Wings pilots: Arrow information?

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Adam, or anyone else who flies out of Wings, have ya'll flown the Arrow they have out there? What kind of avionics does it have? What kind of shape is it in, and what kind of performance does it have? I've got 4.5 hours in a 72 Arrow, which I really enjoyed.

Cathy and I are starting to strongly suspect that Sean is NOT afraid of bumps as he says, but is instead afraid of heights. He tells us he likes the Tiger because he can see the top of the wing, and it doesn't look so far down. Talking over the flights when he's gotten unhappy, they've all been in the Skyhawk, when he's looking down. I can sympathize, since I feel exactly the same way. The Tiger is still to far away, and Cathy doesn't share my willingness to drive that far for it. She should learn to fly, once she got her hands on the controls she'd change her mind. Anyway, I could get checked out in the Archer, but I note that the Arrow is only $10 hr extra, and more importantly it's availability is MUCH better. For example, the Archers are pretty heavily booked this coming weekend, but I can still get the Arrow for any of the three days.

Keep in mind that a Tiger has more payload, the same speed, more range with the same payload, and lower cost than an Arrow. Unless you need to build complex time, the Tiger is far more cost effective with no tradeoff in performance.

Ron Levy said:
Keep in mind that a Tiger has more payload, the same speed, more range with the same payload, and lower cost than an Arrow. Unless you need to build complex time, the Tiger is far more cost effective with no tradeoff in performance.

We definitely like the Tiger better. But, the Tiger is 1 hour away on a good day, closer to 1 1/2 on most days. That drive sucks after getting home from a trip that may have only been an hour and a half in the first place. Even on a bad traffic day Wings is only 1/2 hour away. With fuel surcharges rental fees for the Arrow at Wings is $120 hr, Wings' Skyhawks and Archers are $110 hr, and the Tigers at PNE are $95. By the time I'm done paying landing fees charged by PNE, extra gas for the drive, etc. the Arrow just doesn't cost that much more than the Tiger to rent. The Arrow will carry what we need it to carry, and it's performance is acceptable if it's not totally dogged out like some Arrows. Given the drive time to PNE and superior availability of the Arrow on the rental schedule, my prime concern is whether or not it's a beaten dog with pretty paint. So far all of Wings' planes have been in quite good shape.

Back