Wireless network collapse

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
A weird problem has cropped up. Scenario: 5 computers at home (YIKES!) linked into a wireless network through a Linksys router, all using XP Home edition. The system worked pretty well until a couple days ago, when suddenly DAD stopped finding 3 of the others through My Network Places, but does still find one.

The other computers find DAD, and can print on the shared printer attached to DAD and the shared computer attached to MOM. DAD does not find the printer attached to MOM. The printer attached to ST is no longer found by any other computer through the network.

Furthermore, when DAD goes to My Network Places -> View Workgroup Computers, an error message appears saying DAD cannot access the network and to contact the system administrator. DAD can, however, access the internet through the router.

I don't know of any software downloads that occurred at the time the problem developed. All computers are "protected" by McAfee and scans come up clean. All have individual Windows firewalls off and the network itself uses a WEP.

And then yesteday, MOM, on location elsewhere, was finding wireless networks at a Ritz Carlton, but defaulted to "work offline" when IE7 was launched. After troubleshooting that a bit, it connected once, but then stopped finding any wireless networks, when earlier there had been 5 or 6. That may just be a wireless card failure, but I thought I'd throw it in as it's another recent brick in the wall.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

I have similar things happen I can't figure out. With so much else going on, I don't get the time to figure it out or call tech support. Then suddenly it's working again... with no explanation why I lost it to begin with.

On another note, I have a networked Okidata printer that was working great from every computer. Now, every computer sees it on the network but only one can print to it. It's actually networked, not a shared computer.

I give up on Windows. Once one problem is fixed, another pops up. In fact, I have a heart-felt hatred for Windows.

Is it normal to hate an inanimate object? Is Windows software considered an inanimate object? I won't even ask if I'm sane.

I can give you maybe a little insight. The way Windows networks find each other is by electing a controller that gets asked for the data on other nodes. It's supposed to work so that the newest system gets to be in charge but early on they messed up with the priority numbers so a Windows 95 PC outranked a Windows 2003 server.

Sooooo....try disconnecting PCs to see if you can figure out if one is causing all of the chaos.

I give up on Windows. Once one problem is fixed, another pops up. In fact, I have a heart-felt hatred for Windows.

Is it normal to hate an inanimate object? Is Windows software considered an inanimate object? I won't even ask if I'm sane.
But, Ken, what you really need to hate is Bill Gates. An old friend of mine, who is a fellow software engineer and who I used to work with many years ago (and who must be a good guy, because he's ready for his Stage I check... in helicopters), refers to Bill Gates as the antichrist, for his many sins including a lousy OS.

First reset the router. Most of the time this will cure the problem. If that does not work my brother is tech support for networking. PM me and I will hook you up with him.

Dan

I don't know of any software downloads that occurred at the time the problem developed. All computers are "protected" by McAfee and scans come up clean. All have individual Windows firewalls off and the network itself uses a WEP.

According to my brother McAfee only gets about 75%.

Dan

I can give you maybe a little insight. The way Windows networks find each other is by electing a controller that gets asked for the data on other nodes. It's supposed to work so that the newest system gets to be in charge but early on they messed up with the priority numbers so a Windows 95 PC outranked a Windows 2003 server.

Sooooo....try disconnecting PCs to see if you can figure out if one is causing all of the chaos.
I think Mike identified the problem. Turns out MOM was disconnected (on a trip) and that's the newest computer. The issue was compounded by an apparent failure of the internal wireless card. When I hook MOM to the router by ethernet rather than wireless, all is right with the world.

So, if I understand this... in order to always have proper control, a desktop has to be the most recent installed on the network.

If you do add another machine, would reinstalling the desktop solve the problem?

I think Mike identified the problem. Turns out MOM was disconnected (on a trip) and that's the newest computer. The issue was compounded by an apparent failure of the internal wireless card. When I hook MOM to the router by ethernet rather than wireless, all is right with the world.

So, if I understand this... in order to always have proper control, a desktop has to be the most recent installed on the network.

If you do add another machine, would reinstalling the desktop solve the problem?

They're supposed to have a new election when the domain controller disappears. As with many things Windows "supposed to" is not 'xactly what happens.

...well, Mike, to be fair, the election was held, but (as you know) Ken lives in Florida, and the chads were hanging, and... well...

...well, Mike, to be fair, the election was held, but (as you know) Ken lives in Florida, and the chads were hanging, and... well...
ROFL.gif

Back