Woohoo, first lesson in the Citabria

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I had my first intro acro lesson in the Citabria today, what a hoot. What a fun and fine little aircraft.

We had a pretty good pre-flight ground lesson, discussing the traits of handling a taildragger aircraft, and discussing the maneuvers to be flown. Further talk with the instructor I find he flew A-4's and F-4's in 'nam, with over 1500hrs in the F-4, and was his squadron's carrier landing instructor. After 7 years of this, he flew for Eastern for 10 years, flying 727's and L-1011's. After Eastern went bust, he wanted to go back to grass roots flying and instruct full time. Very nice, well versed, polished guy with lots of experience.

He started me in the back seat today, which I thought to be a bit weird, but other than over the nose view on the ground, I seemed to fly well from back there. After showing me how to strap into the 'chute and plane, we practice taxied up and down the grass strip a few times, letting me get used to "dancing" on the pedals to keep it straight. At first slow taxiing, then taxiing at maybe running pace. Did fairly well, I only felt him correct me on the rudders once.

One annoying problem with the plane: he had new headphone jacks soldered into the audio panel, and they were not functioning. I could not hear or talk thru my headsets, so all during the lesson I either interpreted what he wanted by hand signals, or had to lean forward and lift and ear cup.

The takeoff was a blur (having a direct crosswind and gusty conditions didn't help here), and I'm sure he helped me a good bit. Once off the ground, he was off the controls, and I over controlled for the first minute or two, kind of flying around in a drunken manner. Very sensitive airplane on the controls compared to the 172. On the way to the practice area, he told me to spend every possible minute just monkeying with the airplane. Try turns, climbs, stomp the rudder this way and that, wiggle the stick, just have fun getting to know the plane.

At the practice area, we started with the basics, slow flight, power on and off stalls. I have a new favorite plane to stall, the Citabria stalls like a ***** cat, very easy to keep the wings level with the rudder. Likewise, slow flight was a piece of cake.

Leaf stalls were an eye opener. Being called leaf stalls, I was expecting a nice gentle to and fro like a leaf falling. Yeah, right. A leaf stall is like getting a really drunk person to walk straight. You can corral them in the general direction, but they're still all over the place. An eye opener was how long it sometimes took for top rudder to work, and get the plane started rolling the other direction. Then, of course, if you weren't lightning fast getting the rudder back the other way, it would roll too far the other way. I was working the rudder like a madman, which I guess is the whole point of the exercise. I asked him about the motion, and he said I did well. He said think of the plane as being balanced on the top of a pencil, and it just wants to fall any which way. By using the rudder, your trying to keep it balanced on that pencil.

After the leafs, we went on to 60 degree banked turns, and I did really well at that one, although I'm much better in left ones than right. I tend not to pull back quite hard enough to completely maintain altitude on the right hand ones.

After that, we did two loops, on the first one, I eased up on the back pressure when we were inverted, and he had to help me over. In fact, the engine stopped over the top and then restarted on the way back down. I did the second loop fairly well. He says we'll practice the loop a lot more.

Coming out of the second loop, he demonstrated an aileron roll, and then we headed back towards the airport. Well, headed back in a zigzag line. I was having fun cutting fairly steep turns every now and then on the way back.

The crosswind was still pretty bad (about 15-16kts 90 degrees to the grass strip), so he had me fly the plane to the base-final turn, and then had me shadow him on the controls in for the landing.

All in all, a very good introduction to this type of plane and flying.

I like I like, can't wait for the next lesson.

Ken Ibold, I now understand.:D

I love aerobatics, but I feel bad paying all that money when I should be putting it towards the IR, multi, or commercial. Spoilsport. Sometimes, though, I have to go up and do some loops with my CFI, just for a change of pace!

wangmyers said:
I love aerobatics, but I feel bad paying all that money when I should be putting it towards the IR

Believe it or not, this is my "breather" between my private and starting IR. I have 28.1 PIC XC so far, and will probably start IR once this 8 lesson course is over.

I just really wanted to advance my plane handling skills and learn how to recover from bad things before I moved on to IR. Also, we'll be doing 3 revolution spins each direction later in the training, and spin training was high on my list.

My problem now, what if I really like aerobatics? Can't rent them anywhere :confused:

Bill Jennings said:
I had my first intro acro lesson in the Citabria today, what a hoot. What a fun and fine little aircraft.
Bill, it sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot already.

Since the engine quit, I take it this one didn't have the inverted fuel and oil. Did it have spades?

And yes, the Citabria is fun :)

Bill,

Great write-up. I knew you were going to love it. The stalls you called leaf stalls are a lot of fun.

I remember at the beginning, probably my first few hours, it always felt as though the rudder pedals took a long time to have any effect. We were slipping drunkenly, as you say, all over the sky. It's just a matter of getting used to the airplane and being able to anticipate its moves. When you get to that point, you'll have the rudder in sooner without even thinking about it, and you'll put in less than you're putting in now. Then you'll get back in the 172 and it'll feel like you can fly with your feet on the floor. :)

Is he putting you in the front next time? When's your next lesson?

That was some xwind, btw. I haven't landed in 90 degrees in the Decathlon yet. I did once in the 172, and it was a challenge even in that.

