World's youngest Citation X pilot

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
I have no idea who she is other than she told me her name is Anya, but I wanted to share the picture. She came and sat down next to me in this airplane that was on display at the Business Jet Preview. I have noticed that little kids are drawn irresistibly to buttons, switches and lights in airplanes while non-pilot adults are terrified of them. I know that says something but I'm not sure what...

Attachments

• Anya.jpg
    Anya.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 78
A cutie pie of a bizjet pilot!

Your question makes me think about the Fisher Price and other makes of various baby toys with all the buttons, switches, etc. I'm guessing they are done to keep hands busy with things what won't get them into trouble. Various colors draw their attention and the sounds from the different features do the same. I'm sort of surprised there isn't more of a high tech version with an LCD these days. It's certainly plausible to make one and it could be programmable for different levels through toddler.

Come to think of it, maybe I should apply for a patent! :)

I... I have noticed that little kids are drawn irresistibly to buttons, switches and lights in airplanes while non-pilot adults are terrified of them. I know that says something but I'm not sure what...
It's the same with computers. Kids will dive in and try something to see what happens. The people who are afraid are the older ones. I can't imagine what there is to be afraid of.

Those of us who do computers for a living found out that trying, which was called hacking before the mainstream got the term wrong, is how you learn. You just have to make sure you have it enough under control that you can undo what you just did.

I've had a few cases lately where hacking didn't do the job, but it rarely lets me down.

Haha, I guess her certificate says, "Instrument Flight Only" as she can't see out!

Come to think of it, maybe I should apply for a patent! :)
All you need to make is a mockup of this cockpit. There are so many interesting and tempting things to touch. What are these? (circuit breakers, some were pulled) Can I push them in? (no, I don't think they want you doing that) What's this? (microphone) What's this? (headset) Can they hear me? (no, the power isn't on) Can we turn it on? (Um, no) Why? (LOL, get me out of here!)

I tried to distract her by taking the picture, then gently shooed her out by telling her there was a line behind us waiting to get up there too. A line full of other kids...

Let'sgoflying! said:
Haha, I guess her certificate says, "Instrument Flight Only" as she can't see out!
:rofl:

No lie!
For fun, I've had a few kids fly that way 'cause they couldn't see over the panel and they flew vectors extremely well the first time trying.

:yes:
I was in the same situation growing up. Way too short to see over the panel. So my dad and aunt and uncle said: "Here, just keep this thing level. Now roll it to here and turn until this thing points here."
I probably had 40+ hrs hands on under the glare shield and peeking out the side windows before I could see out of the Cherokee. Many many moons later when I was 16 the instrument part of PP flight training was a dirt simple BTDT no brainer.

Last edited:
I have no idea who she is other than she told me her name is Anya, but I wanted to share the picture. She came and sat down next to me in this airplane that was on display at the Business Jet Preview. I have noticed that little kids are drawn irresistibly to buttons, switches and lights in airplanes while non-pilot adults are terrified of them. I know that says something but I'm not sure what...
She is a cute looking pilot. Bet she could handle it like a pro.
Most adults have learned too many switches, dials, and knobs make things do boom, a sound most of us do not want to hear.
mikea said:
...SNIP....Those of us who do computers for a living found out that trying, which was called hacking before the mainstream got the term wrong, is how you learn. You just have to make sure you have it enough under control that you can undo what you just did.
and when you don't, you use magic; the Harry Potter kind of magic with just enough flashlights and mirrors to dazzle (and save your a$$). Been there, still bear the scares.

Many years ago, my then-girlfriend Cathy and I were babysitting her friends' kids in some sleepy burg out in the boondocks, and we decided to take the kids to the local 'drome to watch the airplanes.

Lo and behold, who should we come across but a friend of mine, a CFII whose student was busy puking on the tarmac after his first simulated instrument flight. So we talked for a while, and my friend agreed to take Cathy, me, and the kids up for a ride in the 170 while his student finished losing what was left of his lunch.

The youngest child, Tony, was four years old and sat on my lap in the right seat. After takeoff, my friend asked Tony if he wanted to fly the airplane. Tony, of course, said, "Sure," and proceeded to fly the airplane. Quite well, in fact. My friend would point out landmarks, and Tony would steer toward them. He also showed him how to use the yoke and told him to maintain altitude (something like, "Make sure this needle points to the number three"), and within a few minutes, Tony was applying elevator to correct his altitude without prompting.

Tony flew the plane right up until the landing flare with not very much correction from my buddy (except, of course, for the rudder pedals, which Tony couldn't reach) and did quite a good job. What impressed me most was how quickly he understood and applied what my friend the CFII was telling him.

Cathy and I split not too long after that, and I lost touch with the family. I always wondered if Tony decided to take up flying, because he seemed to be a "natural." But my friend the CFII told me that young kids in general pick it up right away. They have a matter-of-fact outlook, and all the lights, buttons, and gauges don't seem to intimidate them.

-Rich

Back