.wma to .mp3

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Does anyone have a good conversion program recommendation?

I need to convert some music files that were ripped using Media player and saved as .wma to the .mp3 format so that I can import them into iTunes.

Last time I installed iTunes (last week), it told me that it could automatically convert non protected wmas into AACs (which work on iPod/iPhone).

If its protected....well....we wouldn't want the wrath of the almighty RIAA on us, would we?

Is there any software that can do this in a large batch? To just select the directory the music is in and then let it run is what I really needs.

As Nick said. iTunes will do it natively in batches.

As Nick said. iTunes will do it natively in batches.

I am not seeing that in Nick's post.

Last time I installed iTunes (last week), it told me that it could automatically convert non protected wmas into AACs (which work on iPod/iPhone).

If its protected....well....we wouldn't want the wrath of the almighty RIAA on us, would we?
Isn't the AAC format Apple's proprietary format?

Let me explain what I am trying to do.

My SO now is a Mac person. She uses a Creative mp3 player and manages her music with Windows Media player. Most all of her content is in .wma files.

What I want to do is change that to mp3 and then let iTunes manage it on her Mac. Synching the mp3 player is not necessarily something that I want to do at this time. I figure one thing is to maybe also convert her to iPods and then assimilation will be complete!

Isn't the AAC format Apple's proprietary format?

Let me explain what I am trying to do.

My SO now is a Mac person. She uses a Creative mp3 player and manages her music with Windows Media player. Most all of her content is in .wma files.

What I want to do is change that to mp3 and then let iTunes manage it on her Mac. Synching the mp3 player is not necessarily something that I want to do at this time. I figure one thing is to maybe also convert her to iPods and then assimilation will be complete!

I understand. iTunes (on a windows machine) can do exactly that.

Here's a link...

http://www.jakeludington.com/mac/20090314_convert_wma_to_mp3_on_a_mac.html

Last edited:

My apologies, Scott. It also converts to MP3, provided you're running iTunes on Windows.

I have a Creative MP3 player too....one thing you might want to consider for her (him? j/k) is XNJB. Great software for the Mac, and it will allow you to sync your music easily.

But, to the original question....if you can only convert to AAC, IIRC, my Creative Labs MP3 player plays those as well. I prefer FLAC and AAC over MP3, but there's not much support for FLAC on either iPods or Creative Lab MP3 players, unfortunately.

I seem to remember that you can convert these two files by just renaming them. xxx.wma rename to xxx.mp3.

It's been a while since I have done any of this so I could be wrong, but that's what I'm remembering.

I seem to remember that you can convert these two files by just renaming them. xxx.wma rename to xxx.mp3.

It's been a while since I have done any of this so I could be wrong, but that's what I'm remembering.
That wouldn't do much of anything other then change the extension. If you did change the extension a player might still play it (as it'll probably detect what the file actually is).

That wouldn't do much of anything other then change the extension. If you did change the extension a player might still play it (as it'll probably detect what the file actually is).

You're right, I shouldn't have said it converts it, because, obviously it doesn't. But your mp3 player won't play a .wma file, but if you simply rename it and change the extension to .mp3 it will play it.

I don't have anything hear to prove that my memory is correct but I think it works.

You're right, I shouldn't have said it converts it, because, obviously it doesn't. But your mp3 player won't play a .wma file, but if you simply rename it and change the extension to .mp3 it will play it.

I don't have anything hear to prove that my memory is correct but I think it works.

It doesn't work.

It will work in VLC and Windows Media Player.

But overall, it doesn't work.

Back