Window tint?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
So I'm based out here in AZ where the sun (and heat) never stops. Soon the typical daily temp will be 105-110 daily.

In order to cut down on the "greenhouse effect" in the cabin, I was thinking perhaps some sort of window tint might make sense. It would also allow my ice cooler to perhaps keep up a bit better.

From having my car done, I know there is some great technology now that can reduce heat transmission without being too dark (maybe even completely clear). This sort of tinting actually has titanium in it. I don't want "dark", but I do want to reduce heat.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about doing just the side windows, and maybe just the rear side windows. (Piper Comanche w/ 6 seats, so I have the extra set of rear windows)

Concerns:

1. Will it make a difference? I suspect yes based on my experience with the car.

2. Plexiglass windows are a whole different animal than car glass.

3. I have two partners (have not approached them on this yet). Obviously if "adhesive" tint is used, it cannot be removed if we decide we don't like it, or the tint develops bubbles, etc. On car glass, you _can_ remove the tint.

I've seen tint that sticks based only on "static cling" with no adhesive. Obviously, this would be easily removable, but the only offerings seem to just be "dark" and not "heat rejecting".

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with window tinting? Advice?

Dan

In my experience the "static cling" is a waste of time especially in high heat. Use a high quality tint such as Lumar and hire a professional. Tinting plexiglass is the same process just more time consuming due to the flex. I helped a friend tint an arrow and it was an all day project. Also check the far regs on tint, there are restrictions on percentage and location.

Hi Dan;
I have seen a couple of nice tint jobs done on airplanes but none of them looked good after a year or so (and you're correct; getting the adhesive off is a be-atch).
The biggest problem is the plexi expands and contracts more than glass does and thus allows the tint film to strech and bubble up.:mad:

The static cling stuff can be made to look good and has the advantage of being re-positionable when a bubble forms...

My Grumman had the static cling stuff on the top of the canopy and I don't remember it coming loose in the 4 years I owned it.
Clean good with Dawn liquid soap and rinse well. Take your time and you'll be surprised at your results! :goofy:

Chris

The rear windows in the 310 are tinted. It absolutely makes a difference in the summer. The front area is significantly warmer than the rear as a result, but it certainly helps overall comfort. I would do it. What you can buy today is certainly better than what you could buy when it was installed on this plane, which was probably 10 years ago.

3M Crystalline is the stuff you're after.

Looks nice. Is it adhesive or "static cling"?

Are there any issues with certification? I recall a discussion where someone wanted to update his interior and there were implications with that. I'm thinking the same thing here.

Best thing would be to replace the windows with ones that are already tinted. I am pretty sure you can't use adhesive film on acrylic, it can turn out cloudy.

Best thing would be to replace the windows with ones that are already tinted. I am pretty sure you can't use adhesive film on acrylic, it can turn out cloudy.

Not sure where I would find those for a 67 Comanche....

I know you can't use adhesive, that's why i would be looking for some kind of static cling "easily removable" tint.

I have the static type. It is too dark for the pilot/copilot windows but is ok for the back seats. It is NOT as clear as regular tint, but blocks a BUNCH of heat in the back seat!

Jim

I did the CSO a beech technique for an A36 came out pretty nice but I' took it off when it sold .. Didn't want any "amateur jobs" of any kind to pass on to the next owner or be subject to adverse criticism at a pre buy

Not sure where I would find those for a 67 Comanche....

I know you can't use adhesive, that's why i would be looking for some kind of static cling "easily removable" tint.

Look at the CSO link you get the static cling stuff from Walmart .... LP aero might have pre tinted windows for an elderly comanche

Window tint film does not work on plastic. Not for the long term.

What I have seen done was to get thin plastic inserts made. This is a thin (1/16") acrylic sheet formed and cut to fit the window. It was press fit into the opening and held in place by trim molding.

I would be leery of using window tinting that is intended for glass, on acrylic windows.

First some of the window tints are not compatible with acrylic, and could cause the windows to craze prematurely from the incompatibility.

There are companies out there that offer a window shade, or a sunshade to put on the glare-shield or under the windshield. However the problem is when you are in flight, you still have the problem with the sun and the heat. And I would be afraid of scratching my windshield every time I put it into place or removed it... There is also a company that for some rear windows they offer a double pane window to stick into the interior panels some how, not sure how they work, but they would only be for the windows behind the pilot.

Going way way back, manufacturers (Piper, Cessna, Beechcraft, Mooney) started using tinted windows in the late 50's early 60's to reduce heat and glare. This helps a little, piper liked using the smoked Gray tint on many of their models, and Cessna & Beech used the green tint for a long time as an option. Unfortunately I think from the factory the Comanche did not get any tinted windows, they were all clear. One of the things that Piper did do was start installing a double pane window that helped with heat to some extent and of course it helped with sound.

If you want the best thing (not the least expensive mind you) The best option would be to get windshields and windows with the "Solar control" additive. The results are nothing short of amazing and being in AZ where the dry heat, is still hot. Also it will block more UV and keep your interior from fading as fast.

The rear windows you can install a darker gray window (like many SUV's) and it will help with the heat too...

Put it this way, I know someone in TX that had a Solar Control windshield and a regular windshield. He put the regular windshield over his head, and then he did the same with the SC windshield and he said it was like standing in the shade with the SC windshield.

I hope this helped

John

Last edited:
Welcome to the group John!

For clarity, Great Lakes Aero Products, Inc. sells & I believe installs windshields. I've heard good things about the company on the Socata.org website. They also echo what he has said about material compability of automotive tint and the effectiveness of the solar control products.

Jim

Welcome to the group John!

For clarity, Great Lakes Aero Products, Inc. sells & I believe installs windshields. I've heard good things about the company on the Socata.org website. They also echo what he has said about material compability of automotive tint and the effectiveness of the solar control products.

Jim

Thank you for the kind words, Unfortuantely we do not install Windshields or windows, we do not have a Mechanic or A&P on staff to do so. We have helped Mechanics and FBO's to install windows, and we have someone on staff that has installed many of the windows that we do sell... We offer parts for more than 1000 different models, so being up to speed on each model would be quite the undertaking, but we do our honest best.

John

Thank you for the kind words, Unfortuantely we do not install Windshields or windows, we do not have a Mechanic or A&P on staff to do so. We have helped Mechanics and FBO's to install windows, and we have someone on staff that has installed many of the windows that we do sell... We offer parts for more than 1000 different models, so being up to speed on each model would be quite the undertaking, but we do our honest best.

John

We enjoy our camera ported pax window in our 182 from y'all. Nice to see ha here.

Back