Windy Schmindy!!

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
Yesterday we had what folks estimated as 24040kt, but zero gusts, right at TPA (and above) - it was as placid as a yogi on the ground, and about 200' above the trees, you felt a bit of a bump (as we touched the bottom of the airflow, I think) and within another 50-100', I was in a 35 degree crab into the wind to maintain my track. It certainly made for interesting turns downwind->base and base->final for rwy 320!

I started off by doing two complete circuits of the pattern, simply because that's the most wind I've dealt with making those turns. I thought about the turn from base to final, and how it would want to push me wide of the mark, overshooting so I'd find the rwy to my left (l-hand pattern). And I thought of all I'd read about how folks do cross-controlled approach stalls. And then I thought that I didn't want to do any of those!
biggrin.gif
After two circuits I had the hang of it, um, turn-wise anyway! But I didn't have enough flaps on initially, so I had a bit o' speed and between that and the Horton STOL kit, well, my flare was certainly flare-y! Almost balloon-like! Maybe not "almost"!!
biggrin.gif
So, ok, I bounced like Dolly Parton fallin' down stairs. But I landed, and went back up to give 'er another try (uh, landing - not Dolly).

On the SECOND landing, I did quite well, no bouncing at all. My turns and approach weren't perfect (still working on that side-slip thingie) but better than the first, for sure. Admittedly, though, it was still calm as a cow on the ground!)

By the time I was on my FIFTH and last landing, well...
biggrin.gif
as we were rolling toward the turnoff the CFI I was flying around with (a very helpful young man named Joey) said, "You know, I don't believe I could have done that any better myself!"
biggrin.gif

It was a great morning!

Sounds like Troutdale, OR. I learned to fly there. Winds would often howl through the gorge upwards of 40-50 knots quite often. Luckily for us, it was right down the runway most of the time. Great learning platform.

Sounds like a real learning experiance Tom, Congrats
Dave G.

Thanks, y'all - it was pretty great. Of course, the NEXT time it was all gusty and turbulent and I had to wrestle with it!

x-winds are the thing that gets all of us (in my humble opinion) since it's never the same and there is a lot of trial and error. Great job Tom!

kevin47881 said:
x-winds are the thing that gets all of us (in my humble opinion) since it's never the same and there is a lot of trial and error. Great job Tom!

Yeah, but you sure get a great feeling of satisfaction when you wrestle one all the way to the ground and then grease it onto the runway. I think I did that once. :D

Good job! I remember beating myself to death landing in strong crosswinds and gusty winds when a student to the point of when I would encouter light winds down the runway I almost didn't know how to land. :p

Thanks, y'all. Of course, being in the throes of spring, I've not been flying solo since that first time, and the winds have not been so consistent or learnable . . . 20-something kt winds, gusting to 30-something knots. Ain't nobody flying around in these leetle planes off this leetle grassy strip.

Dang.

Back