World Cup

It is just before the England v Brazil match. Ronaldinho goes into the Brazilian changing room to find all his team-mates looking a bit glum.

What's up he asks.

Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only England. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered.

Ronaldinho looks at them and says, Well, I reckon I can beat them by myself you lads go down the pub.

So Ronaldinho goes out to play England by himself and the rest of the Brazilian team go off for a few jars.

After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads Brazil 1 England 0 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes). He is beating England all by himself!

Anyway, a few pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers, It must be full time now, let's see how he got on. They put the teletext on.

Result from the Stadium ~Brazil 1 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes) England 1 (Lampard 89 minutes).

They can't believe it; he has single-handedly got a draw against England!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldinho. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sitting with his head in his hands.

He refuses to look at them. I've let you down, I've let you down.

Don't be daft, you got a draw against England, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very, very end!

No, no, I have, I've let you down. I got sent off after 12 minutes!

woodstock said:
is anyone here following this? any tips on the best and worst teams? thanks...

I am a football fan. Last world cup I was in Asia trying to get tickets. Ended up watching the end of group play with the US against Germany and Portugal vs. S. Korea. If US lost to Germant and Portugal at least tied S. Korea only the US would be knocked out. So there I was in the former Portugese colony of Macua wathcing both games being the only non-Portugese in the bar. It was a bot tense as the Us advanced and Portugal did not.

I got on the waiting list for ticket for this match two years ago and again did not make it, but I'll watch.

I'll be watching. :D

Teams to watch ? Always a tough call.

Brazil have to be the favorites. A very strong side this time around,with their gola scoring power-trio (Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano). As close to a sure thing for the Semis as you'll get, if they can keep their defense intact.

Germany have a real buzz about them this year, but I dont think they have enough to go all the way.

Italy have been very strong, as have Argentina. England is unlikely to get past the quarter finals, and would meet Brazil in the Semis, so unlikely to see them lift the cup.

France to me are the stalking horse - I think they have a very underrated team, and a relatively easy early group drawing. The Quarters will be the first test of whether they have resolved their midfield issues.

Rank outsiders ? Sweden. Way overdue...and a deceptively strong team in recent european championships...but you never know.

My money is on Brazil tho...I think they are simply a head above everyone else out there.

I think the Iranians have an explosive team, with a lot of potential to wreak havoc on the infidels...I mean their opponents. ;)

If they don't win, they might stop oil flow from the Persian Gulf......

I picked:

Germany
England
Argentina
Netherlands
Mexico
Italy
France
Brazil

then

Brazil
Italy
Germany
Argentina

then

Brazil
Germany

and the winner will be Brazil

8, 4, 2, 1 - Brazil usually wins right?

sadly my method was thus:

pick the places you visited first, and if you had not visited any of the choices (of 4 teams) pick the ones you want to visit next... The first 16 choices were the only ones that I had any gaps in that regard, by the time I got to the crazy-8s I had to delete some I had visited (keeping the ones I liked best, when visiting...) by the time I got to 4 I kinda knew who were the big teams of yesteryear so I picked that way. I knew Brazil was on top overall. Germany I just picked b/c of home team advantage.

Isn't Becks still with Madrid?

Last edited:
SJP said:
Sweden. Way overdue...and a deceptively strong team in recent european championships..
They were great in the Euro2004 tournement. I was really rooting for them, but alas

But what about England?? They are due too 1964 lead by Boby Moore was a great team but come on 42 years later and not even a close call. It would be nice to see it again. But no way for Mexico. C'mon Elizabeth out arch rival from CONCACAF?? NO WAY US OVER MEXICO. We beat them this year.

Last edited:
woodstock said:
Isn't Becks still with Madrid?
Real Madrid for his regular team in the Champions league but is still also playing for England. Wayne Roney os also on England and is an icredible player for 'The Mighty Reds' during Premier league season.

smigaldi said:
They were great in the Euro2004 tournement. I was really rooting for them, but alas

But what about England?? They are due too 1964 lead by Boby Moore was a great team but come on 42 years later and not even a close call. It would be nice to see it again. But no way for Mexico. C'mon Elizabeth out arch rival from CONCACAF?? NO WAY US OVER MEXICO. We beat them this year.

