Would these VFR practice approaches be loggable for currency?

After seeing the variety of opinions on here about it, I'm thinking that FSDO people probably have a similar variety of opinions. I'm thinking that I wouldn't log it for that reason alone, even though the regs don't appear to me to prohibit it.

After seeing the variety of opinions on here about it, I'm thinking that FSDO people probably have a similar variety of opinions. I'm thinking that I wouldn't log it for that reason alone, even though the regs don't appear to me to prohibit it.
Just a question about that specific concern:

The only things required for logging an approach for currency are:
(i) The location and type of each instrument approach accomplished; and
(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.[61.51(g)(3)]​

So, assuming the issue would come up to begin with, exactly how would anyone at the FSDO know that

KLBL ILS 35​

in your logbook was flown using an iPad? I guess the paranoia meter says that they might interrogate your safety pilot if serious questions about your currency came up in the investigation of an incident or accident, and your aircraft logs indicate your LOC radio was removed for repairs on that date but short of that unusual situation...?

Not suggesting it's ok to violate the rules (assuming there is a rule to be violated). Just wondering about the Fsdophobia.

Not suggesting it's ok to violate the rules (assuming there is a rule to be violated). Just wondering about the Fsdophobia.

'Fsdophobia' I love it. It's a mental illness that is of epidemic proportions around here lately!

Yes, as I freely admitted, I do at least one or two 'iPad' approaches a year and log them for currency.

The next time I am flying at PA-28 at night over an undercast and that red 'alt' light comes on I'll be glad I'd practiced my 'illegal' practice approach.

Wait until that happens to you and you won't be as worried that the LogBook SWAT team is going to kick down your door in the middle of the night.

The only things required for logging an approach for currency are:
(i) The location and type of each instrument approach accomplished; and
(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.[61.51(g)(3)]​

So, assuming the issue would come up to begin with, exactly how would anyone at the FSDO know that

KLBL ILS 35​

in your logbook was flown using an iPad? I guess the paranoia meter says that they might interrogate your safety pilot if serious questions about your currency came up in the investigation of an incident or accident, and your aircraft logs indicate your LOC radio was removed for repairs on that date but short of that unusual situation...?

Sure, but you can lie about nearly anything in your logbook without getting caught. Only minor difference here is there's also a witness. ;)

Sure, but you can lie about nearly anything in your logbook without getting caught. Only minor difference here is there's also a witness. ;)

That's why you write the name of a dead pilot in as the safety pilot. :D

That's why you write the name of a dead pilot in as the safety pilot. :D

I'm pretty sure a dead guy can't be a required crew member…. if for no other reason than 14 CFR 61.53(a)(1). Though I guess it's possible that a dead guy doesn't know he's dead….

I'm pretty sure a dead guy can't be a required crew member…. if for no other reason than 14 CFR 61.53(a)(1). Though I guess it's possible that a dead guy doesn't know he's dead….

Flight takes place on October 12, 2008

Put down the name of a pilot who died after October 12, 2008

Derp.

(I don't fill out my log book immediately after a flight)

...So, assuming the issue would come up to begin with, exactly how would anyone at the FSDO know that

KLBL ILS 35​

What if my safety pilot thinks I'm "lying" in my log book and reports me? ;)

Or, more likely, tries to convince me I'm wrong and we end up spending several days going round and round about it? No thanks, I've already had that experience in this thread, and don't feel the need to go through all the same arguments again! :)

Not suggesting it's ok to violate the rules (assuming there is a rule to be violated). Just wondering about the Fsdophobia

It's not so much a phobia as a realization that it's not that important to me, and that it's not going to kill me to fly an extra approach or two beyond what's legally required.

By the way, I've never tried flying an approach with an uncertified device, so it's not an issue that has come up for me before this thread.

Back