Writeup of my first solo Long XC

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
It's not that exciting of a writeup compared to others, but I wanted to document it for my progress thread and there might be a couple things for other students to learn from my mistakes:

Planning: It was over 90-degrees much of the afternoon, and the flight was scheduled 5-8pm to avoid some of the thermals. No one had the plane scheduled after me, so I changed the reservation to 5:30-8:30 just to give me a little more evening flight in calmer winds. Plane had been in use all day, so the cockpit was already nice and hot when I began the pre-flight.

KIDI – Takeoff:
Wind was 140@5. I pulled out the little E6 calculator on my phone during preflight weather check, which gave me a crosswind of 3.2 and a tailwind of 3.9 taking off on 28. I didn’t think that would be very noticeable and lined up on my “familiar” runway of 28. I checked the density altitude which was 3000 so, again, I didn’t think the tailwind would be that noticeable. My CFI happened to be flying in to the airport and made his 5-mile call to use runway 10. I knew then that I should have opted for the 3.9 headwind from 10 instead of the tailwind from 28. My instructor and I shared some radio calls after he landed. While he left the decision to me as PIC, I should have known better and gladly performed a short-field takeoff from 28 upon his “hint” to do so. No issues with takeoff, and I got to practice another short-field takeoff. Lesson learned: don’t let a “familiar” airport or runway interfere with the common sense of flying the plane.

KIDI-KFKL Leg:
I planned this leg at 4500 with an estimated ground speed of 105, and estimated the winds aloft to be 11.5. Other than the clouds appearing to be right at my head, pilotage and dead (ded) reckoning went well. For a student pilot fairly inexperienced with clouds, seeing the “flat” bottoms of the clouds where the ceiling began was an interesting site. Transitioned to the weather and CTAF of KFKL about halfway through the leg and checked the weather as soon as possible. No real changes from the pre-flight weather so my planned runway of use still remained. There was, however, considerable traffic and an ILS approach at the same time I was positioning for the downwind. I informed everyone that I would make a 360-degree turn southeast of the airport and allow others to land. Maybe not the best approach to use, but I got to enjoy a little “relaxed” flying time while others cleared the pattern. Landing went well, although not a smooth as I would have preferred but I got to practice another transition from crab to slip.

KFKL-KFIG Leg:
Couldn’t hit my planned 5500 altitude on this leg without getting into the clouds. I kept it down to 4500 again, hit my large city markers on the chart and began my descent into KFIG. This is a mountain/hills/valley area, and it was a little unsettling seeing towers to my left that were higher than I was not too far away, which really made me keep a sharp eye out for obstructions. Wind was variable and knocked me around quite a bit during my base-to-final. I thought I would be too high and off to the side and was ready for a go-round, but I put her into a slip with FULL left rudder and she lost altitude quickly and fell into line with the centerline. I owe my CFI a big thanks for all the slip practices up to this point.

KFIG-KIDI:
The stretch home. No really great markers on the chart and this was the only leg where I snuck a peak at the purple line on the GPS a little more often. 4500 kept me clear of clouds, wind had died down and the ride was pretty smooth and comfortable. I was able to enjoy some scenery, dialed-in the weather and CTAF for KIDI, and about 20 miles out I was seeing some familiar sites. Did a turn-around-a-point over a large pond “just because” I was enjoying the flying and I knew that I was just about to finish my first solo long XC. Wind was about the same as before, so I chose runway 10 to land. X-wind let me practice that extreme rudder slip again, and I floated this landing down to be the best one of the day – which was very fitting for ending my first solo long XC!

nice writeup. I like this:
" Did a turn-around-a-point over a large pond “just because” "
on the way back from my last lesson hitting the pattern (for the billionth time) I said I need to change it up and did a turn around a point, just because. well, also to practice it.

Hobo,
Sounds like a good trip and a learning experience too. Good job!!

Thanks Gary. Two things REALLY stuck out in retrospect. First, choosing my favorite runway direction even though it had a slight tailwind was a mistake. Second, even though I was under 3000 AGL on my second leg and hemispheric rules really didn't apply, that doesn't mean someone else WASN'T abiding by these rules and could have been flying right at me. I should have tried to get as close to my planned 5500 as possible while still staying under the clouds vs. just picking 4500 like I did. I lived, I learned, and now I get another chance to try and improve...

choosing my favorite runway direction even though it had a slight tailwind was a mistake. .

No it wasn't. Slight winds aren't going to affect you that much. This will be good training for those flights when tower gives you a tail wind takeoff or landing.

Thanks Gary. Two things REALLY stuck out in retrospect. First, choosing my favorite runway direction even though it had a slight tailwind was a mistake. ..

You did fine. You're going to get a tailwind component sometime and you are attempting head wind take-offs, so no problem there.

One of my post PPL flights (we're in a windy area), involved a pretty brutal crosswind. As I rolled onto the main taxiway near mid-field, the sock was constantly changing angle from a direct crosswind just enough to favor both departures for just a few seconds causing me to re-consider 3 or 4 times which end to depart. Just chose the one that seemed to be getting a little more benefit than the other and everything was fine.

Nice write-up. Thanks for going through the time to put it together and post it for us - I'm almost to that point in my training and it's nice to see how others go about their flight and the train of thought.

A modest tailwind landing is absolutely a good thing to try during training, but maybe the solo cross-country isn't the best time to do that.

A few knots can make a huge difference.

I took a 5 knot tailwind at Petaluma last week because there were four other airplanes on the ground and in the pattern doing just that, and I judged it to be less risky to land with the tailwind (with three times the runway I needed) than to be dodging oncoming traffic. I ended up over the numbers high and fast. Bled it off with a long landing at full flap -- slipping not an option due to first-time passengers. Touched down about halfway down the runway. Much longer, and I would have needed a go-around.

Some airports are only one way in. E.g., D83. You can take off into the ridge, but landing over it is not recommended.

Back