Work full time and go to flight school?

immax01

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
immax01
I am considering going to flight school because it has always been my dream to fly, and to do it for a living is something i have considered. I am 22 and i am graduating college in may with a degree in business, i plan on working somewhere full time in the business field. Would it be possible to attend flight school while working full time? At what point would i have to quit my full time job in order to continue pursuing my piloting career.
I am still nervous about the job security and job outlook of the airline/pilot industry. Ultimately i would love to fly for a major airline but i am having many hesitations such as the cost of flight school and the high competition and few job openings, however, i don't want to give up on a dream. Can anyone put in their 2 cents? i have been researching as much as i can but i wanted to put my concerns out there.
Thanks alot.

You have the hardest part out of the way, a degree. Get yourself situated in secure employment for the time being. Build up some cash savings to a reasonable amount (at least a couple month's income) for a little security. Then, look at taking lessons and paying cash along the way. If you don't have to take out a loan, don't.

But, remain established in your current career until you complete all training, even if it takes a few years.

My two cents.

where are you located? its perfectly reasonable to do your training while working a full time non aviation job. Visit with the local FBOs at your nearby airports and see which one will work the best for you.

and welcome to PoA!

Would it be possible to attend flight school while working full time? At what point would i have to quit my full time job in order to continue pursuing my piloting career.

Sure you can! Most of us have "real jobs." You'll have a leg up if you can avoid taking out loans... Just fly your heart out evenings/weekends to build up your hours. If the airline industry is the same in a couple of years as it is now, you'll be able to get a job with 250 hours and the right ratings. (As cyclic as the industry is, that's not too likely.)

Basically, you can keep working at your day job until you have the ratings you need and you get your first flying job (which may or may not be for an airline). I have a more-than-full-time job and I flew 170 hours last year.

I'm sure that most of us here had full-time jobs when we went to flight school. Unless you are taking out a giant (and crazy) loan, you would need a full time job to learn how to fly. It sounds to me like you are doing it exactly right. Stick with the job, and stick with the flying. You will get there, and hopefully without oppressive debt!

Yes it is possible. Many of us have done it. Scheduel at least three or more lessons a week, because typically one will get cancelled for weather or other reasons. Doing this allowed me to knock out the Private in less than six months while working full time.

It depends on a lot of factors, but sure, it can be done.

A more important factor than time is money, especially if you're looking to keep going until you meet the requirements for interviewing for an airline job.
I'm not discouraging you, wouldn't dream of it- but it's a reality that creates a challenge.

For me, just pursuing my PPASEL while working as a freelance carpenter, was that when I had free time, it was because I was not working, which meant no money. And when I had money, it was because I was too busy for flight lessons. :D

Being a business degree holder, you should have a better plan than that...:D

Which reminds me: you didn't say...when you say "going to flight school" are you talking about an aviation college, a fast-track training outfit like American Flyers, or are you just looking to hook up with a small flight school to do your ratings the usual way?

They all have their merits, including a flying club, which can be a more affordable and flexible option, depending on the club.

Here is a plan. Might work for you, might not.
1) Get a good job with that business degree. Banking earns good money if you can stand the stress. Anyway, earn some money and pay off any debts you may currently have.
2) Learn to fly at a local FBO. Fly at least twice a week. Best way I know of to find a great instructor is to hang around the FBO awhile and ask questions of the other guys hanging around. You will find the guy who just loves to explain things in a way that you find useful. I remember sitting next to a guy who said he was watching the birds out the window and then as they flitted about, critiqued their takeoffs and landings in a way that made so much sense. (By the way, birds get a 10 every time.)
3) Study the books as though you were required to teach them.
4) As soon as you have earned a vacation and have paid off your debts, take a 2, 3, or 4 week vacation and fly full-time (once or twice a day) at a Flight School or at the local FBO and polish off your PPL and possibly Instrument.

Good luck. Keep the shiny side up.

It all depends on how aggressively you want to pursue the flight training. Training at one of the full-time academies like Flight Safety International which can get you all your basic entry-level pilot qualifications in about a year would not allow you enough time outside training to be employed full time unless you can get by on, say, four hours sleep a night. OTOH, if you don't mind stretching the training out over two or three years, then yes, you can successfully train part-time and work full-time.

Well you might want to check out N12 Lakewood Airport. There are two flying clubs there. One is Monmouth Area Flying club

http://www.flymafc.com/

and the Jersey Aero club

http://www.jerseyaeroclub.org/

Both have some nice planes and should be convienent to you

Matt Axelrod from this board teaches at Princeton but I think that may be far from you.

I once had a student who came to me for her instrument rating because her former CFI didn't want to fly at night. She had gone to work fulltime after college grad. and was paying for her flying herself. Her job required her to work during daylight hours. She was working for a large co. that had a flight dept. and she hoped to get on as a co. pilot one day.

Anyhow, I agreed to teach at night, and ultimately, she made it all the way to CFI with her instrument and multi ratings on it. We did almost all the flying at night. It took her several years, as the paychecks slowly covered lessons and other life expenses, but she got there. It was a little grueling at times for her, working hard all day, but she was young, single, and adamant that she'd be a commercial pilot. She also ended up with several hundred hours of night time in the deal. [It was a bit grueling for me sometimes, too, as I'd teach all day from before sunup sometimes and have her scheduled one night a week, late. I can recall times when we'd be tying the plane down at 10:30 p.m. and I'd be on the schedule for a 5 a.m. flight the next morning...man!]

The point is, it can be done if one has the energy. It is not for everyone, of course.

Last edited:
Yes it is possible. Many of us have done it. Scheduel at least three or more lessons a week, because typically one will get cancelled for weather or other reasons. Doing this allowed me to knock out the Private in less than six months while working full time.

Same here - and I was traveling 100,000+ miles in the back of the flying bus for work at the time.

Find a flight instructor that will work with you on scheduling and goals. Some of the younger ones are just there to build time while waiting for a call from the airlines. It'll go faster and better if you are able to use the same one throughout.

Back