Windshield on a Mooney

W

writer_at_work

My brother-in-law just bought a 1981 Mooney M20J (201). I'm looking for a Christmas gift for him and thought I'd just get some aircraft cleaning supplies. One item I found says it's for "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]cleaning and maintaining plastic aircraft windshields."

Does the Mooney M20J 201 have a plastic windshield? I've searched all over and can't find windshield specs anywhere.

Any help is appreciated. Any Mooney owners who'd like to chime in with suggestions for good cleaning items would be a great help to me. I want to be sure to get him products that are useful and work well.

Thanks, and have a great day!
[/FONT]

Yes, the Mooney has a plastic windshield and it must be cleaned with a non ammonia based cleaner. There are several other items you could get him as well.
1. Small hand held vacuum with a hose attachment.
2. Wash/Wax.
3. Kitty litter, to clean up the oil it will drip.

Thats a few off the top of my head and I am sure others will add to the list.

Be a swell in-law and get him a cleaning kit.

:eek:

I'll bet he WOULD think I was swell. But that uh... sorta exceeds our pre-determined gift budget.

Thanks for all the great ideas though. Keep 'em coming.

The cleaning kit will make a really nice gift. However you could save some money and get him the poor man's aircraft window cleaning kit.

I never found anything that cleaned plastic aircraft windshields as well as regular lemon Pledge. Having opened the preverbial worm can, I will now expect to be flamed out of existance. But I can say that I used nothing but Pledge on several aircraft windshields for years and never once experienced any ill effects except really clean windshields.

BTW while you'll probably be able to find the best thing I've ever used to remove grease and oil from the plane's belly in the same isle as my favorite windshield cleaner.

be careful with the handheld vac - the mooney steel tube frame can become magnetized and effect the mag compass. Best way to clean out the airplane is with a shopvac and a long hose, as magnetic fields have an inverse-square (or is it inverse-cube?) relationship between distance and strength, and fall off rapidly.

I used Pledge until I found WWA. Have to give the bubbles a try. Orginal GOJO (non-abrasive) works good too. Pretty cheap at Habor Freight.

You might consider a year's membership in one of the Mooney type goups:

www.mooneypilots.com
www.mooneyowners.com

Either one is about $50 for a one year membership. I doubt that one is particularly better than the other but chances are one or two of the Mooney pilots on this board will chime in with an opinion on that.

And yes, the Mooney and virtually all piston powered light planes have plastic windshields. There are several products made for cleaning them and Sporty's would be a good place to find something. Also keep in mind that standard paper towels are a no-no (they scratch) and that there are special paper and cloth products made for this purpose.

www.sportys.com/pilotshop

This cleaning kit might make a nice gift:

www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=10507

-lance

You might consider a year's membership in one of the Mooney type goups:

www.mooneypilots.com
www.mooneyowners.com

Either one is about $50 for a one year membership. I doubt that one is particularly better than the other but chances are one or two of the Mooney pilots on this board will chime in with an opinion on that.

Don't bother with MOA. Go with MAPA

I never found anything that cleaned plastic aircraft windshields as well as regular lemon Pledge. Having opened the preverbial worm can, I will now expect to be flamed out of existance.

I have used Pledge to clean the shield on my motorcycle helmet for the last 15 years. Nothing beats it.

DuPont Sonota windsheild wipes. Paper but soft as a babies butt. Used them on the jets for years.

i gotta try pledge on my windshield...
hey does anyone know if pledge is good for making windshields clearer or is it just for getting the hard dirt off??

The windshield on my warrior is starting to look old...Its starting to look foggy..especially at night ..can i just use a plastic polish on it with a buffer?? I have alot of experience detailing cars, but i know the products for aircraft are slightly different

Hey Joe Gremlin where in central Nj are you...Im based out of 3N6..

Ant

Back