WTB: Cockpit Recording Audio Cable

SSDriver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SSDriver
By chance does anyone have a Cockpit Recording cable for sale or know where to find one?

I've been chasing Barnstormer Audio for a few weeks but they arent answering the phone or returning emails. :nonod: Their dealer Aircraft Spruce in Ga. told me they've been on backorder for over a month.

Looking for one of these: http://www.barnstormeraudio.com/products.html

Any leads would be appreciated!
Thanks Much,

just take any basic lapel mic and plop it in your headset earcup. Cheap and works great.

just take any basic lapel mic and plop it in your headset earcup. Cheap and works great.

Even better than the fancier solutions, IMO - You get a little bit of "color" from the engine noise, so it's a lot closer to being there than only hearing intercom audio.

I actually went cheaper yet: I use a pair of iPod earbuds to record audio. Just drop 'em into the earcups of your headset and plug into the mic port of your recording device. Here's one example of the results:

(just noticed that someone left a comment on it that says "Great Audio!" :thumbsup:

Even better than the fancier solutions, IMO - You get a little bit of "color" from the engine noise, so it's a lot closer to being there than only hearing intercom audio.

I actually went cheaper yet: I use a pair of iPod earbuds to record audio. Just drop 'em into the earcups of your headset and plug into the mic port of your recording device. Here's one example of the results:

(just noticed that someone left a comment on it that says "Great Audio!" :thumbsup:
That is nice audio.

That really is good stuff. Those earbuds are probably better at being mics than the average consumer built-in camcorder mic, LOL. And you can't get more "real" than having the mic right next to your ear.
Do you have a camcorder with a mic jack, or did you use an audio-only recorder and mix it in after?

That really is good stuff. Those earbuds are probably better at being mics than the average consumer built-in camcorder mic, LOL. And you can't get more "real" than having the mic right next to your ear.
Do you have a camcorder with a mic jack, or did you use an audio-only recorder and mix it in after?

Camcorder with mic jack - That was on the list of required features when I was shopping for a camcorder!

FWIW, the camcorder is a Canon HV20. Nice, HD, records on tape so you don't need to lug a computer around to record as much as you want.

That said, I'd probably get one that records onto SD cards these days.

I use this 6.5ft attenuating dubbing cable from radioshack with a phono to 1/8" adapter. The whole thing was less than $10.

It does tie up one of the intercom jacks, though. If you need to retain the use of the intercom jack, use a splitter.

Here's a sample of the audio, IFR arrival into ATL Hartsfield (plenty of radio work): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9o1S5V9Qc

Now I'm tempted to try either an earbud or that attenuating cable along with a mini AV cable to get at my iPhone's mic jack.

Kent's spot on. Take any set of EARBUDs (not a mic, just the thing you normally LISTEN to music with) and plug it into your mic-in jack and throw the pair of earbuds inside your headset cup, or a spare headset plugged into an extra jack.

That's how I recorded my Oshkosh arrival video, and it worked GREAT... and best part--I didn't need to BUY anything.

Never thought of using earbuds as a microphone... Nifty!

Take any set of EARBUDs (not a mic, just the thing you normally LISTEN to music with) and plug it into your mic-in jack and throw the pair of earbuds inside your headset cup, or a spare headset plugged into an extra jack.

I would say "any set" except AdamZ had a problem with a set of earbuds when trying this, and got crappy audio - I told him to try a set of iPod earbuds if he had them around, and those worked fine. Dunno what the "bad" ones were, though, or why. Adam?

I apologize for the topic drift, but I imagine the earbud approach will not work if there's no sidetone? I've noticed that, in some (but not all) of the trainer aircraft I've been in, I can not hear myself or my CFI when the mic is keyed, but normal intercom communication is fine. Does this imply a problem with the intercom and/or radio?

I apologize for the topic drift, but I imagine the earbud approach will not work if there's no sidetone? I've noticed that, in some (but not all) of the trainer aircraft I've been in, I can not hear myself or my CFI when the mic is keyed, but normal intercom communication is fine. Does this imply a problem with the intercom and/or radio?

I've been in planes like that too. Not sure if some of those older audio panels weren't designed for sidetone or not - All I fly behind these days is Garmin and PS Engineering, both of which are a lot nicer than the old Cessna/Narco stuff.

But what the earbuds will pick up is exactly what you're hearing - They're in your headset earcups after all. So without sidetone you'll hear yourself but it'll be quiet. Using an actual cable in an airplane without sidetone, you'll hear NOTHING.

I didn't have any luck with this setup today. Presumably the (600 ohm?) impedance of the intercom was not close enough to the 800 ohm impedance that iPhone wants to see on the mic jack.

Now I'm tempted to try [an] attenuating cable along with a mini AV cable to get at my iPhone's mic jack.

Back