England has to get over it's fixation with one or two good players. If you have followed English football for any period, all you hear is Beckham this, or Rooney's foot that. We consistently build our team around one or two stars, and then when those guys dont deliver, the team ends up sucking. Gasgcoine for example...never produced the goods..and the team suffered.

The days of Hoddle, Waddle, Linneker and Shilton are past - and that was probably the closest we have come in a long time.

I just don't see us having the firepower to stop a Brazil or Germany if they come ready to play...we don't have the ability to generate plays from the midfield, and without that, you can have the best strikers in the world...and never score a goal.

As with most events of this type I can simply pick the team I'd least like to see win and put money on them. It works most of the time. So this year's World Cup champs will be.......

France.

As an American, I can say that World Cup does not interest me.

As a man, I can say that its a sport, so I'll at least watch some of it :D

I don't know what the heck is going on as far as soccer goes, but I will be in Germany playing gigs during the world cup, and if anyone happens to somehow wind up over there too, let's hook up and grab a bevvie, talk airplanes and make fun of crazy soccer fans.

SkyHog said:
As an American, I can say that World Cup does not interest me.

As a man, I can say that its a sport, so I'll at least watch some of it :D

I really cannot stand baseball and American style Football is 10 seconds of action to 3 mintues of commercials and talk, BORING as well. I find basketball a little bit more exciting and I can sometimes watch it if nothing else in on.

Soccer is really exciting in that it does not have time outs or tons of commercials. Probably why it will never be huge in the US. But once you understand the game it is very exciting. I also love professional cylcing, bike racing. Having just watched all of the Giro d'Italia I can tell you that it is a far more exiciting race than the ROur d'Frnace but I 'll watch that as well. I really love the one day spring classics in norhtern France and Belgium.

Last year I was in Nice for the PAris-Nice race and have seen the Vuelta as well. I hope to get to see a stage or two of both the Giro and Tour someday.

Scott - I never understood how soccer is exciting. The game is what, 45 minutes long? In that 45 minutes, sometimes you'll have a score of 1-0. The excitement pours on maybe 3 times during the game when someone gets a wide open shot and then missed the goal by about 10 feet.

That's something I don't get, also. These guys are professional athletes, yet in any other sport, if you missed as many passes, shots and steals, you'd be cut immediately. These guys can run, but come on, how do you miss a goal that is like 20 feet wide with ONE guy blocking it? That doesn't even happen in Hockey, on skates and ice with a tiny goal and a giant goaltender.

But I sure wish I could run like that :D

I entered a World Cup pool at work. I know nothing. Go Czech Republic!

SkyHog said:
Scott - I never understood how soccer is exciting. The game is what, 45 minutes long? In that 45 minutes, sometimes you'll have a score of 1-0. The excitement pours on maybe 3 times during the game when someone gets a wide open shot and then missed the goal by about 10 feet.

That's something I don't get, also. These guys are professional athletes, yet in any other sport, if you missed as many passes, shots and steals, you'd be cut immediately. These guys can run, but come on, how do you miss a goal that is like 20 feet wide with ONE guy blocking it? That doesn't even happen in Hockey, on skates and ice with a tiny goal and a giant goaltender.

Actually it is 90 minutes long, 2-45minute halves. But the xcitement comes not just in the scoring but in the ball handling and skills that are shown. For us Americans who were not brought up on it some of it is lost on us. But the good thing is for the World Cup we can root for any team we want and not be bound by national tradition.

woodstock said:
a good game has a very low score - it means both teams are superb.

Or they have really good goal keepers! :))

woodstock said:
a good game has a very low score - it means both teams are superb.

Yawn........

There are few sports which I prefer to watch women over men. Tennis being one - volleys seem to be more exciting, and soccer is the other. From the few matches I've watched with men it seems to go like this:

Frantic pace until one team scores.
The team that now has the lead just kicks the ball deep into the other end.
Repeat ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Now with women's soccer, I don't know what it is but, it seems that once a goal is score it's like drawing blood and the feeding frenzy begins and they want to show those women who's boss.

"Oh look at her with the same haircut as me! Nuh-uh girlfriend, that *$&# ain't got nothing on me. Runnin' around in those shorts and shin gaurds like she's all that, she better step back. Gimme that ball, I'll show her who's all that! I don't care if we're up by two, I'm showing her!"
"You go girl!"

