Wireless mouse problem

rcaligan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rcaligan
I got a new wireless mouse for Christmas: a MS Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000. When the receiver is plugged in to the USB port, my laptop's screen saver won't come on. I could let the computer idle for hours, none of that stuff works (screen saver, standby mode, etc).

When I plug in a standard "wired" mouse, it behaves as it should. I'm running Windows XP Media Center. Any thoughts?

Not sure if it's a final fix but you can turn off the ability for the USB mouse to "wake up" the computer. I suspect the mouse is telling the receiver "hey, I'm still here" and the receiver is telling the computer that it just moved.

Go to Control Panel...System (or right-click My Computer and select Properties) and select the Hardware Tab. Click the Device Manager button.

Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices" then right-click the wireless mouse and select Properties.

Select the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby."

It may not work if it's the USB receiver that's triggering the issue and not the mouse. Give it a shot.

(FYI, you won't be able to wake the computer by shaking the mouse after that. Just hit a key on the keyboard instead.)

Back