Window Beading

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
I'm on the home stretch to my DIY Interior project. I have 35' of Window Beading which looks like this

WindowBeading.jpg

I have two questions around this. First is this something I paint and if so do you match the color to the plastics or white/black or something basic? The old stuff didn't appear to be painted so I'm assuming because of the movement it's not something that gets painted but wanted to double check.

The second question is do I only use this around the window plastics? I have quite a bit of it and didn't know if I should use it around all the plastics that touch windows, for example the front post pieces I included a picture of.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 54
I believe it's just an edge trim to help cover cuts and burrs, bridge gaps, etc. In a perfect world you wouldn't need it but interior panel fitting isn't a perfect science. Use it where you like it, leave it off where it isn't necessary.

Re: painting it? We used to able to get lots of colors in molded panels and trims. Not any more. These days you're forced to paint or leave it naked. I painted my last Plane Plastics parts. They held up okay and were simple to touch-up. I did my own tests of standard Krylon against the "special" Krylon plastics paint. No difference. I used standard stuff.

Who's interior did you use? Selkirk? Plane Plastics? Cessna?

I was speaking more specifically painting the beading. My concern is that it might look strange to have the default beige against the white plane and gray interior. Then again as you said it could help correct some of my fitting errors and might give it a great look even being beige.

I went with all Plane Plastic pieces out of Oklahoma :) . I'm replacing all but maybe 5 pieces, some were in good enough condition to reuse. I'm enjoying the process, it's a bit of a pain at times but looks really nice when it starts coming together. I'm using SEM Warm Gray as the color. I experimented with using two coats of silver and then a warm gray top coat to make it a really light gray. It was hard to keep it consistent so I'm going straight Warm Gray now and it's looking good.

I used Krylon on my seat frames, door jams, inside of the doors and rudder pedals. Probably would work on the plastics but my buddy who does boat stuff said the SEM can bend and will hold up better.... who knows but didn't want to risk it.

You say your paint is flexible. Paint it. It's pretty low risk.

Several years ago I used Selkirk and hated it. Replaced in a year or two later with Plane Plastics and Oratex insulation underneath. Better. Ultimately I ripped it all out and did applied foam/fabric panels over a Zolatone painted cabin. Love it. I always wondered why Plane Plastics doesn't offer colors using Kydex. It should be simple with their equipment. Everything about Kydex would be better.

Plane plastics offers a hush kit which is 1/2" open cell form precut for the plane. Some trimming is required but its pretty consistent for the most part. So that coupled with new door seals ect should reduce the noise or at least that's the plan. It's basically all over the plane minus the floor.

After some more looking at pictures I'm going to paint it the beading the same as the plastics. I also am going to use it on the posts just to fill any gaps. Plan to knock most this out tomorrow and over the weekend.

Plane plastics offers a hush kit which is 1/2" open cell form precut for the plane. Some trimming is required but its pretty consistent for the most part. So that coupled with new door seals ect should reduce the noise or at least that's the plan. It's basically all over the plane minus the floor.

After some more looking at pictures I'm going to paint it the beading the same as the plastics. I also am going to use it on the posts just to fill any gaps. Plan to knock most this out tomorrow and over the weekend.

Please if you could, post some pics of your work both during and after installation, I'm really interesting in seeing what the beading adds to the equation cosmetically. I've worked with SEM quite a bit and like it, but find it scrapes off easily.

Like I said, I've had stock, Selkirk, and Plane Plastics interior panels. I was always changing something. Searching for something. Then in 2010 I ripped out the panel, interior, and all the wiring and started over. My interior isn't for everyone but I sure like it. Here's a slide show.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zo06DxOIJy8

Please if you could, post some pics of your work both during and after installation, I'm really interesting in seeing what the beading adds to the equation cosmetically. I've worked with SEM quite a bit and like it, but find it scrapes off easily.

I'm not the best at taking pictures but I'll try and remember to get some. I painted some beading today, tomorrow I'll kick it around and see how the color stays. The color does scrap off even using a vinyl prep first. The good thing is it can just shake can more to fix it. I'm down to about 6 more plastic pieces to install and then I'll tackle the beading.

Stewart- I like your interior, bit of a minimalist look to it.

I'm not the best at taking pictures but I'll try and remember to get some. I painted some beading today, tomorrow I'll kick it around and see how the color stays. The color does scrap off even using a vinyl prep first. The good thing is it can just shake can more to fix it. I'm down to about 6 more plastic pieces to install and then I'll tackle the beading.

Stewart- I like your interior, bit of a minimalist look to it.

Thanks, having been thru an interior redo, I find it interesting to see what others have done. I've often wondered about the beading. The price per linear is a little outrageous. Good luck.

I put the beading on the posts and I guess it gives the edge a cleaner look but you really have to know what you're looking at to notice. I tried to take pictures but it's really cloudy today and the hangar lights just glared off the screens.

I'm close to being done with the plane and I'll post pics of the finished plane.

Back