Wow that's some wind

No, they mean heading. They know what the winds are - All the airplanes are affected by them. If they say "fly heading 090" that's what they mean - Fly the heading. If they want you to fly a course, they'll tell you so, though it'll usually be "maintain west of xxx".

Related question.... if the tower says to fly runway heading, are you supposed to follow the extended centerline of the runway or let the airplane drift without wind correction? If I'm into the wind it doesn't matter, but if there is a significant crosswind....

Related question.... if the tower says to fly runway heading, are you supposed to follow the extended centerline of the runway or let the airplane drift without wind correction? If I'm into the wind it doesn't matter, but if there is a significant crosswind....

Runway heading without correction. My understanding is that if they give you a heading, you fly the heading, not the course.

Correct, I just wasn't sure if it was different for the takeoff and a runway heading scenario as not staying on the extended centerline could possibly put you in conflict with another aircraft... though ATC knows that anyways.

Correct, I just wasn't sure if it was different for the takeoff and a runway heading scenario as not staying on the extended centerline could possibly put you in conflict with another aircraft... though ATC knows that anyways.

Again, see above. Look at the pilot/controller glossary and AIM quoted above. Fly runway heading means fly the heading without drift correction, not the extended centerline. If confused, ask.

Now if they tell you to remain in the upwind, then you fly extended certerline as the pattern is based on the certerline and not based on the headings.

I was out flying with my boss one day in a jet ranger. (I don't have a heli rating.) He was letting me fly. I was pretty happy that I was doing a reasonable 100 ft hover off a mtn top when he pointed to the airspeed. It was 80-85 kts. Some days you don't want to be downwind of the mtn top....

Back