WTB: Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Textbook

I have it but I do not want to sell it. It is a great book for instrument but there are better if your main purpose is the commercial part. Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot is very good for the commercial knowledge.

I have it but I do not want to sell it. It is a great book for instrument but there are better if your main purpose is the commercial part. Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot is very good for the commercial knowledge.

I would like to use the best study material for the commercial knowledge exam. Is the general consensus Bob Gardner's Advanced Pilot book is the best one?

Thanks

The FAA books "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" and "Airplane Flying Handbook" are pretty well filled with the information you need if you already have them. If not, they are good to keep on hand when reviewing information to remain current and to prepare for flight reviews.

The Jep book is great but pricey as ever. I honestly can't speak to Bob's book since I've never seen it.

The Gleim Commercial Knowledge Test Prep book is tops as far as written prep as far as I'm concerned. When you study as well as take the knowledge test, I recommend taking with you the mechanical E-6B (as well as electronic if you have one), a ruler with a red line down the center and a magnifying glass. You'll want to rework problems continuously so you may want to make copies of some pages, particularly the performance charts in order to make study easier.

Jeppesen's Instrument Commercial is a phenominal book, and IMHO, the only Jeppesen book worth studying from.

I have it, but I do not want to sell it, unfortunately. Good luck.

Oh, I misread that. I did not, I used it for the IR written, you are correct.
It is the best IR book out there, hands down. But I think there is like one chapter for commercial. That is why I recommended the Gardner book. Kenny mentioned Gleim and I used them too for test prep.

It is the best IR book out there, hands down. But I think there is like one chapter for commercial. That is why I recommended the Gardner book. Kenny mentioned Gleim and I used them too for test prep.

It may be the best IR. You misread my statement: Its the only Jepp book worth reading, every other Jeppesen book is garbage. Ever read "Aviation Weather?"

It may be the best IR. You misread my statement: Its the only Jepp book worth reading, every other Jeppesen book is garbage. Ever read "Aviation Weather?"
I read that and then transposed into my statement, I did not mean to misquote you.

I did not like the Jep private book, I preferred Machado and I am not familiar with Aviation WX.

I read that and then transposed into my statement, I did not mean to misquote you.

I did not like the Jep private book, I preferred Machado and I am not familiar with Aviation WX.

Yes! If Rod Machado would get off his duff (lol) and write a commercial book, I'd use it in a heartbeat. I used his Private book exclusively for my PPL.

As for Aviation Weather - take a bunch of old wives tales, add in some BS science that doesn't even make sense, and you've got a book that should have never been published.

Yes! If Rod Machado would get off his duff (lol) and write a commercial book, I'd use it in a heartbeat. I used his Private book exclusively for my PPL.

As for Aviation Weather - take a bunch of old wives tales, add in some BS science that doesn't even make sense, and you've got a book that should have never been published.
YIKES!

Isn't there some Multi book (non-Jepp) that also enjoys that bad reputation but for some reason is still published as well?

Hmmm... I've got their Aviation Weather, but haven't read it yet (I picked up the wrong round tuit). Should I just skip it?

And I too have the Jepp Instrument Commercial and agree, there's not much in there on the commercial. But I'm not parting with it! :no:

Hmmm... I've got their Aviation Weather, but haven't read it yet (I picked up the wrong round tuit). Should I just skip it?

And I too have the Jepp Instrument Commercial and agree, there's not much in there on the commercial. But I'm not parting with it! :no:

i would read it for fun, but not trust any of the information presented in it.

I will toss in a recommendation for the ASA Pilot Manual series. As complete and well produced as Jepp for 1/2 the price.

Bill Kershner's books are top notch in content, though lacking in jazzy graphics.

I have Bob Gardner's Multi-Engine Pilot book and it's very good. I assume it's indicative of the series.

I have decided to start the course work for my commercial. Does anyone have the Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Textbook and would like to sell it?

Here is a link to the one I'm looking for:

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_details.jsp?id=prod915

Thanks!

I have a copy on loan to Tom Sisk (ETSISK), ( I believe he has my copy of Bob G's Complete Advanced Pilot as well)Shoot him a PM to see if he is done with it, if so ,and he is willing to send it to you, you are welcome to use it on the condition you will pass it on to someone in the future.

Last edited:
Gleim for test prep. Hands down!!

I think that's pretty much all you need. The commercial rating is really about the maneuvers. That, and knowing the how, when and why's of carrying people for hire.

Back