Windows Media Player downloading

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
It seems that with the "new and improved" WMP version 11 is constantly "downloading catalog from URGE". Is there any way to disable the constant downloading of something that I don't want?

Thanks.

Typically this comes from loading a CD and playing it. The player goes out to a database site looking for the track titles, maybe the artwork, etc..

In the options, look for something like "Retrieve information from the Internet" (in 10 that's the setting under Library) and uncheck it.

Another possibility is under Privacy, where there are a series of options for Internet downloading.

Right click on the "Urge" logo in the media player menu bar and select "Remove current service from menu"

I believe WMP 11 is still "beta" and currently has minimal documentation.

Brian Austin said:
Typically this comes from loading a CD and playing it. The player goes out to a database site looking for the track titles, maybe the artwork, etc..
Now that you mentioned it, I bet it's the music that goes with the videos that it searches for.

Brian Austin said:
Another possibility is under Privacy, where there are a series of options for Internet downloading.
I think that worked. Hadn't thought of looking in the Privacy section. Thanks Brian.

Steve said:
I believe WMP 11 is still "beta" and currently has minimal documentation.
I don't really like the latest version and wish I could go back to WMP 10.

LeonardMack said:
Uninstall 11 and reinstall 10.
Hmmmmm. I tried to remove 11 with add/remove programs and it said it removed it, but it didn't. I tried to install 10, but it won't install with 11 still there. I'm not very smart in the computer department, :no: , so I'm stuck with 11.

Did you remove the associated runtime and feature pack files, too? WMP11 uses a different file format than WMP10 and uses additional software than WMP10.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/installation.mspx

Q. How do I uninstall the Player?A. Windows Media Player is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be removed entirely. However, depending upon which version of the Player and Windows that you are using, you might be able to roll back to the version of the Player that was previously on your computer. The procedure varies depending upon which version of the Player you are running.
Windows Media Player 11
In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.
Click Remove a program, and then, at the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.
In the Windows Updates section, click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Change/Remove.
If prompted, restart your computer, and then log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.
In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.
In the Windows Updates section, click Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then click Change/Remove.
If prompted, restart your computer, and then log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.
In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.
Click Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0, and then click Change/Remove.
Note.gif
Note
If you remove Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and you try to play a protected file, you may get an error message indicating that the Player cannot play, burn, or sync protected files. To resolve the problem, you can install the Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime. For information about installing the Runtime, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 891122, "Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players."
You can also use System Restore to roll back to the previous version of the Player. For more information about System Restore, see Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur.

Diana said:
Hmmmmm. I tried to remove 11 with add/remove programs and it said it removed it, but it didn't. I tried to install 10, but it won't install with 11 still there. I'm not very smart in the computer department, :no: , so I'm stuck with 11.

Last edited:
Steve said:
Did you remove the associated runtime and feature pack files, too?
:no:
*Insert lots of instructions here*
Wow, looks like having WMP 11 isn't so bad after all...I guess I'll keep it. Thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:
Back