Windy Day in Germany

Re: Ay Carumba!

Wonder how much of that left wing tip came off and where he eventually landed.

No worries, just straighten that thing out and it'll be good to go!

LiveLeak-dot-com-158165-lufthansa2.jpeg

To think... Boeing charges half a mil to add winglets! This is much more economical! :)

They can just CDL the winglets. I saw an airways Airbus pulling out of the gate one day with a winglet on one side, straight wing on the other. It was weird looking, to say the least.

Re: How not to do a crosswind landing in a passenger jet

Watching this, at first I thought. So? It's just a crab..." then watch how well it goes :hairraise:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/video/?slug=chi-080303germanplane-wn

Still the "almost crashed" it is a bit of a stretch, but every passenger thinks that.
Aside from the fact that this is already being discussed in two other threads, I have to say that I would agree with the "almost crashed". When you have a wing touch the ground, especially near the edge, where you'll find runway lights, it doesn't seem too farfetched to think you have a good likelihood of getting into a cartwheel. That's a crash in my book! :hairraise:

Would have been weird sitting in a window seat on the left side of the plane seeing the whole runway ahead of you.

Scary!!!!!

Hate to play Monday Morning quarterback, but I would have diverted to an airport with a runway more aligned with the wind. That was "plane" scary.

I rode through a landing sort of like that at Las Vegas once. Had a window seat over the wing and did have a view straight down the runway until touchdown ... was VERY strange!

Is this a photo of the Airbus in question? If so, it looks like he did actually manage to cut down a runway light in the process as well. There is a nice sized bash in the wing LE just to the right of the positional/wingtip marker light assembly (in the very center of the photo)... This was a CLOSE call.

No worries, just straighten that thing out and it'll be good to go!

LiveLeak-dot-com-158165-lufthansa2.jpeg

It's a good thing he wasn't trying to land at a golf course! :eek:

Good save by the aircrew on this one!

Back