WinXP updates over & over

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 and noticed recently that I'm repeatedly prompted to install an update. I think I've successfully install it (KB971486) 5 times and it shows up in both Windows Update & in Add/Remove Programs.

I'm currently working on scanning my system for spyware as directed by MS before trying the other steps. Any suggestions or should I just go with the MS solution?

stats
Win XP Pro SP3
CPU: AMD Athlon
AV: Bit Defender
No P2P or pirated software on system.
No new installs in over 3 months (outside of updates to everything)

What are you using for a malware scan?

This one has worked for me when nothing else did.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Have you used Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the offending update? Did it uninstall successfully? If not try using a registry cleaner such as CCleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

No guarantees these will address your problem but they might help track down the problem cause.

What are you using for a malware scan?

HiJackthis to check for anything obviously out of place then Spybot S&D (booted Windows in safe mode first). Detected nothing this time. Except for 1 time years ago I don't get spyware. I don't even have any spyware/malware/virus like activity going on as best I can figure. just did it since MS said so. Though this is feeling like "clear your cache & delete your cookies".

Have you used Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the offending update? Did it uninstall successfully?

Yup. uninstalled with no errors (checked system log). then did the update and same thing. Unfortunately I've got a day job, so I'll continue to tackle this tonite.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Or try this...

1. Uninstall the update in Add/Remove programs.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Once it FULLY restarts (give it a while; get some coffee or something), restart the computer again into Safe Mode.

4. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.

5. Find a folder in C:\Windows\System32 named "Catroot2." Delete it. NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ONLY DELETE "Catroot2," NOT "Catroot."

6. Restart the computer into regular mode.

7. Download and save the update from Microsoft. Save it somewhere as opposed to letting it run from the server, then run it. If possible, disable any anti-malware software during the installation (or install it in Safe Mode if you can't).

8. Restart the computer yet again.

This trick is not specific to that update, but more often than not it solves this sort of problem.

-Rich

I'll backup the comp then try this tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if it works.
[rant]
In a more perfect world of IT this kind of update behaviour should cause a dialog box to pop up saying it didn't update or atleast leave an error in the system or application event log. A successful install that repeated prompts to reinstall just isn't.
[/rant]

Or try this...

1. Uninstall the update in Add/Remove programs.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Once it FULLY restarts (give it a while; get some coffee or something), restart the computer again into Safe Mode.

4. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.

5. Find a folder in C:\Windows\System32 named "Catroot2." Delete it. NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ONLY DELETE "Catroot2," NOT "Catroot."

6. Restart the computer into regular mode.

7. Download and save the update from Microsoft. Save it somewhere as opposed to letting it run from the server, then run it. If possible, disable any anti-malware software during the installation (or install it in Safe Mode if you can't).

8. Restart the computer yet again.

This trick is not specific to that update, but more often than not it solves this sort of problem.

-Rich

Buy a Mac.
And give up the pride of having a brandless Frankenstein computer assembled by me with parts carried over from the last upgrade?

Heck, until a while ago I even carried over an old 5.25" drive until I realized I hadn't used it in over 10 years and couldn't locate any media with files I cared about. Still holding a 3.5" drive for legacy though.

Back