Wings Fly-B-Q Airplane Tips

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Tip #1:
Turn your master switch off upon shutdown.

Tip#2:
Wait until everyone leaves before confessing you left master switch on.

BBQ At Wings Field: $8
Price per gallon of avgas: $3.79
Remembering to turn off the master: Priceless

Hey Ed -

When we got our R22 we noticed that one of our partners always left the anticollision strobe switched on. We couldn't figure out why... so one of us asked him.

Answer: "It serves two purposes. When you flip on the master, the strobe comes on too, so everybody around knows something is going to happen. Even more importantly, if you look back at the ship after parking and you see the strobe, you know you left the master on."

Doh! It made so much sense to me that I now always leave the anticollision strobe switched on in both fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.

RotaryWingBob said:
Hey Ed -

When we got our R22 we noticed that one of our partners always left the anticollision strobe switched on. We couldn't figure out why... so one of us asked him.

Answer: "It serves two purposes. When you flip on the master, the strobe comes on too, so everybody around knows something is going to happen. Even more importantly, if you look back at the ship after parking and you see the strobe, you know you left the master on."

Doh! It made so much sense to me that I now always leave the anticollision strobe switched on in both fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.

That's exactly what I do too.

RotaryWingBob said:

Me too. But I found out last summer it does not always work as intended. :no: :(

Greg Bockelman said:
Me too. But I found out last summer it does not always work as intended. :no: :(
I use a "linear" sequence for shut down as well.

In a Robinson, after pulling the mixture, you have to wait for the clutch light to go out. When that happens, you just go left to right: alternator field, master, mags -- all off.

In Cherokees, I go right to left -- avionics master, any other switches along the way, alternator field, master, pull the mixture.

I figure it helps if you always do the same sequence.

BTW Greg, why didn't it work for you last summer?

Back