Wish me luck...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I'm in Tulare, CA right now waiting to be loaded.

I'm hoping to make it to Richfield, UT tonight; Elm Creek, NE tomorrow night; and then Wood Dale, IL (right next to O'Hare) on Sunday night to drop the trailer before I run home. Crossing my fingers for clear roads!

There won't be much online time between now and then, so...

Merry Christmas!

And if you're on CA-99, CA-52, I-15, I-70, I-76, I-80, I-355, I-294, I-290, or I-90 in the next few days and you see a truck that looks like this...

thatsatruck.jpg

...and says "4703" in several places, wave hi to me! :goofy:

Good luck, Kent! Honk as you go through DesMoines on I-80. :D Just remember that the important thing is that you get home in ONE piece, even if it is later than you would like. ;)

Happy ho-ho day!

-Chris

I'll be in North Platte, NE tomorrow night, which is only 85 miles west of Elm Creek. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express right next to I-80. Wave as you go by. :)

Safe travels, Kent...and Merry Christmas to you.

ill be driving to wisconsin dells on sunday with the family via I90. will look out for you!

The way things have been in Colorado, I definitely hope 70, 76 and 80 get cleared up and stay dry for ya.

In six hours, I'm jumping in a Skyhawk to head to Picayune, MS (KMJD) followed by a flight later Saturday night to KCGI. The weather should be decent down there and I hope stays so. The dang GPS approaches are currently published as NA.

With luck, my little Skyhawk will again be parked next to a Gulfstream IV at KCGI. The tail number is N1EB. :D

I'm sacrificing chickens for you to appease the weather gods so that you may have clear driving all the way home for Christmas! Be safe and talk to you soon!

It's crazy!.... But it just might work!

(Now, name the dozen or so "B" movies, with that line... or a variant of it.):rofl:

to start....
Dr. Emmet Brown, to Marty McFly in "Back to the future"

It's crazy!.... But it just might work!

(Now, name the dozen or so "B" movies, with that line... or a variant of it.):rofl:

to start....
Dr. Emmet Brown, to Marty McFly in "Back to the future"

"It sure is quiet."
"Yeah. TOO QUIET!"

I think that's in "Destination Tokyo" along with the lines,

"There's the Mitsubishi factory."
"Yeah! Where they make them Zeroes!"

Good luck and hope you get home safe. Not looking like too good of WX for your trip home.

Wx actually turned out pretty good. It sure beat the trip out, when it took me 4 hours to go 30 miles from the CA-NV line through Donner Pass. One wreck involving a CHP officer stopped traffic for two hours, and then the chain requirement went into effect... :eek:

ill be driving to wisconsin dells on sunday with the family via I90. will look out for you!

Wrong part of I-90... I was on 90 heading from Chicago to Madison.

I'm sacrificing chickens for you to appease the weather gods so that you may have clear driving all the way home for Christmas! Be safe and talk to you soon!

Wow... It worked! :D

So, I didn't make it home until about 5 PM on Christmas. I had 2408 miles to go from where I dropped off on Friday to get to Chicago, drop the trailer, and go home. The original plan split that into three 800-mile days, but... Well, I was kinda tired Friday night and there's really not much of anywhere to stop between Cedar Creek, UT and Richfield, UT and there's 110 miles between the two. As tired as I was at Cedar Creek I'd have been hating life if I tried to push on to Richfield. Total distance Friday: 715 miles. So, that left me with two 850-mile days to make it home. :eek:

Next day, kinda the same story. 850 miles can be done on flat, dry roads if you have the patience (I'm governed at 65mph). However, I was doing lots of up and down, round and round. I climbed over 10,000 feet twice: Vail Pass (10,668 feet) and the Eisenhower Tunnels (11,158 feet). That takes a lot out of ya. I fueled up in Denver, pushed it to Big Spring, NE just across the line from CO. 760 miles.

Sunday, I finally got the long boring day I wanted but I'd started out with over 900 miles to go. Ugh. I went from Big Spring to Peru, IL. 720 miles for the day, leaving me with 213 plus a drop and hook for Christmas. That's OK though... We're kind of waiting for my brother to get home from Sweden on Saturday before we really do Christmas, and I also made my bonus miles for the year which is worth over $1900. Hmmm, maybe it's time for a 496. :D

BTW, Chicago traffic sucks even on Christmas!!! :eek: There was a big backup on the inbound Stevenson. Luckily, my exit was right before the backup. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

BTW, Chicago traffic sucks even on Christmas!!! :eek: There was a big backup on the inbound Stevenson. Luckily, my exit was right before the backup. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I was so glad when I drove up to Manitowoc this weekend that I had nothing to do with Chicago traffic. I catch I-43 near Geneva and go up to Milwaukee that way. Once there I only share the road with the Chicago drivers for a little bit and it was easy to see there were tons of them. Even on Christmas day there were tons of them. But I was still able to keep my speed at 55.

Back