Diana said:
I take it this one didn't have the inverted fuel and oil. Did it have spades?

It is a 7GCAA, and does not have the inverted systems. The instructor does have access to an inverted Citabria and a Super Decathalon for more advanced training.

No spades.

Toby said:
Is he putting you in the front next time? When's your next lesson?

I don't know, I may do one more lesson from the backseat. He wanted me to fly without reference to any instruments, and from the back, you can't see much. Only one visible was the TC. He did lean to the right and let me peek at the airspeed indicator during the loops to get the right entry speed. Otherwise, I did all the flying without knowing my airspeed. (or much else)

Bill Jennings said:
Ken Ibold, I now understand.:D
So glad to see you on the path to enlightenment, Bill. Soon, you too will realize it's better to own a taildragger and rent a traveling machine than own a traveling machine and never get to fly a taildragger!

As for crosswinds...I once 3-pointed my airplane with the wind 80 degrees off the runway at 25G35. (I could not turn right off the runway, had to turn left 270 degrees.) That was at a point when I was on the top of my proficiency game. There are other times when I've aborted with wind half that.

Bill Jennings said:
Only one visible was the TC. He did lean to the right and let me peek at the airspeed indicator during the loops to get the right entry speed. Otherwise, I did all the flying without knowing my airspeed. (or much else)
This is probably a pretty good strategy. Taildragger flying is all seat-of-the-pants flying. Your butt will become your TC and your ears will be your airspeed indicator. The wind "sings" through the wires of a 7GCAA when you get about 5-8 knots above stall speed. When you start doing more acro, you'll need the instruments to ensure proper entry speeds etc, but for now just enjoy the new world.

Ken Ibold said:
Your butt will become your TC and your ears will be your airspeed indicator. The wind "sings" through the wires of a 7GCAA when you get about 5-8 knots above stall speed.
Wow! I did NOT know where that sound came from!!! I thought it was probably something loose somewhere. It's funny, cause I kind of use that sound as my "almost stall speed" stall warning. Gee, I'm so clueless sometimes.

Oh, I just told Tom and he said to ask you which wires?

Ken Ibold said:
Soon, you too will realize it's better to own a taildragger and rent a traveling machine than own a traveling machine and never get to fly a taildragger!

Roger that, but selling an acro plane to the wife MAY be interesing. I've got her sold on buying a plane about 2 years out, but she's expecting a travel airplane, as we have three in the family.

I told her I may be interested in getting an acro plane, and after I told her they only have 2 seats, I got the "look." :confused:

Bill Jennings said:
Roger that, but selling an acro plane to the wife MAY be interesing. I've got her sold on buying a plane about 2 years out, but she's expecting a travel airplane, as we have three in the family.

I told her I may be interested in getting an acro plane, and after I told her they only have 2 seats, I got the "look." :confused:
I know the look well, as I sold a 6-seat traveling machine that comfortably held all 5 of us for a "toy." Even after 4 years, it's still a sore spot. Fortunately I write out the bills. :(

Diana said:
Wow! I did NOT know where that sound came from!!! I thought it was probably something loose somewhere. It's funny, cause I kind of use that sound as my "almost stall speed" stall warning. Gee, I'm so clueless sometimes.

Oh, I just told Tom and he said to ask you which wires?
Seems to me to be coming from the tail. But it might be the struts. To be honest, I never really tried to figure that out. My taildragger transition instructor clued me in to them on the first flight.

Ken Ibold said:
Seems to me to be coming from the tail. But it might be the struts. To be honest, I never really tried to figure that out. My taildragger transition instructor clued me in to them on the first flight.
Hummmm, I know who we can ask. Let's ask Tom Beamer.

It seems to get louder on mine when I slip it on short final.

Bill, glad to hear that you had a great time. I only have a handful of hours in the Citabria and I hope to add more to that soon and finish my tailwheel transition and hopefully purchase a Citabria one day. They truly are a joy to fly and I can't get enough of them. Good luck with your acro lessons. Keep us all posted.

Hi Chuck and Brian,

While we're moving stuff to aerobatics, how 'bout moving this one as well?

Thanks,

I'm just learning to fly fixed-wing in a 7ECA - all 115 thundering ponies hurtling us into the skies! I'm up to about 15 hours and just figuring out how to get the airplane to the APPROACH end of the runway rather than just to the RUNWAY...

Anyway, I went out with a private pilot, just riding in the back, wow, what a difference in sensing the plane - much more feeling for the rudder pedals and I could judge the landing flare much better (no I didn't do landings on this flight).

Anyway, I am enjoying the challenge of having to meet the ground at 70 MPH instead of being able to stop BEFORE you land, which is of course how all civilized pilots do it!

JohnL said:
I'm just learning to fly fixed-wing in a 7ECA - all 115 thundering ponies hurtling us into the skies!

LOL! Are those Shetland ponies? Sometimes I wonder if it's that danged wing that makes it fly. :)

JohnL said:
Anyway, I am enjoying the challenge of having to meet the ground at 70 MPH instead of being able to stop BEFORE you land, which is of course how all civilized pilots do it!

Welcome to "the dark side" John. You may really like it after awhile. ;)

Back