Wireless Internet at FBOs

What percentage of FBOs offer wireless internet access to visitors?

• Total voters

eric1328

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eric G
The poll question should be "Of the FBO's that you have visited, what percentage had wireless internet?” Your best estimate...

Also…share your thoughts on if wireless internet access is needed for pilots and passengers. For example, do they need this access to check e-mail, weather info, business tasks, etc during stops at FBOs?

Eric Geier
Wireless & Aviation Enthusiast

Last edited:
As I have not been to the complete population of FBOs to determine what percentage offer wireless internet I am not qualified to submit a response.

I will say I usually have my wi-fi enabled laptop with me on long x-c's and FBO's that have accessible wi-fi connectivity are helpful in flight planning/filing as I can use my standalone flight planning software to pull down wx/notams, although most of those FBOs also have a workstation available for planning/filing. I usually don't check e-mail at the FBO.

Pretty hard to answer that.

I would say out of the FBO's that I have been to it would be around 50%. But most of the airports I have flown to have been cattered towards business jets.

Perhaps you should change the poll to:
"Of the FBO's that you have visited, what percentage had wireless internet?" And even that would be hard to answer.

Another good one.. Since we are all spread around the country:
"Does your local FBO have wireless internet?" (this would be the best method I'm sure)

RotaryWingBob said:
I have no idea. We do have access here at N99, though...

Ditto on the no idea but I would like to see it more. It would make flight planning easier if I could acces my online flight planning tools instead of having to recalulate everything once I make change due to WX.

I have no idea how many have it overall, but my airport (1C5) just added it in the last month or so. I think it's great, not only for checking weather (so I can use my tools of choice, not just whatever they happen to have installed), but also so I CAN check e-mail. Especially if you're going to be weathered in for a while, that is very valuable.

Plus, if you're going to be doing a check ride, they need to have high-speed internet and a printer to use the new automated form. Hoping to be able to take advantage of that soon! :)

I think the more important question here is....what percentage of wireless internet access points are FBOs?

My bad…yes the question should have been something like “Of the FBO's that you have visited, what percentage had wireless internet?

I understand know one has been to all the FBOs, I was just wondering for those of you that fly regularly or have visited many, if you could give your best estimate.

- Eric

I’m actually investigating the idea of creating a business that would help FBOs provide wireless internet access for their visitors. This all would be free for the FBO and for the users.

I need some insight from pilots and FBOs. If anyone would like to know more and would be willing to give some feedback, please e-mail me at: egeier@wireless-nets.com.

Thanks
- Eric

eric1328 said:
I’m actually investigating the idea of creating a business that would help FBOs provide wireless internet access for their visitors. This all would be free for the FBO and for the users.
It's not that hard for an FBO to set up wireless for visitors themselves if the FBO already has a high speed connection, is it? I visited one recently that had the same little wireless router that I have on my desk.

As a pilot who sometimes has to spend a lot of time in FBOs, wireless is nice. I hadn't been taking my laptop on day trips until fairly recently when I discovered that many places have wireless. I think it's become much more prevalent in the past year or two. I couldn't guess at a percentage, though.

Everskyward said:
It's not that hard for an FBO to set up wireless for visitors themselves if the FBO already has a high speed connection, is it? I visited one recently that had the same little wireless router that I have on my desk..
Yes, it’s pretty easy to setup a simple wireless router, such as those used in homes; however, it takes some time, much more money ($450+), and a bit more thought to setup a hotspot gateway.

Using a hotspot gateway would provide many benefits, such as bandwidth control and a very easy way to provide private wireless internet access for the FBOs internal use. If an FBO wanted a private encrypted wireless network for themselves and also wanted to provide public access they would likely have to use two different internet connections, or they could use a hotspot gateway like D-Link’s that has the public/private capability and would only require one internet connection.

Everskyward said:
As a pilot who sometimes has to spend a lot of time in FBOs, wireless is nice. I hadn't been taking my laptop on day trips until fairly recently when I discovered that many places have wireless. I think it's become much more prevalent in the past year or two. I couldn't guess at a percentage, though.
Thanks for the feedback!

my own does...

I can't reply to the poll, although my airport number has increased I still don't know who has wireless internet!

I took it to mean of the ones I've visited. I have visited a lot of FBOs, most of them NOT catering to business jets. I remember only 1, so in my case, it's way less than 20%. I wish more would.

