Windshield replacement

Just a piece of plastic. As I understand it, the real expense is in the installation, as every aircraft is a bit different so they aren't made to size, and have to be filed down by your mechanic. At least, that's what my mechanic told me.

Just a piece of plastic. As I understand it, the real expense is in the installation, as every aircraft is a bit different so they aren't made to size, and have to be filed down by your mechanic. At least, that's what my mechanic told me.

Correct. They are made oversize and require "custom fitting". Not a bad job on an airplane like a Chief, but it does take care and time to properly install. Like the carpenter says, "measure twice cut once."

Also make sure you are using the correct tools for drilling and cutting. One mistake and you have a crack.

FWIW I have had good experience with LP Plastics and also Cee Baily. Call LP plastics and tell them you are an FBO and you'll get a better price.

Two comments:

1) Wow--cheap! The windshield for my M20E ranges from $230 to $400 (one vendor), but

2) that range has to do with thickness and color tints.

Are those parts all identical?

But your Mooney probably has a compound-curved windshield that requires a higher, accurately controlled heat to soften the plastic just enough for draping over a mold. Lots more work than the three simple curves on a Chief windshield: one on the left, one on the right, one across the top.

Dan

Do you mind a piece of advice from an old Mech that has done this many times?

Heat the window to a temp that is uncomfortable to touch before you try incerting into the aircraft, Warm plastic doesn't crack as easy as cold plastic.

re-sharpen your drill to the angles given in the 43,13-2B, then it will not grab the plastic as strongly as a regular drill.

My advice, FWIW.

If you are going to have a mechanic install it, buy the windshield HE advises. Every one of them have their favorites and it will be smoother to go with the flow.

Do you mind a piece of advice from an old Mech that has done this many times?

Heat the window to a temp that is uncomfortable to touch before you try incerting into the aircraft, Warm plastic doesn't crack as easy as cold plastic.

re-sharpen your drill to the angles given in the 43,13-2B, then it will not grab the plastic as strongly as a regular drill.

Tom -- I apprecaite all advice, especially from old, wizened types :D

Good idea. I'll be doing *most* of the work -- IA will supervise.

How do you suggest heating the plastic?

Tom -- I apprecaite all advice, especially from old, wizened types :D

Good idea. I'll be doing *most* of the work -- IA will supervise.

How do you suggest heating the plastic?

I use a hot air gun and a card board box but, do not get it too hot and warp it. it only needs to be warm NOT HOT.

leave the protective coating on it until the job is complete, just peel back enough around the edges to install it.

NEVER install it with a sealant, it must be free to move in the structure, or it will crack in use.

If your old one comes out with a felt edge cushion, use a good quality felt window seal from your local hardware store to replace it.

Back