Written Test Prep, Head Spinning.

bigevil

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bigevil
So as indicated in a previous thread I started here I've decided to tackle the written portion of the test first(as I save for lessons)....

I was off to a fantastic start, really really loving reading the PHAK & Gleim Handbook, as well as watching the Sporty's videos on my iPad learn to fly app. I was even able to read a lot of the FARs without falling asleep just because its exciting to me to pas my written.... All was going great, killing the practice tests on the topics covered up until now but then.....

Weight & balance, performance calculations, and density altitude math. It is literally killing me. Whats strange is that traditionally math is my strongest point but for some reason all of the examples & questions in this section have overwhelmed me to the point of throwing my hands u. I downloaded the Sporty's E6B app for my iPad (after spending 45 minutes on one problem doing it with no flight computer and just a standard calculator) and while that will probably make it easier I still can't figure out any of it.

I was wondering if any of you guys(and gals) had any suggestions / tips / training that would specifically cover that section. I can conceptually grasp it (I understand the concepts behind ARMs, Moment, Balance, CG etc etc...) but just can't seem to apply it when it comes time to solving problems presented (my numbest aren't even close to any of the choices!)

Thanks so so very much for your help!

There's an entire document on the FAA website for W&B (FAA-H-8083-1A). The key is that you don't need to do all the calculations in detail, all you need to understand is the algebra when changing a component, e.g. shifting the CG. You don't need the E6B, just paper, pencil and simple algebra. Remember, move all the pieces around until the single unknown is on one side of the = sign, do the math, and there's the answer. Go look at Chp 2 of the W&B book, and there's all 4 calculations you need.

Also, your numbers will rarely match the FAA's. You go for the "best" match to the FAA answers.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, I'll dig in now.

Murph covered W&B.

When you say "Density Altitude calculations", what kind are you doing? Most of the FAA questions are going to require an E6B or similar or at least some memorized rules of thumb to get close to the correct answer.

"Performance calculations", usually that's an exercise in chart reading more than math. What kind of problem are you solving for?

Some folks trip on the fact that most POHs make the math actually go away. Think "written for dumb pilots" here. You usually just slide your finger across a chart to where two pieces of information intercept, interpolate if you're between lines, and that's about it.

Need some examples of what your text is throwing at you.

My two cents - be careful how soon you do the real written test. Sure you have the book knowledge but get experience in the plane it'll totally tie it all together. I passed the written early and then had some hurdles/financial issues to get through. I had 2 months left on my 24 month pass of my test. When I got to the end I thought "Geez I could've done so much better on the written if I just waited"

Some good advice above, but remember... you will not be allowed to bring your iPad, or any device with memory storage, into the test cubicle with you. You can bring a whiz wheel or electronic E6B, and a simple calculator... start studying with those tools, not software. They will provide pencils and scrap paper, so study with those, too.

Having said that, I'll add that if you have the permitted tools, the calculations should not tax your brain too much. They are all multiple-choice, too, which should help you.

Don't sweat it. That's an easy test as long as you understand the fundamentals you should be fine.

Or you can memorize the whole question bank(at least the calc questions) and be done.:nono::nono::nono:

I had some problems with W&B in the beginning. Then I realized it was just Ohm's law with a different set of variables. I can do Ohm's law in my sleep. Maybe visualizing W&B in the context of something you're familiar with would help.

I just passed my written test on Sunday 10-7-2012.
This is 49 hours into my training. I am about at the end, and about to start preparing for the check ride, even though I would consider the whole training as preparation for the check ride.
As said earlier. If you do the test to soon, and can not finish up in the 24 months, you are going to have to do it over. Just keep studying, and comprehending the information. Talk with your flight school/instructor. They may want you to take an actual ground school. However, I do think at least one of the online schools when you pass will give you the endorsement to take your Knowledge test. Don't quote me on that.
You are definitely going to find some topics that you will need help on. If you take your time, it will all make sense. And, that is important. Make sense of the information, not just know it form rote ability.

Great advice.
I'm going to tackle the rest of the subjects now to get my momentum and confidence back up and save W&B for the end. I think it'll help to read the W&B FAA book, also start using a non iPad E6B and also working through some of my questions with my CFI at the airport (for a more practical take on it).

W & B is really not to complicated. I think when you initially look at it, it may be confusing. Once you work through several problems, it is pretty simple.

I haven't read over all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if somebody already mentioned this in the thread:

My CFI had me do the Sporty's practice tests (study buddy) day in and day out. And it really worked, there's only certain questions the FAA can ask you, they're in a database of questions what have already been made. Sporty's uses these exact questions, and I remember having some of the same questions on the actual test as I practiced on the Sporty's site.

Anyway, best of luck to you, you'll do fine. The pass rates on this exam (as I recall) are pretty high. As it is with the checkride, your CFI wouldn't send you if you weren't ready. He's putting his name on the line too!

Get the ASA book Test Prep book. It's got all the questions and answers and how to solve them.

My CFI would have LOVED if I had the written done before my first lesson.

He had a rule that you can't solo (a second time) until you pass the written. He feels that passing separates the "serious students" from the "ones who just want to fly but not do the work." He thinks it becomes too big of a hurdle if they wait too long.

I, however, was stubborn and worked full time. I never solo'd so we moved on to WB / Cross Country and then after 40 hours I finally solo'd. By then I started studying for and taking the written.

I can tell you from experience those sections MADE SENSE TO ME because I had done them in my flight lessons. I would have been totally lost if I just studied by the book.

Also, remember, the oral portion of the checkride is similar to the written so the closer the two are the more your studying can count for TWO things and still be fresh in your mind.

I am taking the Private Pilot Written (Ground School) for 13 weeks at the college - a night class - just as a refresher and because I want to be an FAA Ground Instructor one day and teach students. I passed my written last year in May (2012) but I have already forgotten a lot of the stuff I don't use on every flight.

My CFI wanted the written done before the checkride.

Sheesh! Demanding SOB! ;) ;) ;)

Back