WV62-Windwood Fly-In Resort Airport

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Ahhh Gary my good friend you beat me to the punch. I have been looking at Windwood for about two or three years now. I do not have any pireps but Ed Fred and I have been discussing putting something together there. I wanted to wait until after all the Flyins Wings FlyBQ, Gastons and 6Y9er had passed so as not to take folks away from those flyins.

I orginally looked at it as an alternative to Gastons (NOT BECAUSE OF ANY NEGATIVES ABOUT GASTONS I WANT TO MAKE THAT CLEAR) But because it is kind of a cross between Gastons and 6Y9er and much much more affordable for me. To be honest the cost for me as a renter to get out to the midwest is pretty high ( but worth every penny to see the good people of POA) .

I have done a good bit of research on Windwood and found it to be pretty darn reasonable. They have a long paved runway and although Grass is well more natrual,LOL. paved solves some problems for renters, They have a motel and bunk house on premisis The motel was like $45 a night two to three years ago and the bunkhouse was litterally only a few bucks a night as long as you don't mind being in a room in bunks with 10 other people. They have a restaurant that is very inexpensive and lots to do in the area from White water rafting, Mountain biking, golf, fishing and hiking. The travel time and cost for folks further west would be higher but the on site costs would be significantly less.

Ed and I were thinking of meeting up there for a weekend just to check it out and see if it was worth recommending it to POA.

My concern frankly was that I don't want it to 'Compete' with any of our other flyin events. It could be a nice fall event but getting time in the fall is hard for a lot of folks.

Its worth talking about for sure.

Mary made the same comments about putting together a fly-in for the POA group. I think we are going to plan a date and go check the place out.

I still need to add Gastons and 6Y9 to my places traveled in order to make the claim I've attended all the major functions. 09 might be the time I can finally catch up, Mary won't do 6Y9 with no hotels and thats ok. I'm still working on her for Gastons, but she is not thrilled about the heat and no activities for the non-flying folks.

Gary Gastons is HOT and HUMID and a big activitly is sitting really still under one of the Tents. She can go fishing there and apparently its pretty darn good. And while there is a lot of flying there is a lot of schmoozing and haning around. Cocktails in the eveing and a pool to cool off in if the flight line is not your thing all make for a fun friendly time.

Certainly the WV Mountains are cooler but theres still stuff for non pilots at Gastons. You might also check with Diana as I seem to recall that there may be some Antiquing places near by, not sure about that though.

Maybe us easterner will go check out Windwood and figure something out for the fall or some other time in mid- summer.

I haven't made it to any of the POA events, but I would definitely go to Winwood. It sounds really superb, and its in a cool area. It's far more convenient for us eastern types. I was actually going to go there for a long weekend not that long ago, but had to scrub for wx. The only bad thing I can think of is that mountains make weather and eat airplanes.

Last year I looked over the website pretty carefully.....

Its' much more "bunkhouse-y" and less cabin-y and I think the accomdations are a bit downscale. But the environment looks nice.

Bruce they have two different types of accomodations. The bunk house and the Motel.

The Motel is pretty nice with a pool and well appointed here are some photos

http://www.windwoodresort.com/MOtel Photo Gallery.htm

The bunk house is just that a BUNK HOUSE Rustic VERY basic and cheap. Its probably good for things like Scout troops or CAP Cadets or those that want to attend a fly in and could care less about the accomodations. Its does provide a lounge w/ satellite TV, bathrooms w/ showers for men and women and Here are photos of the bunk house

http://www.windwoodresort.com/BUNKS.htm

Back