wing tip or landing light modifications

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Wing tip or landing light modifications.
We have the fabric off the 48's wings, so this is the time for modifications.
The old light a was a retractable 12V 200 Amp single bulb, this was removed and it is long gone.
The wing has already modified to twin light similar to the 172's, should we keep it or.
The wingtip type looks cool, and may be made to Flash in both sides.

Looking for options?

I don’t have an answer to your question but have a question of my own. I am surprised the landing light is 200 amps. Is that a typo or the light actually is 200 amps?

Have you got a link for the wingtip lights you are thinking about? Frankly, with the original wingtip bows, I don’t see how those lights can be mounted.

My suggestion is to use what is there and put high intensity LED bulbs in it. One thing I noticed with the “normal” light bulbs in “my” ‘48 was that they were hot enough to soften the plexiglass lens. I don’t think LEDs will do that and they draw less current, IIRC.

I don’t have an answer to your question but have a question of my own. I am surprised the landing light is 200 amps. Is that a typo or the light actually is 200 amps?
I didn't do a actually reading. (This was done prior to 2011) because the light was in-op. but it had a number # 0 wire to it and it required a solenoid to control it.
If it matters you can ask Avlight

Last edited:
Have you got a link for the wingtip lights you are thinking about? Frankly, with the original wingtip bows, I don’t see how those lights can be mounted.

My suggestion is to use what is there and put high intensity LED bulbs in it. One thing I noticed with the “normal” light bulbs in “my” ‘48 was that they were hot enough to soften the plexiglass lens. I don’t think LEDs will do that and they draw less current, IIRC.
Is that what happen to them?
This is I want to use a different place.

This modification will be a made to fit, one off. I'm certain there are no ready made units.
The bulbs have been changed to LED alread, and they are plenty bright.

Last edited:
Why not install in both Wings?

Yep...I have a Grimes retractable landing light in my 195...slaps the amp meter when it kicks on.

My '48 has the landing and taxi lights together on the left wing. LEDs. I haven't seen the wingtip lights on a 170, but you might try searching or asking on the TIC170A forum cessna170.org.

200A sounds unlikely, that'd be 2400W. 20A (240W) or 200W (17A) is more likely.

Old style (not LED) landing lights from ACS are 50-250W.

200A sounds unlikely, that'd be 2400W. 20A (240W) or 200W (17A) is more likely.

Old style (not LED) landing lights from ACS are 50-250W.
Not really a worry now, the old light is history. The old retractable light was replaced when the leading edge light was changed to dual LED.
The new owner is content to retain the configuration.
This only leaves one thing to do is to, manufacture a new lens.

Back