And you get games that are 5-3. That's fun to watch.

Men's games:

"Ok we're up, we only need 1 to win, so lets just protect the lead ok?"
"Ok, sounds good."

I'll say this about soccer. One of the best video games I ever played was FIFA Soccer 2005 for the PS2. It even had the ability to have the commentary in Spanish, which is clearly the only way to watch/play soccer.

Nothing like hearing the trite "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" every time you score a goal (even if it is only like twice a game :D)

clearly no one has read my joke - I think it covers a lot of what you are talking about. :)

N2212R said:
There are few sports which I prefer to watch women over men. Tennis being one - volleys seem to be more exciting, and soccer is the other. From the few matches I've watched with men it seems to go like this:

Frantic pace until one team scores.
The team that now has the lead just kicks the ball deep into the other end.
Repeat ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Now with women's soccer, I don't know what it is but, it seems that once a goal is score it's like drawing blood and the feeding frenzy begins and they want to show those women who's boss.

"Oh look at her with the same haircut as me! Nuh-uh girlfriend, that *$&# ain't got nothing on me. Runnin' around in those shorts and shin gaurds like she's all that, she better step back. Gimme that ball, I'll show her who's all that! I don't care if we're up by two, I'm showing her!"
"You go girl!"

And you get games that are 5-3. That's fun to watch.

Men's games:

"Ok we're up, we only need 1 to win, so lets just protect the lead ok?"
"Ok, sounds good."

Typically doesnt happen that way in most games - you've been spoilt ;)

Given that more people watch Soccer every week in the UK than watch it all year in the US...it's not surprising some of the subtleties of the game are lost.

To me American Football was much the same when I first got here...Hut Hut Hut Scramble Scramble Whistle Stop Commercial - Repeat ad nasuem for FOUR HOURS. Soccer doesnt stop for commercials ;)

Now tho, I understand enough about the game to argue plays, call the ref on decisions, debate the benefits of a nickel vs 4-4 defence, but I still don't get as excited as I do watching a perfectly paced pass from Midfield find the striker on the edge of the box, and then watch the 'keeper close down the angle enough to get a finger on it and deflect it wide of the post.

SkyHog said:

Baseball - a good batter misses 60+ percent of the time ;)
Basketball - 70% from the free throw line - and NOONE in the way....and they get $20million...
Football - 4 tries to get a ball 10 yards...come on already !

:D

There are a couple reasons that soccer is the most popular sport in the world. My personal reasons that is.

1. Its a LONG game where most the time your just watching guys kick the ball back and forth at each other without even seeing a shot on goal. BUT THEN there's a shot on goal and you jump up with a HUGE rush of excitement which makes up for all the waiting.

2. If you actually watch some of the improvisation from these guys and their moves it will blow you away what they can do. Since though Americans dont really know anything about soccer or most have never played it its harder to appreciate it.

3. Soccer of course is cheap! All you need is a ball ;)

smigaldi said:
Soccer is really exciting in that it does not have time outs or tons of commercials. Probably why it will never be huge in the US. But once you understand the game it is very exciting.
That is the way I feel about baseball. If you understand the game, there is a lot of strategy there. But if you don't -- or if you're watching it on TV -- it is dull as dirt.

I used to play soccer up into high school, at which point we moved and the new school didn't have a soccer team. (I was a fairly good goalie in my day.) But watching soccer on TV just doesn't cut it. Football, on the other hand, is better on TV than in the stands.

Ken Ibold said:
I used to play soccer up into high school, at which point we moved and the new school didn't have a soccer team. (I was a fairly good goalie in my day.) But watching soccer on TV just doesn't cut it. Football, on the other hand, is better on TV than in the stands.

Well what about watching it live?

Here in Dallas we hosted a match the beginning of the year USA vs Guatemala. The temp was below freezing but it was a GREAT show!! Everyone had a blast. Its like rooting for your country and you can imaging the mix, about half hispanic half everything else. American flags and of course Mexican flags (go figure) everwhere. Nothing like it! :rofl:

P.s. I play on 2 soccer teams right now and in high school was quite the American football player as well. I can honestly say soccer players are the fastest and most agile of any other athletes of any other sport. Lets debate that ;)

Darrell111 said:
I can honestly say soccer players are the fastest and most agile of any other athletes of any other sport. Lets debate that ;)

Actually, I think the nature of most American sports is exactly why the USA has had so much trouble breaking into the World Soccer Scene.

