Wound and Wound I Went.... the other direction!

K

KennyFlys

This morning, I had the pleasure of flying traffic watch for arriving traffic to watch the NASCAR race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. While the race was gonna be constant left turns, I was making right turns.

The traffic reporter thought it would be no problem to go down and just fly around the area and she'd be able to make her reports to a few radio stations... just that simple. Me, on the other hand, knew dang well little ole Tara Field was gonna be slammed to the wall. Ordinarily, it's a pretty relaxed, non-towered airport. But on race day, it's towered and extremely busy with arrivals almost as frequent as Hartsfield.

I asked her to mark a road map, showing me where exactly she wanted to fly. Given they were mostly to the east of Tara and arrivals would be across that area I wanted traffic separation and the ability to fly into Class Bravo. The lowest shelf on the south side is 3,500 and I was going right to the surface area. So, this morning I called TRACON and discussed what I was seeking. The supervisor faxed a sheet to me for specific information and a diagram of the Class B airspace with all sectors and the veil. I marked it along with radials and DME from the Atlanta VOR to match what she gave me on a road map.

When she gets in the plane, she's in her usual rush and isn't thrilled I'm going to be taking time to get a clearance. The information to be passed on to PDK for me never made it so as I flew out east, clear of Class B, the approach controller got me a squawk code and had me continue and remain clear of Class B. He'd have something more for me later on. Meanwhile, they have me drop from 3,000 down to 2,400 to slip lower under arrivals to Hartsfield. I was under a 3,500 foot shelf.

Just as I'm passing the center lines for Hartsfield, he asked me if 3,500 would work for my needs. I told him that would be perfect. He then clears me into Class Bravo and fly the area as requested.

A bit further down, I started flying along I-75 south from I-675 to McDonough, out Georgia 20 (a new four-lane) to the southside of the race track; then back north along US 41 to about 7 DME. From there, it was back east to the start point and repeat the course. I flew this about ten or twelve times. I lost track.

I was very surprised traffic was so light. In years past, traffic would be jammed something awful on the interstate and Highways 19/41. Apparently, there was more camping out this year. The new four-lane helped feed traffic into the area as well. Previously, all that traffic had to drive through the little town of Hampton on a two-lane road, right past Atlanta Center's facility. The churches in town would cancel the morning and night services and have a single service in the afternoon during the race. It was a light service with considerably less attendance as you might imagine. :)

Over the track were four fixed wing aircraft with banners and one helicopter with a banner. That was the first time I had seen a helo carrying a banner. The banner had to be at least 50'x50'. They were well below me but I'm sure still a concern to aircraft arriving to land. Since my controller also handled arriving traffic before turning them over to the tower, I heard every one. There was an arrival spaced every three to five minutes.

At one point, a plane was flown in over the field at 6,000 to drop about a half dozen parachutes. During the drop, I had to fly out to the west and come back to return to my course. I would have taken pictures but they weren't that visible in the air. Getting an air shot of the one carrying the flag would have been great.

When she decided there was no longer enough traffic to continue, she said to return when able. I called approached and advised them I was "ready to get out of your hair and return to PDK." He asked me if I wanted to fly over the top. "Sure, that'd be great!" He instructs me to climb to 5,500 and take a heading of 330. A bit later, more north to 350. I ended up about two miles off the east end of the runways at ATL.

About five miles north, drop down to 5,000. Another seven miles or so, descend at my discretion. So, I had four thousand left to drop before I switched to PDK and take a left base for 27. At shutdown, it was a decent 3.6 logged.

One particular issue... Upon landing I was dang glad I drank only one of the two 24 ounce Dr. Peppers I took with me. :eek: :)

Treo_030908_001.jpg

A distant shot of the track, approaching from the southeast.

Treo_030908_002.jpg

About three miles to the south of the track.

Treo_030908_004.jpg

From the west during the time I had to fly away for the parachute drop. You can see the whole track and the approach end of 24. The jet sitting on the taxiway was parked there... too big to go anywhere else! It looked like a Hawker but I wasn't sure from my altitude directly over it.

Treo_030908_005.jpg

A second attempt from the west... not any better. Still, not bad considering I wasn't looking down at what I was shooting.

Treo_030908_006.jpg

A great shot over the cowl of the track. If only it was as clear as the veiw I had! :)

Treo_030908_007.jpg

Approaching Hartsfield a few miles from the south.

Treo_030908_008.jpg

I just missed the "fifth runway" in this one. The shots were better straight down and from the north. But, the I-75/I-285 interchange looks great!

Treo_030908_010.jpg

Probably the best shot I could get of Hartsfield. You can see all five runways as well as Delta's TOC in the right forefront and the south cargo terminal on the left forefront. The 398' tower stands at the west end of the TOC buildings but it's not really visible.

Treo_030908_011.jpg

My last shot from the north edge but showing the north cargo terminal where FedEx rules.

Wow, Ken. Great story - though I was waiting for the traffic reporter to flip out, or at least need to use a "lady J" (see Sportys) or something.

It's great you had such a good working relationship with the Hartsfield controller. It seemed to help things go smoothly.

And I thought I was cool when I would fly to Concord, NC (JQF) and tower would tell me to "Report over the (Charlotte Motor) Speedway".

You need a better camera and an open window.

You need a better camera and an open window.
It's the best I could do with a Treo camera phone. And, I don't think the traffic reporter would appreciate me opening the window. At least, not with the attitude this one has.

Back