Written Test Was Sixty....Three Questions?

LeeDeep

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LeeDeep
Just a quick one for you guys and gals. Just took (and passed) my private written. But everything I read and heard said to expect 60 questions. To my surprise, 60 came and went and the "submit" button didn't come until the 63rd. Luckily the two missed weren't #61, #62 or #63 so it didn't hurt my score, but definitely caught me off guard. Is that the new standard? Of course, three questions won't make or break it. Just curious if anyone heard something that I didn't.

Last edited:
The FAA adds a few test questions for review ,to get new questions into the system.

Congrats on passing. I don't remember how many were on the test when I took it

My instrument exam had three extra questions at the end that the proctor said would not count toward my score but were for new material trial on future exams.

But I don't recall this on my private so I figured it was just on the instrument exam....guess it's on both of them now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The FAA adds a few test questions for review ,to get new questions into the system.

This. On my three written tests to this point, there has been a disclaimer to that effect.

Yes, there are sample questions added to the test to be reviewed for future inclusion in later tests. I do not remember having these extra questions identified, though; perhaps they think if you know the question won't count, you won't work it, and that will mess up their data.

I had 2 or 3 extra too - took my test last September.

I passed the Sport Pilot knowledge test last week. There were 45 questions on the 40 question test. The new booklet that accompanies the test is awful. Some of the charts were blurry and almost impossible to read. Good news is I won't have to use it again!

When I took my test I was told there would be extra questions and they were randomly placed in the test.

When I took my test I was told there would be extra questions and they were randomly placed in the test.

I'm studying for my written now and this is exactly what Gleim says about the extra questions.

oh, and I forgot to add.....that you (obviously) won't know which are the 'new test' questions and they won't count towards your score.

...and they don't count (positive if correct or negative if wrong), but unless you really know the question bank, you don't know which ones they are, so do your best on every question even if you think it's experimental.

If you are able to remember the wording of the question, and the three answers, SheppardAir offers an incentive for you to call them with the information. Usually in the form of a discount or "No Surprises" rebate.

If you are able to remember the wording of the question, and the three answers, SheppardAir offers an incentive for you to call them with the information. Usually in the form of a discount or "No Surprises" rebate.

I wouldn't have a clue which ones were the test questions. They all seemed pretty close the study bank that I had been using. And officially, I am not divulging any information obtained from my test sessions to any outside parties as per FAA regulations.

But what what is their number, again? :rolleyes:

I just took mine (and passed!) last Monday. Those caught me by surprise as well but they don't count towards or against your score. That said, I didn't care for that method at all. Imagine if there were 10 extra questions like that, I didn't quite feel it was fair to throw in experimental questions in the context of a real test, but maybe that's just me.

I spent the weekend leading up to the test really getting confident in all the areas I felt weak in and then naturally didn't get ANY questions on them. Didn't touch my E6B ONCE, didn't get a single weight and balance question (except for basically "what is the weight of gasoline?") or x country question either if I recall. Almost all the ones I missed were those pesky questions where the answer can't be figured out logically and just has to be committed to memory.

Back