WWII F4U Corsair training film!

Those are some stalls! No wonder they called it the Ensign Killer.

I like leaning it back to an economical cruise of 40gph!:eek:

After watching that I have alot more respect for the WWII flyers.

And always wondered if I'd have been able to make it....
or have just washed out...

I've wondered the same thing about myself. It's interesting that you pose the question though. Before the US entered WWII, the RAF was actively recruiting American pilots to fly for England when it was becoming increasingly clear that they were going to be fighting the Germans dispite Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasment. And where was the RAF setting up recruitment booths? Right outside American AAF bases. And who were they recruiting? AAF washouts. Enough that they were able put 3 squadrons of Americans into Spitfires and Hurricanes. These three squadrons of American washouts flying for the RAF became known as the "Eagle Squadrons". After the United States entered the war, the three squadrons were repatriated into the USAAF, and became the 4th Fighter Group. This group, made up largely of washouts from Army flight training went on to become the highest scoring fighter group in the European Theater of Operations! 1016 enemy aircraft destoyed!

Looks like a good first plane for you Tom!!
Heheheh... with the canopy open...

at 299 kts no one can hear you scream . . .

Yeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:D

Of course, then there's the stall characteristics . . .

Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:eek:

;)

Last edited:
Back in the mid 80's I got to listen in as the owner of a Corsair gave his chief pilot a send off briefing prior to his first Corsair flight. After a serious discussion of flying characteristics and helpful hints I heard this.
"You ain't no Navy pilot, so don't even think about 3 pointing it. Wait till I'm gone to take off. And last but not least, if you crack it up, don't even think about surviving!!

After watching that I have alot more respect for the WWII flyers.

And always wondered if I'd have been able to make it....
or have just washed out...
Lots of respect for the early aviators. It is truly amazing what they went through, many learning as they went.
Wonder if I'd have made it through too.

Back