Wisconsin weather

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Well, looked pretty bad up that-a-way today (just north of Madison). The weather channel was talking about possible tennis ball sized hail. Still showing scattered stuff tomorrow and Wednesday up there.

Planning on leaving Wednesday morning to go get my nieces. Anyone got an in with the weather gods so I can get some clear skies? :rolleyes:

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, looked pretty bad up that-a-way today (just north of Madison). The weather channel was talking about possible tennis ball sized hail. Still showing scattered stuff tomorrow and Wednesday up there.

Planning on leaving Wednesday morning to go get my nieces. Anyone got an in with the weather gods so I can get some clear skies? :rolleyes:

TWC is talking about TRW on Wed here. That could put them in Wisconsin by later on Wed. If things don't work out you can always divert to FCM.

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

I'll have a chat with Zeus in the morning; he's in the cube next to me. If he can't do anything for you, I'll check with Dueus, Daramulum, Chhac, Mamaragan, Olurn, Varuna, Ungud, Susanoo, Fisaga, Laufakanaa, or Wuluwaid. I'm your main-dude-weather-guy. Have a safe flight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Sky_and_weather_gods

Dave Siciliano said:

That was over in a flash, just like most of our weather.

Here's how you handle summer weather in Wisconsin: If you don't like what's in front of you, ask for one turn in a hold. When you're done, it will be CAVU. :yes: ;)

I had great timing today - I stopped for a nap about 12sm south of FLD, and it was CAVU. A few minutes later as I was just laying down, the truck shook around like somebody was getting into it and I heard noise. I jumped up, looked through the curtain and it was dumping rain and small hail and there were leaves and branches flying everywhere. I went to sleep for a bit, and when I woke up it was CAVU again. Now, I stopped for the night in Ohio, and... Same thing. TSRA about 5 minutes after I stopped.

So, Dave, I must have something going for me with the weather gods. I'll see what I can do for ya. ;)

Thanks guys. I'll check again later tonight and in the morning. Of course, I'm concerned about the enroute and terminal stuff, but also what might roll in while I'm there and whether I need a hanger.

Best,

Dave

Well, the trip up to get my nieces went great Wednesday (return yesterday). There was a large system of thunderstorms moving from northwest to southeast and I wasn't sure I could get up there in front of them. So, I launched, fulling intending to watch them in the air and stop enroute if I couldn't beat them to Portage.

As I got to Truman MOA going north, it was hot and I would have had to go to FL240 to go over it; instead, I chose to circumnavigate to the side. Center initially gave me a heading to the west--which pointed me more into the storm system farther north; so, I requested east and was promptly turned over to Rockford. The did bring me east, which turned out great. As I got farther north, I had to go to the east of Rockford, then north to Portage.

The 396 and on-board radar worked great. Huge system with tops up to FL600 advancing and I was able to say 30 to 40 miles east of the big stuff; just flew through some stuff in front and got a little rain, some bumps and around I went! The is something I never would have even attempted a couple years ago without the NEXRAD weather on board!

Pulled the plane into a hanger just as some light rain began. There were some real fireworks later that evening and early morning. Then, it all blew out and we left right behind it yesterday.

Great trip back at FL180 where it was pretty hot: about 0 C,

Satruday, the trip to Hawaii begins!

Best,

Dave

Great report, great flight, Dave. You're not flying YOUR plane to Hawaii are you? ;-) Now THAT would be an interesting flight report....

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, the trip up to get my nieces went great Wednesday (return yesterday). There was a large system of thunderstorms moving from northwest to southeast and I wasn't sure I could get up there in front of them. So, I launched, fulling intending to watch them in the air and stop enroute if I couldn't beat them to Portage.

As I got to Truman MOA going north, it was hot and I would have had to go to FL240 to go over it; instead, I chose to circumnavigate to the side. Center initially gave me a heading to the west--which pointed me more into the storm system farther north; so, I requested east and was promptly turned over to Rockford. The did bring me east, which turned out great. As I got farther north, I had to go to the east of Rockford, then north to Portage.

The 396 and on-board radar worked great. Huge system with tops up to FL600 advancing and I was able to say 30 to 40 miles east of the big stuff; just flew through some stuff in front and got a little rain, some bumps and around I went! The is something I never would have even attempted a couple years ago without the NEXRAD weather on board!

Pulled the plane into a hanger just as some light rain began. There were some real fireworks later that evening and early morning. Then, it all blew out and we left right behind it yesterday.

Great trip back at FL180 where it was pretty hot: about 0 C,

Satruday, the trip to Hawaii begins!

Best,

Dave

Dave, we might have crossed paths yesterday. I flew to Chicago in the late morning and returned in the late afternoon. I had to slow down the last 30-40 miles so the storm that was blasting my destination (Schaumburg IL) would move off to the east. When we landed you could still see the curtain of rain and lightning about 4 miles past the airport.

Sorry I missed you Lance. Didn't hear 23Q on frequency when I was headin south!!
Jack Threadgill landed at Portage just as I left (about 12:50). He has a real nice B-55.
I'll start a new thread on the trip to Hawaii and try to put something on there now and again.

Aloe all!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave
Sometimes you have to go south to get north.

Back