I also have a pet peeve--the number of hotels that still charge for wireless access. Most don't now, but a few do, and it annoys the heck out of me.

Judy

judypilot said:
I also have a pet peeve--the number of hotels that still charge for wireless access. Most don't now, but a few do, and it annoys the heck out of me.
Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, the hotels that charge for internet are almost always the high end hotels, the same ones that put out bottles of water in the room with $4 price tags. :rolleyes:

Everskyward said:
Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, the hotels that charge for internet are almost always the high end hotels, the same ones that put out bottles of water in the room with $4 price tags. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I noticed.

Judy

Does anyone have an idea why more FBOs (or those without it) don’t offer wireless internet access for visitors?

For example here are a few things I have thought up...
  • They may not have the demand (don’t think people will use it)
  • Unable to get a high speed internet connection at the airport (not in a service area)
  • They don’t know what equipment to use or how to set it up
  • Don’t want to or can’t spend the money on the equipment or internet connection

eric1328 said:
Does anyone have an idea why more FBOs (or those without it) don’t offer wireless internet access for visitors?

Add..fear of liability issues and security threats (hacks, viruses, etc.)

However I'm guessing most of it is lack of education on how, what, and how much. It would be pretty simple to setup a cheap access point, use some type of changing security key that can be given to those authorized, etc.

Greg
182RG

IMO and just rambling:

My guess is: Most of them just plain haven't considered it.

Considering the small number of FBOs out there, how far they are spread apart, and the small profit per FBO, and the fact that most small FBO's do not have broadband internet access. I don't see this being viable to make much of a profit.

First off you have to go to these small FBO's and convince them to get a broadband connection (monthly fee) and then you have to convince them to buy equipment and THEN you have to convince them to pay you to set it up. That is a lot of convincing.

So really. The question is:
How good at sales are you?

If you are good. You'd be better off selling a service to a larger market and make some actual money.

Last edited:
jangell said:
the fact that most small FBO's do not have broadband internet access.

Do you think this is because they aren’t in the cable or DSL service area OR they just can’t afford it?

jangell said:
I don't see this being viable to make much of a profit.

I was thinking this could all be sponsorship funded.

jangell said:
First off you have to go to these small FBO's and convince them to get a broadband connection (monthly fee) and then you have to convince them to buy equipment and THEN you have to convince them to pay you to set it up. That is a lot of convincing.

Yes, they would need a broadband connection; however, the equipment would be given to them free and sent pre-configured to work with the hotspot network. They basically would just have to plug in the device and it would work.

I’m also thinking it could be possible to help FBOs with the costs of setting up a satellite internet connection, as I’m thinking that some of these small airports aren’t in a broadband service area.

Most of the FBOs that I know that are big enough to have a need for internet service for the employees (i.e. the shop, weather, flight training, etc) have a wireless access point installed and either it's open or they'll give you the WEP/WPA key.

The bigger ones that are security aware have a separate wireless LAN that connects to the internet but NOT to the corporate network.

But when you consider that many many FBOs don't even have a phone for each employee, let alone a computer, most don't offer it.

Signature/MillionAir/Etc all do.

I find it useful, particularly on ferry flights where I can just let my EFB find a WLAN and get the weather, pass updates to the client, etc.

TMetzinger said:
The bigger ones that are security aware have a separate wireless LAN that connects to the internet but NOT to the corporate network.
Do you have any idea if they're using technology such as VLANs to seperate the traffic or is the public network on a seperate internet connection?

Thanks for the feedback!
- Eric

I think they just have two cheap routers sharing a common internet connection router, but the two networks can't route to each other.

With the NATing available in the cheap routers, unless you explicitly set up static NAT or PAT it's hard to initiate a session to a host on the LAN side of the router.

I never looked nor have I had a device which would check. Now it makes me ask the question if mine is wifi friendly. If not, I believe I will encourage them to be wifi friendly and advertise it.
By the way, while on vacation last year, I was staying in a cottage a few lots away from a major motel chain. I fired up my laptops (yes, plural; another story), and connected via their wide open wifi. So how many places (your home included) are wifi networks available? And is yours? Want to fix it? Email me.

I work for a community college, and we are intentionally wide-open. We've talked to the FBI about it and, while they're not crazy about it, there's no law against it. At home, I've locked things down a little more. :)

Back