Wittman W10 Tailwind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightflyer172

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Seth Jackson
Hi guys. My name is Seth Jackson and I am a 17 year old. My dad and I own a Vans RV8. A while back, my dad bought a set of plans for a Wittman W10 Tailwind designed by Steve Wittman. When he decided that he didnt have time anymore to build it, I decided to take the plans out and the wood for the ribs and to start building my own. I got the rib jig done and I am almost done with the main ribs. When I told all my friends and my mom that I was going to build my own airplane at 17, they said that they couldnt do it. So I am going to prove them wrong. I will keep you updated on the project. Later, I will post some pictures.

Seth Jackson

sounds like a fun project. looking forward to pictures

Thanks Tony. I am looking forward to it. It is a great airplane. I will post a picture of one.

TailwindSideView.jpg
http://www.mississippiwingcaf.org/TailwindSideView.jpg

There is a Tailwind based at KMUT where my dad keeps the RV-7A that we built a few years ago. That thing (Tailwind) really scoots!! Looks like it would be a fun build, but there is no way I would ever fit in one.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do anything unless it is actively illegal.

I've heard nothing but good about the design. Fast for the money!

Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words. I just got home from school. I might go out into the hangar later tonight and work on it. It depends on homework. I will keep you posted

A friend of mine had a Cougar (same airplane) it was fast and had to be flown fast, small, thin wing with not much lift. It is not an airplane for a beginner or low time pilot.

Hi guys. My name is Seth Jackson and I am a 17 year old. My dad and I own a Vans RV8. A while back, my dad bought a set of plans for a Wittman W10 Tailwind designed by Steve Wittman. When he decided that he didnt have time anymore to build it, I decided to take the plans out and the wood for the ribs and to start building my own. I got the rib jig done and I am almost done with the main ribs. When I told all my friends and my mom that I was going to build my own airplane at 17, they said that they couldnt do it. So I am going to prove them wrong. I will keep you updated on the project. Later, I will post some pictures.

Seth Jackson

Your determination will take you far. The Wittman W10 is a great airplane. Build it to fit within the LSA paramters and you'll have a great plane to fly and sell when the time comes.

I strongly suggest you join an EAA chapter and get guildance and help from the old timers. Heck, EVERYONE is older than a 17 year old! I got shoes older than you! :rofl:

Good luck! Don't give up the goal. Focus and build on!

And so it begins.

My brother was about your age when we started a T-18. He finished it and now is flying his second homebuilt ("Pitts").

It does take a while...

Heck, EVERYONE is older than a 17 year old! I got shoes older than you! :rofl:

Reminds me of a pal who said, "I have shoes with more hours in non-standard holds then 'Joe' has in total time!"

Hard to argue IFR with someone like that.

Congratulations, Seth!
the tailwind is an absolutely excellent choice for a project. I am assuming that you have already signed up to the Tailwind mailing list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TailwindForum/ . The folks on that list are very knowledgable and always willing to help.

Don't let anyone discourage you because of your age. I first got exposed to homebuilt airplanes at 15 and dreamed about doing what you are doing now. I didn't think it was possible, so I put the dream on the back burner. I finally got started building at 33 and have come to realize that there really aren't any physical skills that would be too difficult for a teenager. There was no reason why I could not have started building back then, other than my own limiting beliefs. Heck, I know of a girl who started building her airplane at 12 or 13 years old and finished at 15 or 16 years old, IIRC.

GO FOR IT!!!

Seth Jackson

You can do it !!!!!! .. Good to see a young person addicted to some healthy, legal and fun activities.... Who knows, you might end up with a three page article in Kitplanes magazine like I did yesterday ... <GG>:D

Hey Seth! Congrats on the Journey ahead! I don't know much about the aircraft your building but know their is one on our field in bright yellow. Fast little bugger!

Go gett'em

You can do it !!!!!! .. Good to see a young person addicted to some healthy, legal and fun activities.... Who knows, you might end up with a three page article in Kitplanes magazine like I did yesterday ... <GG>:D

Whoa! You can't just drop a bomb like that without a link!

Congrats! That is really cool!

Seth! Check it out! You should send Kitplanes an e-mail let them know you are working on a home built!

BTW Seth, what size shoes you wear? I could really use an upgrade. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Ok, here's the deal.

A nice guy shows up at my plane when it was displayed at OSH this year. Asked alot of questions about it, took some pics. Mentioned that it might show up in a magazine. Some months go by and I get an email from several people that it indeed made Kitplanes. I say KOOL, Of course living in Wyoming has a few drawbacks, like mail service being late. Apparently the article is available via electronic web viewing at...

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/26_12/exploring/9026-1.phtml

What I didn't know till after I posted this link to a bunch of fellow pilots is that it is pay per view. Funny,,, My plane, pics of it and me and a pretty complete story on its life and I get "not a penny" . Must be some creative form of stimulas.:mad2: :redface::frown2:

Last edited:
Hi. A guy at hicks finished our RV8 for us. His name is Jay Pratt. I'm sure you know him. I actually live on a airport in the Keller/Westlake Area and it is called StageCoach Hills Airpark and the identifier is 4TX2. You can look it up. I would not mind if you came by and looked at it!

You're in Fort Worth? Where are you building? Hicks? I'd like to see your project...

Thanks! Everyone thanks for all the encouragment! I am glad to have some friends. I just get picked on at school. I am planning to work on it this weekend.

Hey Seth! Congrats on the Journey ahead! I don't know much about the aircraft your building but know their is one on our field in bright yellow. Fast little bugger!

