WWII Aviation Item Question ... need help

buckandup

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Buckandup
Hello All -

I am new here and could use some help.

I have an "Aerol Hand Strut Pump" that I believe was to be used in an emergency to pressurize the Aerol Landing Gear in WWII war planes.

It was manufactured by Cleveland Pneumatic

I am trying to verify it's use in WWII aviation history.

I have attached some pics.

If anyone has any knowledge about this item they would like to share with me, please feel free to drop me an email.

Thank you for looking !!!!

pump1.JPG

pump2.JPG

pump3.JPG

pump4.JPG

pump5.JPG

pump6.JPG

Well, it looks like a tire pump. On the third and fourth picture, it says "Strut Pump". That indicates to me it is a pump used to pump up an oleo strut. Think main landing gear on a Cherokee. What I don't know is if it can multiply the pressure. IOW pump to a higher pressure than can be normally provided by a typical bicycle pump.

I am not sure what you mean by pressurizing the landing gear in an emergency. It isn't really an emergency type issue.

What greg said. likely for pumping struts. I can't imagine a configuration that would have you using a pump like that to try and deploy gear in an emergency.

Hello -

From what I have been able to find, this Aerol hand pump will allow you to pump up to 2500 PSI. It's not just a Bicycle pump, it has two chambers inside and pumps when you push down and pull up.

Early WWII planes had landing gear filled with air & nitrogen. After a high altitude flight, the struts loose pressure due to temp and other factors ( what I read ). If the rear strut was not pressurized properly, upon landing, it would make the tail spin out.

From what I could find, they make mention that a "Hand Pump" like this one was used in the event of low pressure.

Was hoping to come across a WWII pilot or expert on here to verify such a thing existed.

Thanks for all your posts !

Here is some history about the company

GOODRICH LANDING GEAR has been the world's largest manufacturer of aircraft landing gears. Founded in 1894 as the Union Electric Co. by Claus Greve, the company manufactured electric generators for 4 years before turning to the manufacture of pneumatic tools. The Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Co., as it was then called, made drills, valves, and couplings. In 1908 it produced the rock hammer drills used to dig the Panama Canal. With the onset of World War I, the company moved to a new factory at 3734 E. 78th St. To compensate for a small tool market after the war, the company introduced the Gruss Air Spring, a shock absorber used on luxury cars. By 1926 it had adapted this pneumatic technique to aircraft and built the first aircraft landing gear, which became standard throughout the industry. Cleveland Pneumatic's growing expertise made it the major landing-gear supplier for military and commercial aircraft. During World War II it trained other companies to produce its product, thus laying the groundwork for postwar competition. Aside from landing gear, Cleveland Pneumatic's product line included hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, and electromechanical equipment and air-frame components. Founder Claus Greve's son, LOUIS†, contributed approximately 50 patents during his career, including the Aerol Strut for aircraft. For a time Cleveland Pneumatic was unique, because it was owned by its employees. In 1953, 2 employee trusts were established and financed by company contributions. Disagreement over management of the trusts led to several bitter strikes in the 1950s and to stockholder discontent. Eventually Cleveland Pneumatic was acquired by Textron, which had managed the trusts through its 60 Trust of Boston arm. Textron opened stock ownership to the public and moved the company headquarters to Boston. In 1984 the company was acquired by IC Industries, which sold it 4 years later to Pneumo Abex of Hampton, NH. B.F. Goodrich of Bath, OH, purchased Cleveland Pneumatic in May 1993. The company maintained its local plant at 3781 E. 77th St., as well as a second plant in Tullahoma, TN, and an overhaul facility in Miami, FL., although the address of the Cleveland plant shortly changed to 8000 Marble Avenue. On June 1, 2001, B.F. Goodrich shortened its name, and the operation became the Goodrich Landing Gear Division.
http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=GLG

Contacting the current company may be useful as they could have an archive or history department.

Some more interesting background about the company

http://earlyaviators.com/egreve.htm

In 1903, Lou began submitting the first of his 46 patents. His first patent was awarded in 1904 for his impact tool design, now widely known as a "jack hammer". Some of his other personal patents include; early automotive shock absorbers (air springs), shock absorbers for aircraft (3), aircraft struts, aircraft shock absorbing pedestals, amphibian shock absorbers, aircraft shock absorbing struts (2), and landing wheel mountings for aircraft. One of Lou's shock absorbers for aircraft was manufactured as the "Aerol Strut". This was the first oleo-pneumatic shock absorbing struts for aircraft. In 1927, Lou sat on a board attached to the bracing struts of a taxiing plane to take motion pictures of the first experimental set of Aerols. This particular landing gear apparatus made take-offs and landings smoother and safer. Aerols would make landings for bombers and military aircraft viable on the limited, unsteady deck space of carriers. The first take-off of a bomber at sea was Aerol equipped. Aerols would become widely accepted and standardized for all sectors of aviation. Admiral Byrd's aircraft was outfitted with Aerols for his flight to the South Pole. In 1935, the first successful, retractable landing gear units were Aerols. Cleveland Pneumatic Tool built a separate company division, Cleveland Pneumatic Aerol, dedicated solely to landing gear development and production.

An interesting article that makes mention of strut history, http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/192153-1.html

I would say that for sure that is a strut pump. Most of the information I find talks about the air races and invention of the strut itself as well as the inventor. That such a pump was used in WW2 is a possibility.

I personally have never heard of a reference of someone using such a pump in flight. Certainly on the ground I have seen and heard of pumps being use to recharge a strut. That does not mean that it is impossible. But I find nothing that tells me this is what you have. It may be more likely that you have a simple strut pump that was used by ground crews. Certainly if that was in for in the air use the design is not at all optimal. I would think that if it were to be used commonly in the air it would be mounted in the aircraft and not require someone to hook it up and stand. There were very few aircraft that such a configuration would be possible. Even the large at the time B17 had little room to stand in, certainly none in the tail.

BTW pumps like this are still in use today as evidenced by this one from Skygeek http://www.skygeek.com/bogert-high-pressure-strut-pump.html

Last edited:
Back