Windows XP Professional 64 bit (Athalon X2) - Virus software?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Can anyone recommend any Antivirus software for Win XP 64bit? I've only been able to find http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_professional.html as compatible programs. McAfee is due out in 2k6 and Symantec doesnt even mention it for home versions.

Can anyone tell me how good "Avast" is?

The more I think about it, the more I think I may go back down to 32bit XP.
- The mobo drivers for 64 bit weren't even on the mobo's cd
- the mobo only supports 4gb of RAM, so no memory limit benefits there
- not many apps support 64 bit processing - a few games that I don't play

And I dont really want to buy yet ANOTHER AV program...

I have minimal experiance with Avast. I never much cared for it.

I'm a big fan of AVG. It's clean, quick, has a low footprint and is very effective.

I hate Norton Anti-Virus with a passion. It's very good at corrupting itself. Not so easy to make it install properly after this.

I had to fight it daily. Along with making several custom scripts for removal. Sometimes though you'd still spend hours on hours trying to make it install. It's very dependant on ActiveX and Internet Explorer....

Greebo said:
The more I think about it, the more I think I may go back down to 32bit XP.

64 bit windows just is NOT worth the hassle yet. I made an attempt a few months ago. It's nothing but a fight.

At this point it's all about Ubuntu AMD64 .. and win32 for gaming.

Last edited:
I'm running AVAST personal edition. It's the solution of choice for me. It's the OTHER Czech anti-virus company. Wonder why they have such an industry?

My only gripe is when I tell it NOT to look for updates, it complains when it can't connect to look for updates. If I have my PC on the company VPN, outside 'net access gets disabled.

Mine is an Athlon 64, but I run 32 bit Windows XP Pro. I think there are still too many apps that can't grok Windows 64.

Avast personal edition is also free for non-commerical use.

Thanks but I decided to go back to win32 for now until there is wider adoption. Until there's software to support 64 bits, I'm not missing anything by not using it. :)

Back