Go gett'em

Thanks! I have been around aviation my whole life. Kids these days just bother me because most of them do drugs. And, Will kitplanes take an article eventhough I am not finished with the airplane yet?

Thanks. Yes. I am already a memeber. I just got into this project because I have been building RC airplanes for a few years.

Congratulations, Seth!

the tailwind is an absolutely excellent choice for a project. I am assuming that you have already signed up to the Tailwind mailing list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TailwindForum/ . The folks on that list are very knowledgable and always willing to help.

Don't let anyone discourage you because of your age. I first got exposed to homebuilt airplanes at 15 and dreamed about doing what you are doing now. I didn't think it was possible, so I put the dream on the back burner. I finally got started building at 33 and have come to realize that there really aren't any physical skills that would be too difficult for a teenager. There was no reason why I could not have started building back then, other than my own limiting beliefs. Heck, I know of a girl who started building her airplane at 12 or 13 years old and finished at 15 or 16 years old, IIRC.

GO FOR IT!!!

Great spirit Seth.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, making a carrer change (to flying for a living) at 41 years of age.

People told me it couldn't be done as well. All just motivates me further!!

I never liked the "cant'ers" in life. Aside from childbirth I don't think there is anything I can not do.

You have that spirit, and sounds like you have the drive and determination as well.

Look forward to seeing your project progress and wish you all the best in this and future endeavors. You speak very highly for the youth of America.

You give us all hope!

Great Job!!

Thanks. I appreciate it Commander Dave. I just got home from school and I got a call from my neighbor just now and he just bought a tailwind. He asked me if I wanted to go fly in it! Heck ya I am!

Hi. A guy at hicks finished our RV8 for us. His name is Jay Pratt. I'm sure you know him. I actually live on a airport in the Keller/Westlake Area and it is called StageCoach Hills Airpark and the identifier is 4TX2. You can look it up. I would not mind if you came by and looked at it!

Yup, I know well where that is, drive past it on 377 almost every day. I'm south of you, off 377 and Basswood. I'll PM you my contact info!

Thanks! Everyone thanks for all the encouragment! I am glad to have some friends. I just get picked on at school. I am planning to work on it this weekend.

Well, before long, you're gonna have an airplane, and they'll have... nothing. And they'll all be jealous of whatever you accomplish at your class reunions, because they'll have done... nothing. Keep up the good work. :yes:

I never liked the "cant'ers" in life. Aside from childbirth I don't think there is anything I can not do.

That brings up one of my all-time favorite quotes:

"There are two kinds of people: Those who think they can, and those who think they can't. They're both right." -- Henry Ford.

Good for you!
The Tailwind is a great plane. (And, if it fit my mission, I'd be looking to build one too.) Looking forward to reading your updates.
Oh, and, welcome to PoA! :smile:

Great plane.

Don't quit. You will feel GREAT about yourself when you get that baby in the air. Absolutely keep us posted. You will get plenty of positive reinforcement from the wannabe-builders at POA.

I've flown with a guy who knew Steve Wittman well. Said he was a great guy, very nice.

Good luck, and remember. We're all counting on you.:D

Thank you all! I talked to Tangowhisky on the phone yesterday.. We are going to make some plans so he can come look at my project..... Thanks for the kind words.... I just hate making ribs. I am having alot of trouble..... So I really dont have that much progress going on right now.

Good for you, and good luck with it! Forget what any of your so-called "peers" think... they're not the boss of you- you are!
Take your time, do it right, and definitely seek out others who have built a Tailwind... if it's like most plans-built airplanes, you will be glad you did. Just knowing that they understand and are rooting for you will get you through those ribs, no problem. :D
Enjoy the flight, BTW... I've always wanted to fly a Tailwind; I hear they are pretty special.

Thanks. These are all the friends that I need! Update: I fixed my rib jig last night so maybe when I get home from school today, I can go outside and start working.. That all depends on homework though..... I was also talking to my dad to. I am about to take my written test soon then after that I will start taking flying lessons. He told me that if I wanted to fly that tailwind, then I would need to be trained in a tail dragger. So maybe we are thinking about a Cub or Champ.. Then once my airplane is done, I can get lessons in it!

Good for you, and good luck with it! Forget what any of your so-called "peers" think... they're not the boss of you- you are!
Take your time, do it right, and definitely seek out others who have built a Tailwind... if it's like most plans-built airplanes, you will be glad you did. Just knowing that they understand and are rooting for you will get you through those ribs, no problem. :D
Enjoy the flight, BTW... I've always wanted to fly a Tailwind; I hear they are pretty special.

He told me that if I wanted to fly that tailwind, then I would need to be trained in a tail dragger. So maybe we are thinking about a Cub or Champ.

Seth,

Check out the Citabria at MarcAir Aviation at 52F (NW Regional); close to you, and they have a Decathlon you can fly later.

http://www.marcairaviation.com/open.aspx?htm=tlw

They just had a 17-year-old girl pass her PP exam on her birthday. See the article and pictures on page 2 of their newsletter.

Thanks. I am familiar with them. That is where I am going to go to take my written. Since we live on a airport, my neighbor is a flight instructor. He said that he would teach me in a champ

Hey guys. Sorry that I havn't been on latley. So busy with school and my uncle passed away so it has been rough. I have gotten some progress done. only 2 ribs though. I will keep you updated

Thanks. I just got back from his funeral yesterday and my family did a missing man formation fly over at his funeral. Really nice... So now I am back into the building process.

Thanks! Thats all the ribs that I need. I just need to order some wood for the spars then I will start the Wing! WooHoo. I cant believe I am building a airplane haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back