World Gliding Championships - Standard, Club, World Class

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
World Championships started yesterday. The USA has two pilots flying in each class. Standard Class is a 15 meter wing, retractable gear, no flaps (I think). Club Class is a handicapped class and World Class is one design with all competitors flying the PW-5 glider.

So far after 2 days the USA's Francois Pin is doing good in World Class, 4th overall. The rest of our pilots have some catching up to do.

http://www.wgc2010.sk/

I think there is a way to track the competition online, will have to check that out tomorrow.

Ernst was telling me about that on Saturday when we were trying to get the gliders going. I forgot about it until your reminder - I'll check in on it.

It's been a tough competition so far. Francois Pin is in 4th place in World Class and Sean Frank is 19th in Club Class but the rest of our guys are down around the bottom of the scoresheet.

There was a midair on the second day, both pilots were able to land safely however. Yesterday a Russian pilot spun in while working a ridge and was killed. So they took today as a rest day.

There was a midair on the second day, both pilots were able to land safely however. Yesterday a Russian pilot spun in while working a ridge and was killed. So they took today as a rest day.

I heard a little more about that today - sounds like some of those guys are taking some big chances and not leaving themselves a whole lot of outs.

I get flashbacks to some of the races that Speed Racer was in.

good day for the USA today. Francois Pin won the task in World Class (4th or 5th overall I think) and Sean Franke got 2nd in Club Class, 10th overall.

Back