WTB: Preheater

willier

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
willier
Lookingfor a Red Dragon type preheater...Just thought I'd ask to see if anything is around...

You can build your own for a fraction of the cost of the red dragon. Purchase a 75000 BTU shop heater, flew pipe reducer and some flexible heater duct. Total less than $200.00

If you can plug it in the night before or leave it plugged in 24/7 this works great. Put the nozzle where the exhaust comes out. About $40.

RV Heater.JPG

You can build your own for a fraction of the cost of the red dragon. Purchase a 75000 BTU shop heater, flew pipe reducer and some flexible heater duct. Total less than $200.00

The issue is 120 volts..Don't have access at the tiedown..:frown2:

The issue is 120 volts..Don't have access at the tiedown..:frown2:

So, buy an inverter for your car/truck. A good one will have plenty of capacity to run the fan on a "salamander" style heater (or "torpedo" heater...depending on where you're from) and the fan is the only thing that requires electric.

I pre-heat using a 35,000 btu propane salamander blowing into a ductwork setup very similar to what Geico shows in his photo. It will raise all CHT temps 50dF and the oil temp 20dF above ambient in 30 minutes. A 20dF rise in the oil temp is typically plenty for Missouri. But if it's colder, I simply pre-heat longer. I can count on a 10dF rise for each 15 minutes of pre-heat.

Note: It's my thinking that when using a salamander, you need to leave a small gap between it and the ductwork. Salamanders aren't designed to handle external static pressure and the gap will keep the ductwork from inducing a static pressure load on the unit and overheating it. I may be too conservative with this approach but it's what I do.

EDIT:

By the way WELCOME!

Last edited:
Lookingfor a Red Dragon type preheater...Just thought I'd ask to see if anything is around...

Have you looked at the Red Dragon's competition? I have the Red Dragon and I like it but when I saw this one in a more compact design I wondered if it wasn't a slightly better package for a forced air propane option...

Also, unlike the Red Dragon (I think) you have the option of ordering either a 12v, or 110v model.

BTW my Red Dragon's not for sale :nono: ;)

Last edited:
Back