Workgroup computer access

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Trying to get my two wireless laptops and wired desktop to share across the ActionTec DSL Gateway/Router.

I can run the Network Setup Wizard and get everything on the same workgroup and they will recognize each other for a while, but after a few minutes, when I try to access shared folders, etc., I get the message:
"\\computer\share is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permisisons.

The network path was not found."
It seems like when I first set things up a few months ago, things worked without any problems b/c I could access the printer attached to the desktop, etc. Within the past couple of weeks, when I try to access the shares, I can't get it to work. Any ideas on why this would work for a short time and then crap out? I'm running XP Media Center on one laptop, XP Home on the Desktop, and XP Pro on the other laptop.

Try using the IP instead of the host name:

\\192.168.1.2\share for example.

Using host names is hit or miss sometimes if things aren't exactly perfect. These problems go away on a domain controller with either a WINS server or just a well setup DNS server.

Try using the IP instead of the host name:

\\192.168.1.2\share for example.

Using host names is hit or miss sometimes if things aren't exactly perfect. These problems go away on a domain controller with either a WINS server or just a well setup DNS server.

Part of that is the way the servers "bid" on the election to decide which one can be the Windows domain/workgroup controller. There is a priority number that is supposed to insure that the latest and greatest Windows computer gets control, but the numbers were redone around when Windows 2000 came out. The result is that you could have a corporate network where the oldest decrepit Windows 95 PC wins the election and everything on the network checks in with it. :eek:

Part of that is the way the servers "bid" on the election to decide which one can be the Windows domain/workgroup controller. There is a priority number that is supposed to insure that the latest and greatest Windows computer gets control, but the numbers were redone around when Windows 2000 came out. The result is that you could have a corporate network where the oldest decrepit Windows 95 PC wins the election and everything on the network checks in with it. :eek:

If that's happening inside a corporate network I think they need to find themselves a new sys admin that doesn't make stories up to cover their incompetence. Because I promise you, A Windows 95 PC is not going to be taking over as a domain controller in a modern Active Directory domain.

Last edited:
im pretty sure the answer is to get a mac

Could be a lot of things.

Do all of the computers lose access to each other, or only one? If the same computer always disappears, it could be a dying NIC or even a bad cable. If they all lose access, it could be the router. I would try sustained pings between the computers while you have a connection and look for dropped packets and slow times.

For the wireless jobbies, there are another whole set of possibilities. Some other device (a cordless phone, for example) could be emitting at 2.4 GHz or any of its harmonics, temporarily disrupting the network. A neighbor's wireless network might be interfering with yours. One of the wireless NICs could be bad.

There are more devices using 2.4 GHz than most people realize, and many emit only intermittently, making troubleshooting wireless problems a real PITA. Kismet (Linux) or NetStumbler (Windows) can be good diagnostic tools for measuring signal quality. But even non-RF devices like microwave ovens can emit enough RF to cause problems for WLAN, devices, most of which only transmit at 100 mw (I believe the legal maximum is 200 mw).

Assuming it's not a wireless problem, you may want to consider static IP's, but this can be impractical for laptops which connect to multiple networks. Some routers, however, offer an option to always assign the same IP to a given computer, either by the computer's network name or by the NIC's MAC. This usually is a good option.

Rich

If that's happening inside a corporate network I think they need to find themselves a new sys admin that doesn't make stories up to cover their incompetence. Because I promise you, A Windows 95 PC is not going to be taking over as a domain controller in a modern Active Directory domain.

Right. I meant what happens when there is no designated WINS domain. In a workgroup without a domain controller the PCs elect a controller.

Back