Written test endorsement question?

N2124v

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N2124V
How long is the endorsement for a written test valid? I ask because I have taken and passed my IR written (several years ago) just life has prevented me from getting the flying done in a timely manner. What I want to do is take my written, then go somewhere and finish my rating.

IIRC if you passed the IR, then you don't need another endorsement to take it again. I'm in the same situation.

But then, what do I know?

Probably easiest to call a place that does said testing and ask them. They'd know best.

If you took the written previously, and passed, it appears you can retake it for a new / higher score without a new endorsement.

The following link seems to describe the testing procedure. I didn't see anything saying you can't take a new test if you passed the previous time.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=37E322DFC7FF65D6852571AA00575D58

I don't believe the endorsement to take the written exam expires....

If you took the written previously, and passed, it appears you can retake it for a new / higher score without a new endorsement.

The following link seems to describe the testing procedure. I didn't see anything saying you can't take a new test if you passed the previous time.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=37E322DFC7FF65D6852571AA00575D58

I don't believe the endorsement to take the written exam expires....

Well I suppose the instructor could specify an expiration date in the endorsement, but most don't.

I don't have the link, but the FAA says you can use an expired passing written test report as authorization to take the test, e.g. if you lost the endorsement anyway.

Yeah, I think the 24 months was up about 3 years ago. I do still have my log book endorsement and my test result. Really just a random question.

There is no time limit on written test endorsements in 61.35. If you haven't failed the test since the endorsement was given, you could take or retake the test years later. However...

The FAA has a penchant for changing and adding questions every year or sooner. If you haven't trained on the latest material the test covers, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise -- especially on the IR test to which the FAA added a bunch of questions on GPS and icing (including de-icing systems) earlier this year without fanfare. This bit a lot of people using older training materials which weren't updated. For that reason, if it's been more than a couple of months since your endorsement, even if you don't need a new endorsement, consultation with an instructor active in written test training for that particular certificate/rating would be a really good idea.

Back