Most American sports are very explosive - large outputs of energy over a relatively short period of time. Football is very obvious, but Hockey...skaters rarely spend more than a couple minutes at a time on the ice. Basketball sees the team constantly rotating. Baseball is a hit, brief sprint, and back to the dugout.

Soccer is much more sustained - while not everyone is in constant motion, there is a much less opportunity to rest or take a break for the duration of the game.

Now when the US wakes up to the Global money making opportunity that is Soccer...well, it's going to be interesting :) Finally, the World Championship will be played against people other than...well...the US ;)

woodstock said:
clearly no one has read my joke - I think it covers a lot of what you are talking about. :)

OMG, you're right, I missed the joke.

That's funny as hell.

woodstock said:

Got it. Pretty funny!

SJP said:
Actually, I think the nature of most American sports is exactly why the USA has had so much trouble breaking into the World Soccer Scene.

Most American sports are very explosive - large outputs of energy over a relatively short period of time. Football is very obvious, but Hockey...skaters rarely spend more than a couple minutes at a time on the ice. Basketball sees the team constantly rotating. Baseball is a hit, brief sprint, and back to the dugout.

Soccer is much more sustained - while not everyone is in constant motion, there is a much less opportunity to rest or take a break for the duration of the game.

Now when the US wakes up to the Global money making opportunity that is Soccer...well, it's going to be interesting :) Finally, the World Championship will be played against people other than...well...the US ;)

You sir are completely right.

Lets take for example football. A wide receiver in American football is very muscular and fast from a standstill to full out speed. They base their training on say running a 40 yrd or 100 yrd sprint (what we did when i played football).

Soccer though is all around. A striker has to have that burst of speed and has to be able to do it over and over and over all the while getting back and helping to defend sometimes.

I respect all sports, guys who play American football build their bodys to work best for that sport. The thing is since most Americans dont watch soccer or know much about it they dont realize the superior athleticism that it takes to play it. These guys are BLAZING fast and can cut on a dime all while trying to keep a ball in front of them :p

Oh and just so some of yall know ..

The USA soccer team is quite respected (ranked 5th in the world by FIFA). They have a chance to really earn some respect this World cup. If they could tie or even beat Brazil (highly unlikely) that would really say alot. I think they will walk all over Italy too.

Last edited:
Here is the guy who plays for Brazil thats going to pretty much eat up everyone's deffense.

Warning: The video is fine but has a rap song with cussing over it. Just turn the volume down if at work or you dont wana hear it. The video is good enough without it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SXj3vUsIg

Darrell111 said:
The thing is since most Americans dont watch soccer or know much about it they dont realize the superior athleticism that it takes to play it. These guys are BLAZING fast and can cut on a dime all while trying to keep a ball in front of them :p
I wouldn't say Superior....different focus maybe.

Oh and just so some of yall know ..

The USA soccer team is quite respected (ranked 5th in the world by FIFA).
LOL - well, thats FIFA. With all respect, good results this year do not make you better than Germany, Italy, Argentina, France or Sweden...The rankings are a constant source of amusement ;) The USA was seeded 9th for the tournament, which is probably more accurate - England was seeded 2...never gonna happen !! The US have a good team, but I just don't think they are going to overcome Italy and the Czechs.

They have a chance to really earn some respect this World cup. If they could tie or even beat Brazil (highly unlikely) that would really say alot. I think they will walk all over Italy too.
The USA have a tough starting group. Qualifying out of that group will need a win against Ghana, and then at least one more win against Italy or the Czechs. Winning the group would get them a relatively easy second round, second place would probably see them playing Brazil...and one has to think that would be the end of the tournament.

England have a relatively easy group - only Sweden is expected to give us much problems. We'd expect to come top in the group, and then see probably Poland in the last 16. We'll probably screw it up tho...

Predictions ?

Group A
I have to say Germany wins this group. Poland will probably take second...but depends if Costa Rica come ready to play.

