NORTH WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH WITH GUST TO 40
MPH...ESPECIALLY EAST OF I-25. VISIBILITY WILL FALL TO A
QUARTER MILE OR LESS IN HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

Interesting. Note the cut and paste for Sunday that said rain would end and snow would begin... that was Friday into Saturday... Heh...

So it appears that the use of Elbert/Central broke all of the All Hazards SAME code warnings (none happened... two radios in the house on different frequencies), and also broke all of the four apps I have that also trigger location-based warnings (but granted those think I'm sitting in Elbert/Western if such a thing exists in these systems/databases.

All of the Advisory level ones were "Elbert" and came through on every device, except of course, the SAME encoded All-Hazards radios, since Advisories don't trigger alerts on those.

Also interesting... I may have to go look, but the Warnings for everything west of us were up by I think, Thursday afternoon?

All of these criteria were met... not issued... in fact the warning you quoted warned of such... but the BW wasn't issued.

Blizzard Warning
A Blizzard Warning means that the following conditions are occurring or expected within the next 12 to 18 hours.
1) Snow and/or blowing snow reducing visibility to 1/4 mile or less for 3 hours or longer
AND
2) Sustained winds of 35 mph or greater or frequent gusts to 35 mph or greater.
There is no temperature requirement that must be met to achieve blizzard conditions.

Yeah, @scottd - KAPA is WAY over the hill from NW Elbert County. Best road course to get there is 25 minutes from my place, minimum, and it's a pretty good elevation change both going up the ridge, and back down the other side. KAPA is inside the Denver bowl... Elbert County is outside of it...

The ridge line is where the weather changes... nearly always... doesn't matter what kind of weather... Heck the ridgeline creates a bunch of weather through orographic lifting... it's fun to watch... :)

It's truly just "normal" for Elbert to be lost in no-man's land... at least in terms of what NWS Boulder does with it...

Been that way for all three years plus a few months that I've been out there.

Like I've said, since that piece of it actually *IS* something I know about, I've engaged the radio engineers for the All-Hazards transmitters on some of the "where does this transmitter actually cover and do the SAME codes associated with this transmitter make any sense" conversations in e-mail (and back-channel with some of the State engineers who helped with the audio links), but as far as watches, warnings, etc go... I just watch in amusement.

The map showing that the 200W transmitter on a building on S. Colorado Blvd (the "Denver" transmitter) will actually cover portions of NW Elbert is pretty funny... yeah... with horrible multipath and very weak signal, since there's a freaking rock wall in the way...

Part of this is caused by the fact that Elbert wasn't so populated 10+ years ago... the maps had contours for the RF and the planning was essentially "Ahh, there's nobody out there anyway..." My neighborhood only came into existence in 1985 or so, and our corner store just celebrated its 8 year anniversary on the corner in front of the neighborhood, yesterday. :)

Most of the automated "pick the closest NWS official weather source via Lat/Long" gadgetry I play with, chooses "Brick Center", which has no actual official weather reporting at all, and is well over a ridgeline to the north much closer to I-70... it's listed as a "political district"... which nobody I've ever talked to has ever heard of. No idea why it comes up as an NWS weather location. :)

They're going to need more official weather stations out there sooner or later, but heck if I know where they'd put them... most of the commercial tower sites wouldn't work for various reasons (on top of the ridge lines) and everything else is going to be in "weird" places that won't make any sense. The joys of rural living! (Doesn't bother me at all, but I do need to replace my busted anemometer for real wind speed readings at my house... because nothing put out by ANYBODY even gets close...) :)

I live in the same county as DenverPilot and I got a number of NWS warnings, both from a weather app and Elbert County OEM. I know at least one was for a winter storm warning.

Back