WWII aircraft plant

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
I got this in an email I am not sure if this is true or not.

How many of you were alive during WWII? America did a lot of things to stay safe. Lockheed Burbank was in California.

This is so amazing…..

Lockheed Burbank during World War II. This is something I have never seen and the parking lot with the variety of cars is also interesting.

Lockheed During W.W.II (unbelievable 1940s pictures). This is a version of special effects during the 1940's. I have never seen these pictures or knew that we had gone this far to protect ourselves.

During World War II the Army Corps of Engineers needed to hide the Lockheed Burbank Aircraft Plant to protect it from a possible Japanese air attack. They covered it with camouflage netting to make it look like a rural subdivision from the air.

The first picture is a before shot.

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    838.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.bmp
    745.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.bmp
    801.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.bmp
    951.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.bmp
    766.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 7.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 8.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 5
Yup. The lengths gone to, because of fear of a Japanese attack on the West Coast, were extraordinary.

Interestingly, despite the concerns, there were (obviously) only a few minor attacks. The first were from Japanese submarines surfacing, firing a few shots from deck guns, and in an instance or two launching a seaplane, in the aftermath of Pearl Harbor (you can imagine the hysteria caused, and rightly so).

The second was very late in the war - balloons carrying incendiary devices were launched from Japan, carried across the Pacific through the jet stream (the existence of which was newly discovered, and which caused some serious problems for high-altitude bombing of Japan), and caused a few minor problems in the Pacific Northwest.

Good summary here, if anyone's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_North_America_during_World_War_II#Japanese_operations

Last edited:
Did they ever ban play-doh?

Play-Doh wasn't around during World War II. Well, it wasn't around as Play-Doh. It was originally developed in the 1930s as a wallpaper cleaner. In the mid-fifties the manufacturer learned it was being used as a modeling compound and reworked it into Play-Doh.

Back