Windscreen Crazing and Rennovation

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
My windscreen and windows have a few areas of light crazing and very light scratches. I'm ordering a mechanical (using a drill -v- using your hand) Micromesh kit for the renovation of the windows and windscreen.

Anyone else do this to their plane? Thoughts? Technique recommendations?

Thank you in advance for comments. :D

Last edited:
we tried that on the bonanza and had to order a new windshield anyway. It made a difference on some scratches but not a dent in the crazing...hope you have better luck.

I'm sure there are some youtube videos. Never done it myself, but I imagine it's not too hard. Maybe try experimenting on a piece of acrylic before you hit your windows.

My windscreen and windows have a few areas of light crazing and very light scratches. I'm ordering a mechanical (using a drill -v- using your hand) Micromesh kit for the renovation of the windows and windscreen.

These kits will not remove crazing, they will clean and remove surface scratches. but crazing is a deep crack not on the surface.

It is something some people try before buying a new windshield. Mostly it just causes distortion, since it is impossible to resurface the plastic perfectly flat. Anyway, the crazing is still there.

It is kind of like marriage counseling. It is something you do right before divorce.

It is something some people try before buying a new windshield. Mostly it just causes distortion, since it is impossible to resurface the plastic perfectly flat. Anyway, the crazing is still there.

It is kind of like marriage counseling. It is something you do right before divorce.

Been there done that! :rolleyes2:

I have had professionals tell me that light crazing can be removed. We will see.

Been there done that! :rolleyes2:

I have had professionals tell me that light crazing can be removed. We will see.

Crazing can be removed, it is just a matter of how much material you want to remove, most of it is deep with in the material .

Hey now! I waited two+ years to replace the windscreen after trying to remove the scratches.

The process replaces large scratches with many, many, many, tiny scratches that are hardly noticeable. It will not remove deep scratches without creating distortion from grinding deep into the plastic.

If you remove enough material it will be perfectly clear, but windy

I have had professionals tell me that light crazing can be removed.

Were these guys the same ones that were selling you the kit?

I'll bet it will take longer and be less successful than replacing the window.

I replaced my windscreen two door windows and two rear windows with a 1/4' tinted wind screen, 4" bubble tinted windows, and two 1/4" rear windows, for less than $1,000

Crazing can be removed, it is just a matter of how much material you want to remove, most of it is deep with in the material .

I've looked at the real close. I don't think it is deeper than .005. I'm gonna give it a try. What the heck, I can always divorce my windscreen. :lol:

Were these guys the same ones that were selling you the kit?

I'll bet it will take longer and be less successful than replacing the window.

I replaced my windscreen two door windows and two rear windows with a 1/4' tinted wind screen, 4" bubble tinted windows, and two 1/4" rear windows, for less than $1,000

A windscreen for the -10 is $470 + shipping. The problem is they are bonded in with fiberglass. Not a big deal, in a heated hangar. ;)

No, these are the pros that do it for a living.

Last edited:
Scratches and crazing are two different things. Crazing is stress cracks indicating that the acrylic is beginning to break down. Even if you were successful at grinding off enough material and re-polishing they are just going to come back. It would be a complete waste of time.

Scratches and crazing are two different things. Crazing is stress cracks indicating that the acrylic is beginning to break down. Even if you were successful at grinding off enough material and re-polishing they are just going to come back. It would be a complete waste of time.

The cause of the crazing is not age, it was the previous owner using glass cleaner or 409, something with ammonia.

There is another consideration. Old plexiglass is weak and shatters, especially if it is crazed and has been ground down. New plexi offers more protection from bird strikes.

Some decades ago I had a friend killed in his seaplane, passing "hole-in-the-wall" near Stuart Island BC. A bird came through his windshield. Nice kid too. He worked for Kenmore Air Harbor. This was in a Beaver, going slow!

NuFinish and a cotton cloth.

Nothing more needed.

No power tools needed.

It ain't gonna miraculously get fixed with one application. But twice a month for year or so and you'll notice quite a difference.

My plane's side glass were horribly crazed because they weren't adequately protected during the paint stripping process. Two years late they were quite acceptable. Not perfect, mind you, but not offensively hammered either.

I ordered a Micromesh kit from ACS. While I wait I decided to buy a smaller kit for doing the plastic headlight covers on my wife's car. They were yellow and hazy. The Meguiers kit consists of 4 different sanding pads, a buffing wheel for a drill and polishing cream. I followed the instructions and I must say it was quite impressive to see the results. I'm now ready for the plane! :D

I'm headed out to the hangar to use the remaining product on a couple of side windows and see how they turn out.

Last edited:
I have had the micro mesh kit sitting in the hangar a while. I was going to do my old windshield but I ended up replacing it when the "might as wells" hit turning the air plane restoration.

Yes, but I use the hand kit, it works very well.

Yes, but I use the hand kit, it works very well.

I used the remaining supplies in the Meguiers Headlight reconditioning kit to remove side window scratches. I also removed a 3" x 1" spot of lite crazing! Lots of elbow grease, but it worked!

I have a big Micromesh kit coming form ACS so I am going to tackle the entire wind screen with power tool! :D

Geico266 said:
I have a big Micromesh kit coming form ACS so I am going to tackle the entire wind screen with power tool! :D

Just remember that power tools will let you make a big mistake very quickly. Be very careful. -Skip

Will any of the wipe on products you see on TV for car headlights work on a plane?

None of the "just wipe on and wipe right of" products will work on anything. Polishes use abrasives, so need the polishing action.
I've had good luck with Meguiars PlastX on car headlight covers, but I'm told it's key to put a "UV protectant" on over that. Makes sense, but I'm not sure what those are or where to get them.
Haven't done anything on aircraft windows/windscreens.

None of the "just wipe on and wipe right of" products will work on anything. Polishes use abrasives, so need the polishing action.
I've had good luck with Meguiars PlastX on car headlight covers, but I'm told it's key to put a "UV protectant" on over that. Makes sense, but I'm not sure what those are or where to get them.
Haven't done anything on aircraft windows/windscreens.

STP Son of a Gun is a decent UV protectant product, or used to be.

Back