Group B
England should win this, Sweden should hold #2.

Group C
Argentina have to be the favorite here. The Netherlands are vastly underated, and I think will take second comfortably.

Group D
Mexico have so much experience it's hard not to pick them for the win, Portugal have been consistent over the years.(sorry F.W., I think Iran will implode ;) )

Group E
Italy, Czech. I'd love to see the USA get to the last 16...but I think the Czechs are just too strong. Italy will not tolerate a repeat of 2002, and their recent 4-1 drubbing of Germany seems to suggest they are back to win. Italy have beaten the US in the last 4 or 5 meetings - Italy and teh Czechs are pretty much even in results - the Czechs beat the US 5-1 last time out. Will be a very interesting group to watch. Of course, noone wants to come second either...because then you get to play Brazil ;)

Group F
Brazil. How can you not pick Brazil to win this group ? Wide open for 2nd - Croatia would be my call, but Australia has caused suprises in the past.

Group G
France are still licking their wounds from 2002. Winners in 1998, I expect them to come out fighting. If Zidane and Vieria link up with Henry, it will be a tough team to beat - or they may all try to be Prima Donnas and they'll repeat 2002's first round exit. South Korea (those guys can REALLY kick a ball) should take second spot here.

Group H
Spain for the win in this easy group, with the Ukraine taking second. The Saudis are the 750-1 long shot...worth a buck on the off-chance ;)

So my last 16 looks like :

Germany vs. Sweden
Argentina vs. Portugal
Italy vs. Croatia
France vs. Ukraine
England vs. Poland
Mexico vs. Netherlands
Brazil vs. Czech Republic
Spain vs. South Korea

SJP said:
I wouldn't say Superior....different focus maybe.

LOL - well, thats FIFA. With all respect, good results this year do not make you better than Germany, Italy, Argentina, France or Sweden...The rankings are a constant source of amusement ;) The USA was seeded 9th for the tournament, which is probably more accurate - England was seeded 2...never gonna happen !! The US have a good team, but I just don't think they are going to overcome Italy and the Czechs.

Yea true true ;) I still think they have a good shot.

The USA have a tough starting group. Qualifying out of that group will need a win against Ghana, and then at least one more win against Italy or the Czechs. Winning the group would get them a relatively easy second round, second place would probably see them playing Brazil...and one has to think that would be the end of the tournament.

England have a relatively easy group - only Sweden is expected to give us much problems. We'd expect to come top in the group, and then see probably Poland in the last 16. We'll probably screw it up tho...

They are in the "Group of death" So yea its not going to be easy for USA, i dont expect them to get to far but i think they are a much better team then they were in 02. PLUS they have who many call the best goal keeper in the world so thats a nice addition too. He's been playin goal in germany prior to this.

N2212R said:
There are few sports which I prefer to watch women over men.

Yeah, you just like women's soccer ever since Brandi Chastain ripped her jersey off at the end of the WWC. :goofy:

Two World Wars and one World Cup, doo dah, doo dah....

Gotta love the English cheers!

I've always been partial to Germany (Beckenbauer was my favorite as a kid) and Netherlands (Ruud Gullit, and not many can pull off orange as a main color). Neither has a chance this time around, so here's to another English victory! My favorite team will be ABB (anyone but Brazil)!

Though my money's not on them, I'm pulling hard for good old USA.

I'm just bummed that my 10 days of PIC IR training will be during the final rounds. The championship game is the day of my checkride.

Someone sent me this :

Sorry, I had to put it into a .ZIP file because Power Point Slideshow isn't allowed :(

Attachments

• Football.zip
    263.6 KB · Views: 10
SJP said:
Someone sent me this :

Sorry, I had to put it into a .ZIP file because Power Point Slideshow isn't allowed :(

Dude That was awesome!!!

Baseball, by far, is my favorite sport. Especially for a pseudo stat geek like me, where you can see all of the strategy playing in. It also helps that I'm from Boston.

Cycling, especially at the classics level, is also amazing. I've just recently gotten into that... The GdI this year had some great stuff in it, but I personally dug the Tour of Flanders (1 day spring Classic)... what a race.

Rugby is the greatest sport any man can play. I was a defensive lineman in high school; and while I loved it rugby makes football look like tag.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back