WTB: Gas or electric powered tug for small aircraft

warddc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave W
I would like a gas or electric tug for a bonanza in upstate NY. I will drive to pick it up if not too far away. IM me if you have one for sale.

We have a gas tug, electric start.

In hind sight we should have just bought a used cheap golfcart off craigslist and put a hitch on it.

Another guy on the airport has a golfcart with a pintle hitch on the front and back, he hooks the tow bar to it, also has a plug for the GPU on the plane, if he is just running to another hangar he jumps in the cart. End of the day just plug it in and go home. IMO that's the best bang for the buck.

We have a gas tug, electric start.

In hind sight we should have just bought a used cheap golfcart off craigslist and put a hitch on it.

Another guy on the airport has a golfcart with a pintle hitch on the front and back, he hooks the tow bar to it, also has a plug for the GPU on the plane, if he is just running to another hangar he jumps in the cart. End of the day just plug it in and go home. IMO that's the best bang for the buck.

Cool idea. I had thought they would be much more, but a quick browse of my local area showed four that claimed to run great for between $500 and $1,000, including a couple of gas ones.

Cool idea. I had thought they would be much more, but a quick browse of my local area showed four that claimed to run great for between $500 and $1,000, including a couple of gas ones.

I'd get a electric one, they are really simple things, just make sure it has newer batteries.

It's cheaper to do something like this. You can also use it to take the plane to/from the fuel pumps and mow the grass around your hangar.

Attachments

• IMG01087-20110611-1355.jpg
    IMG01087-20110611-1355.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 69
We bought a $100 lawn tractor. My brother-in-law welded us up a tow bar from scrap metal and then welded a ball on the front of the mower.

Much cheaper, and works great for towing to/from the pumps as well.

Less mx, fluids, stink, BS on electric

I change oil every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Gas is the fuel sumped from the plane tanks. Less dead battery nonsense with a lawnmower vs a rechargeable tug that you thought was plugged in but the power went off overnight.

I change oil every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Gas is the fuel sumped from the plane tanks. Less dead battery nonsense with a lawnmower vs a rechargeable tug that you thought was plugged in but the power went off overnight.

You change oil? :dunno:

We have an older gasoline over electric golf cart up on a lift kit. Luv it. It can haul beer and girls to.

Yep. I mow with it too so it gets some use.

At my last house, a friend of mine gave me his 42" mower when he moved to Colorado. He'd never changed the oil in it (came with the house), and I didn't either. I think it was probably on at least 7 years with that oil change. I think the one at the airport will receive similar quality maintenance.

I do keep the airport mower on a battery tender. Makes sure that it starts up easily when I get there, especially in winter.

At my last house, a friend of mine gave me his 42" mower when he moved to Colorado. He'd never changed the oil in it (came with the house), and I didn't either. I think it was probably on at least 7 years with that oil change. I think the one at the airport will receive similar quality maintenance.

I do keep the airport mower on a battery tender. Makes sure that it starts up easily when I get there, especially in winter.
I just cant help myself. I also put a new sparkplug in in every fall, running on 100LL gums it up

I just cant help myself. I also put a new sparkplug in in every fall, running on 100LL gums it up

You over achiever. We run it on 87. Cheaper to bring the gas can to the airport.

At this point, I've found non-mower parts that effectively scrap the thing fail before the engine gives up due to lack of oil.

You over achiever. We run it on 87. Cheaper to bring the gas can to the airport.

At this point, I've found non-mower parts that effectively scrap the thing fail before the engine gives up due to lack of oil.
some of my neighbors suffer paranoi about sumping tanks and putting the fuel back into their planes. I've offered the "service" of letting them dump their fuel samples into my lawnmower, out of the goodness of my heart and a sense of responsibility to the community. I haven't bought lawnmower gas in years.

Ahh. I see that paranoia has reached 30 miles up the river. And I thought Lacon was insulated from P-town!

Ahh. I see that paranoia has reached 30 miles up the river. And I thought Lacon was insulated from P-town!
I'm waiting for the perennial someone to chime in with "if you throw it up in the doesn't it all evaporate before it hits the ground......."

some of my neighbors suffer paranoi about sumping tanks and putting the fuel back into their planes.

:confused:

Clean fuel goes right back into the tank, and the cap has to come off anyway.

Back