World VFR Charts

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
Do most people just use them for going on long XC trips? What information would I lose when using WAC vs Sectional?

WAC has considerably less information on the airport data. Notably it doesn't list the CTAF. It doesn't show the tiers of class B and C, just the overall dimensions. TRSAs aren't shown at all. It also omits the frequencies for the class C and TRSA facilities. Of course, the scale is twice as big.

I never bother with WACs.

Frankly, now that I've got foreflight, I never bother with paper charts period.

WAC has considerably less information on the airport data. Notably it doesn't list the CTAF. It doesn't show the tiers of class B and C, just the overall dimensions. TRSAs aren't shown at all. It also omits the frequencies for the class C and TRSA facilities. Of course, the scale is twice as big.

I never bother with WACs.

Well the idea was I am going on a long cross country and I like to still use some of my pilotage and dead-reckoning skills. I have foreflight as well but I would like that to be there just for situational awareness. I am wondering if it would be best just to have one WAC or several sectionals.

I've tried WACs and Sectionals, and those bound books of charts. One time I used an AAA highway map that I annotated with airport codes and CTAF frequencies (St. Louis to Brady, Texas).

Really, the only paper products that worked for me were sectionals. (Now I use electronic.)

However, for practice at pilotage, I print out an hour or two of the route using Sky Vector, and turn off the GPS, and refer only to the paper printout.

WACs don't even show all the smaller airports.
I used some a few times for general preflight scanning of large regions but was always wondering what was missing. When flying, it's always sectionals' information for me.

Last edited:

Since I went to tablets, backup is a set of WACs for the lower 48 in the plane, replaced every 2-3 years.

I use the WACs on Orux, and back it up with paper sectionals in flight.
I think the WACs are much easier for my old eyes to view on a 7" screen than the sectionals. And fewer to use for a given trip = more space on my sd card available for other stuff.

Back