Would you buy it?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
Came cross a PA32. Rough specs:

1100 hours SMOH
Turbo rebuilt 100 hours ago, no inter cooler mod.
Compressions between 66-72 with two ciliders over 70, the rest under
Last annual in airframebook is 2012- confused
Last annual in engine log 2015, shows 2012-2015 annual inspections.
IFR checks expired.

Assuming the rest of the plane is all you want, but you dove into the logs and saw this, what would be your thoughts?

Nothing too bad, she sat for a while, maybe someone started an annual and stopped, if everything else checks out and he price is right, not that bad, I'd wager the compression numbers would come up with some use.

Would have to see the asking price. Could be a good deal at the right price. Or not.

Plane is priced near VRef.

Vref mean little to me.

What avionics? What's the price? Non GPS mid to low 20s?

I agree that we need more specifics to know… and I'm not aircraft pricing expert, so don't expect great answers from me. But, price always matters.

I have a friend who is looking at a $4K airplane that is WAY out of annual and just sitting on the field because the owner died 5-10 years ago. But, she considers it a value because she wouldn't mind dumping $20K into it and still seeing it as a value. But, a pristine version of the same aircraft might go for $50-70K today, depending on equipment, hours, etc.

Check the AD history. A single outstanding AD of the wrong sort could get very expensive.

All that really concerns me is the engine with the plane, that's why I only posted that. I already know what the plane is worth both book and street value. I'm hung up on the lack of annuals documented correctly and the compressions on a turbo engine in the 60s.

I don't want to buy it and find out I need for top overhauls. That changes my offer significantly.

Planes sitting ain't that big of a deal if they are stored with a little common sense.

All that really concerns me is the engine with the plane, that's why I only posted that. I already know what the plane is worth both book and street value. I'm hung up on the lack of annuals documented correctly and the compressions on a turbo engine in the 60s.

I don't want to buy it and find out I need for top overhauls. That changes my offer significantly.

Make an offer on that basis. See what happens.

There's a lot of variables you haven't provided. When was it last flown? How many hours in last year? Where is it located - humid or dry part of the country? That sort of thing factors into the engine risk assessment. You could do a borescope to look for internal rust or corrosion condition in the cylinders.

Planes sitting ain't that big of a deal if they are stored with a little common sense.

Big "if". I see a lot more neglected airplanes sitting at tie downs with grass growing around them than I see airplanes that appear to be stored with some common sense. I doubt the engines were prepped before the owners just stopped flying them.

However, if it has not been neglected I agree it might be just fine once flown a few hours and the compressions will probably improve.

Last edited:
If it was in a hangar, it ain't the end of the world

Nothing too bad, she sat for a while, maybe someone started an annual and stopped, if everything else checks out and he price is right, not that bad, I'd wager the compression numbers would come up with some use.
When the annual was started then stopped, there must be an entry stating what was completed and why the inspection was stopped.

Sounds kinda like my -35. The hidden items are the ones that get you. Go in with the reality you will be spend more then you did with the near perfect archer you just sold.

Sounds kinda like my -35. The hidden items are the ones that get you. Go in with the reality you will be spend more then you did with the near perfect archer you just sold.
The problem is that is my litmus test. That plane was as close as you can get to showroom new conditon wise. Annuals were non events. The prebuy/annual shop struggled to find anything wrong. They replaced two bolts on the stabilator and when I asked my MX about the validity of what he found, he laughed and said, well, they have to find SOMETHING wrong for the new owner right. The bolts were fine.

That was all they did. Seriously.

So looking at new planes for me, I have a hard time accepting all the nitpicking stuff I don't like and discount the whole plane and move on.

That's ok, with enough money you can fix anything;)

Have a AP take a quick look and do a prebuy if the one over looks promising, really it's much to do about nothing until you look under the hood

Back