Wrigley Field, more or less

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
I'll be making an appearance as the Tron Guy this Saturday night at the Playground Theater, at 3209 North Halsted in Chicago (a couple of blocks from Wrigley Field). Looks like the weather will cooperate, so I'd like to fly myself over there. I'd prefer to stay in a Marriott or Hilton chain hotel (rewards points are a good thing), though I haven't seen any close to the theater yet.

I'll also need to get from whichever airport I use to the hotel, and from there to the theater, preferably without having to rent a car.

Anyone have suggestions for which airport I should fly in to? I'll be coming from FRM, which is to the west of Chicago, so I should be able to get to just about anything without having to struggle through the Class B (not that that bothers me; it's just that they've got a less-than-friendly reputation for little plane pilots).

I'm told that, as long as I can get to METRA from whichever airport I use, the rest is easy. So...which airport should I pick?

Jay,

The easiest way to get into and out of the city without help is MDW. You can grab the orange line (urban light rail called the 'el' in Chicago).

But MDW is a little expensive compared to other GA airports.

If you want to walk a little or cab it the 06C (about .5 to 1 mile to metra but no IAP), DPA or PWK.

If you would like some help and do not mind dealing with PoAers then I would recommend 3CK and giving me a call and I will pick you up and drop you off at the the Crystal Lake Metra station.

3CK does have several IAPs, free parking unless over night then only about $10/night and is on the NW side of the Class B which makes for easy access into and out of the Chicago area.

I'm told that, as long as I can get to METRA from whichever airport I use, the rest is easy. So...which airport should I pick?

Yeahbut, the closest Metra station to Wrigley Field is 3 miles due west. CTA is another matter. The Addison 'L' stop is less than a block away. I grew up living under that.

Yeahbut, the closest Metra station to Wrigley Field is 3 miles due west. CTA is another matter. The Addison 'L' stop is less than a block away. I grew up living under that.
Metra NW line does stop at the Addison 'L" but Jay will be getting the Metro that will take him into Chicago (Union Station), so he will hav eto back track to Wrigley via the CTA or cab.

Metra NW line does stop at the Addison 'L" but Jay will be getting the Metro that will take him into Chicago (Union Station), so he will hav eto back track to Wrigley via the CTA or cab.

Huh? I'm thinking the Grayland station on the Milwaukee District North Line. It's at Addison and Cicero.

In any case you can change trains from Schaumburg at Irving Park from the NW Line, then one stop to Addison on the Blue Line then to an Addison bus... and you're getting the bus a half mile closer on Addison than the Grayland station which is not on the line that goes to Schaumburg. Clear? :D

In any case, the guy in the Tron Suit should not be riding the CTA.

In any case you can change trains from Schaumburg at Irving Park from the NW Line, then one stop to Addison on the Blue Line then to an Addison bus... and you're getting the bus a half mile closer on Addison than the Grayland station which is not on the line that goes to Schaumburg. Clear? :D

I think, no I know you are confused. The Metra line that stops at Schuamburg (near 06C) goes nowhere near Irving Park.

The Metra NW line does though.

http://www.metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

Last edited:
I think, no I know youa re confused. The Metra line that stops at Schuamburg (near 06C) goes nowhere near Irving Park.

The Metra NW line does though.

http://www.metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

Oh yeah. W vs. NW. :p

Anyway Jay, Orange line from Midway to da loop. Change at State-Lake 'L' down the stairs and down the block and down the stairs to the Lake Street subway station to take the Red Line subway north (To Howard) to Addison.

Last edited:
As it happened, I wound up taking Metra from Schaumburg to my hotel just off the Magnificent Mile (well, mostly; cab to the Schaumburg Metra station, then another cab from Union Station to the hotel), then another cab from the hotel to the theater.

It would be nice if that Metra line ran more often than once every two hours on the weekend...

Wow, where did you park, Millionaire? When I was there a couple of years ago (parked at Atlantic), it was only about $55, IIRC.

Yeah, cuz, ya know, people said that was the place to go. (IIRC, Dr. Bruce said that, and my pax said that too.)

"Only" $55. Hah. :eek:

It would be nice if that Metra line ran more often than once every two hours on the weekend...
Heck, it's better than the Metra line that goes about 6 miles from my house. It runs 3 times a day, each direction on weekdays. It DOESN'T run at ALL on weekends!

Yeah, cuz, ya know, people said that was the place to go. (IIRC, Dr. Bruce said that, and my pax said that too.)

"Only" $55. Hah. :eek:
$55 is about on par with your "favorite" Class C north of the border! And it IS significantly cheaper than $120!:yes:

$55 is about on par with your "favorite" Class C north of the border! And it IS significantly cheaper than $120!:yes:

Grant, you sure like to get me to rant, don't ya? Hmmm. Get me to rant. I wonder why...

I wonder what $ignature at MKE charges now.

Back