Windows ugh

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
I have spent the last hour trying to change the time zone on a new windows 10 machine. I have an administrator login. Every time I try to change the time zone it gives me a window telling me to contact the system administrator. WTF Microsoft. It should not be this difficult to set the time. I hate windows.

I bought an HP laptop a couple years ago to program GDL82 installs and to write logbook entries and 337's. I liked it until it upgraded itself about a year ago..it is a real PIA to use now.

It’s all about perspective. Remember Windows ME?

Win 10 sucks. It weasles personal info out of you in exchange for functionality. Microsoft is evil!

Got rid of my last "Windows" PC today. Wife got her new iPad. So, the Dell laptop gets the hard drive removed and ventilated before in gets "donated" to GoodWill. After the Win10 debacle, I refuse to go to 11.

Tax software, iTunes, garmin database download…otherwise it goes unused.

To the anti-virus question, just Microsoft, default settings. I think the utility of AV these days is a bit questionable, and I don't think the other options are worth any premium. Instead, I use firefox w/ noscript add-on, and I don't run as a local admin day to day. Back up your files off-line in some manner to reduce risk of damage from ransom ware. Don't let other people use the computer.

Corporate environment, I recommend some sort of monitored endpoint product, like crowdstrike or tanium. No affiliation, have just seen good results. Zero-trust ideas are great, but if you're running legacy software (Microsoft) you need to be extra cautious about the internal network. Perimeter firewalls, IPS, segmentation, all matter.

Day to day, I use a chromebook a lot now. Same spy collection as Microsoft, but it's faster, cheaper, and more reliable.

There is no reason Windows 7 couldn't be brought up to modern standard.

I wish one of the hacker or pirate groups had done that. Windows 10 is a **** show, and Windows 11 is shaping up to be a **** cabaret.

My Linux boxes just work, and you don't have to reboot them a dozen times to complete an OS update. And you can build up a new system in a half hour. It takes me near all day to configure a Window machine with all the software I use, as well as set up accounts, while avoiding setting up a Microsoft account. The only reason I keep Win10 machines is for a handful of required Windows-only software. I'm not upgrading anything to 11 for at least a year, to let drivers catch up and to let major bugs get caught.

Yeah, agree. The market for Windows boxes is business software on the desktop, and anyone using software written by smaller or legacy vendors that don't want to develop for both Windows and Linux. The strategy of Windows is to lock customers into that proprietary software stack, integrating it tightly with the collaborative software to make it difficult and expensive for companies to move off that platform. Rather than focus on making the software efficient or reliable, they continue to change features around, to force regular updates of hardware. It's a consumer based system, but they've been using it successfully with businesses for decades.

I just had to update to Win10 because Jepp download software needed to be updated and Jepp’s new update doesn’t work with Win7. Took me 7 hours to update from Win 7 to 10. Then I had to update the Jepp software, then upload the nav data to a thumb drive, then upload the thumb drive to my Avidyne GPS. How did navigation get so computer dependent?

The machine above is dual boot with Linux Mint. I never thought to try the Jepp software with Mint...

You guys must be asking a lot of your Win-boxes, lol. I've used just about every iteration of Windows since 3.1 and I never really had any issues with them. Now, my uses are typical home consumer or business/finance end-user, so I'm not exactly pushing the boundaries of what the system is designed to do. Every version I've had just needed to be able to open up an internet browser, run the MS Office Suite, and maybe a handful of other proprietary ERP systems. They all worked as designed. 99% of the time I was getting upgraded every 3 years due to company laptop policy or, in the instance of the home PC, the hardware itself was beyond its useful life. The version of Windows really wasn't the problem, although I will say that Win8 was probably the most un-necessary upgrade. Win 7 and Win10 were fine. I'm sure from an IT-standpoint, yeah there's a lot of security stuff/patches to mess with, but for the basic user it's usually not an issue.

I have spent the last hour trying to change the time zone on a new windows 10 machine. I have an administrator login. Every time I try to change the time zone it gives me a window telling me to contact the system administrator. WTF Microsoft. It should not be this difficult to set the time. I hate windows.

My greetings from Microsoft on Christmas Day was to find an Edge window open - and a sub-window announcing "this program runs better in Microsoft Edge" - or words to that effect. Not sure how I got to that point (perhaps
accidentally). There was one choice: Continue to Edge. Couldn't decline, and couldn't close the Edge window. The only way out was to either shut it down in Task Manager or reboot the PC. I have never gone beyond the
"Agreement" shoved in my face when starting Edge (because I don't agree, and doubt if I ever will).

Dave

My greetings from Microsoft on Christmas Day was to find an Edge window open - and a sub-window announcing "this program runs better in Microsoft Edge" - or words to that effect. Not sure how I got to that point (perhaps
accidentally). There was one choice: Continue to Edge. Couldn't decline, and couldn't close the Edge window. The only way out was to either shut it down in Task Manager or reboot the PC. I have never gone beyond the
"Agreement" shoved in my face when starting Edge (because I don't agree, and doubt if I ever will).

Dave
Disable edge in the apps screen, it can't be removed but you can disable it.

My Linux boxes just work, and you don't have to reboot them a dozen times to complete an OS update. And you can build up a new system in a half hour. It takes me near all day to configure a Window machine with all the software I use, as well as set up accounts, while avoiding setting up a Microsoft account. The only reason I keep Win10 machines is for a handful of required Windows-only software. I'm not upgrading anything to 11 for at least a year, to let drivers catch up and to let major bugs get caught.
I didn't go to Windows 10 until they stopped supporting Windows 7, and then only because I could no longer run TurboTax on Win 7. Probably wait about that long before I leave Windows 10.

I didn't go to Windows 10 until they stopped supporting Windows 7, and then only because I could no longer run TurboTax on Win 7. Probably wait about that long before I leave Windows 10.
It's possible that none of my computers will run Windows 11, so I was glad to hear that Windows 10 will continue to be updated (at least for a while). I don't like being forced to buy new hardware.

It's possible that none of my computers will run Windows 11, so I was glad to hear that Windows 10 will continue to be updated (at least for a while). I don't like being forced to buy new hardware.
If your computer/laptop is more than 3 years old, it might be a moot point. Apparently, Windows 11 requires the BIOS to have TPM (I think Total Protection Module). Without it, and it being enabled, you won't be able to install Windows 11. I can see Microsoft End of Life-ing Windows 11 about the time Windows 13 comes around (remind me to stay far away from that version :)) and you'll be forced to upgrade your hardware. My current rig is high performance, and nothing I run on it comes close to bogging it down. I'd hate to replace it just because it doesn't have the TPM (I'm probably OK, the MB is less than 3 years old, and EVGA has great support.)

I have used Linux as my primary OS since 1997 and have no trouble forcing Windows 11 to do what I want. It helps to have lots of training and experience with both.

I don't take no crap from a computer.

I have used Linux as my primary OS since 1997 and have no trouble forcing Windows 11 to do what I want. It helps to have lots of training and experience with both.

I don't take no crap from a computer.
You should write a book!

Back