Wind holding me back

gcd89

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg D.
I am currently in training and have at least 30 hrs (I tihnk). I've been ready to solo for weeks. But I can't because the winds where I live are too heavy. I usually fly in the afternoon. Is there any time I should fly instead where winds aren't as prevailent?

We start with the winds at 6kn, but by the time it come time for me to solo (my first) the winds have picked up to 12-18...

:mad2::mad2:

Looking back on your weather knowledge, when do you generally find the least wind? Early morning, early evening, or mid-day (~9AM through 4-5 PM)?

Give me your best answer and I'll be back to help you out (if someone else doesn't jump in first)

Too bad you were not able to go RIGHT NOW
KPIE 301753Z 04005KT 10SM CLR 28/14 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP170 T02780139 10278 20206 58009
TAF KPIE 301738Z 3018/0118 08007KT P6SM SKC FM302000 04010KT P6SM FEW050 FM010200 09012KT P6SM SKC FM010800 10009KT P6SM SKC FM011400 11011KT P6SM FEW250=

Xponder in the plane is broken today.

But yeah, I'm gonna start going in the mornings.

Xponder in the plane is broken today.

But yeah, I'm gonna start going in the mornings.
Good answer. Late afternoon or early evening works too after the sun stops heating the ground unless there's a storm system nearby.

If nothing else, then just go up with your CFI for some good crosswind practice and do what you know how to do. In some wind situations, you have to really be authoritative with the controls, don't be afraid of doing so.

I am currently in training and have at least 30 hrs (I tihnk). I've been ready to solo for weeks. But I can't because the winds where I live are too heavy. I usually fly in the afternoon. Is there any time I should fly instead where winds aren't as prevailent?

First thing in the morning.

Late in the evening (but that would get you a little close to sunset).

Winds were northerly at 15G30 or better this morning.
Died down to 10G20 for awhile and I was able to administer a Grob 103 checkout.
Rough ride but there was lift, ridge, thermal, shear, rotor and wave.

It's picked back up again, the winds that is.

Going in at 10AM. If the Xponder is fixed. Is 10 a good time or should I start trying to shoot for earlier? I usually fly at around 2 or 3 PM....

Plus, KPIE is right on the water. 35R and 9 both end right at the water. I wonder if that has an effect?

Going in at 10AM. If the Xponder is fixed. Is 10 a good time or should I start trying to shoot for earlier? I usually fly at around 2 or 3 PM....

Plus, KPIE is right on the water. 35R and 9 both end right at the water. I wonder if that has an effect?

Generally, the winds will have picked up by then. Basically, you want to get there before the sun has had a chance to heat the ground. sunrise-8am.

If you want a more accurate time, go to this page...

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

And pull up the METARs over the last 24-36 hours. By watching those for a few days you should be able to spot the trends.

Last edited:

First thing in the morning is more like 7am.

I've been flying with students in Ft. Stockton, TX and the "routine" has become first flight of the day 7:30am... second flight of the day 7:30pm ... came in at about 8:45 am day yesterday and the wind was up to 17 kts.... When I left to come back to Alpine for a couple of days the winds was up to 28 kts w/ blowing dust - yuck

Another thing for you to remember is that the windy season eventually passes too - at least in this part of the country - then it's just HOT

KPIE has runways all over. It looks like it's from ESE when it gets windy and gusty.

Can you use runway 9? 10015G30 would be fun to fly in, no factor. 12015G30 would still be within limits for most trainers without being horrible.

Remember:
* It's ok to land on one wheel first (as long as it's the upwind wheel).
* Dip your wing into the crosswind to maintain flight path
* Steer with your feet to keep the fuselage lined up with the centerline
* If your speed is a little higher, you have more rudder control. Standard is 1/2 your gust factor (add 7-8kts in this example).
* You can use less flaps if the higher speed keeps you from sinking, or if you feel like you're swimming back and forth too much.
* Don't stand on the brakes if you're coming in too fast because the extra lift will not have enough weight on the wheels (you'll sand off the bottom of the tire).
* It's ok for the stall warner to squeak/light during gusts, just don't let it blare all the time.
* Your instructor is willing to do some crosswind work with you to help you get more comfortable.

It's holding me back too, couple weeks ago my instructor said screw it, I'm teaching you to land. What Josh-D said is exactly what my instructor told me as well, my first landings were all with a nasty crosswind.

KPIE has runways all over. It looks like it's from ESE when it gets windy and gusty.

Can you use runway 9? 10015G30 would be fun to fly in, no factor. 12015G30 would still be within limits for most trainers without being horrible.

Remember:
* It's ok to land on one wheel first (as long as it's the upwind wheel).
* Dip your wing into the crosswind to maintain flight path
* Steer with your feet to keep the fuselage lined up with the centerline
* If your speed is a little higher, you have more rudder control. Standard is 1/2 your gust factor (add 7-8kts in this example).
* You can use less flaps if the higher speed keeps you from sinking, or if you feel like you're swimming back and forth too much.
* Don't stand on the brakes if you're coming in too fast because the extra lift will not have enough weight on the wheels (you'll sand off the bottom of the tire).
* It's ok for the stall warner to squeak/light during gusts, just don't let it blare all the time.
* Your instructor is willing to do some crosswind work with you to help you get more comfortable.

Thanks for the tips! I've just NOW started to get the hang of crabbing, so my instructor doesn't feel comfortable in letting me go up in heavy stuff yet.

But you still have to slow down to land, so you still have to transition through that speed with "less control". I don't add any speed during landing in any winds or gusts. We're flying pistons with thrust that is instantly available. We're not flying jets through microbursts which is where that all came from.

If you are flying in gusty enough winds that could possibly justify adding speed you won't be able to read the airspeed indicator because it'll be swinging all over. Instead you just set a pitch and power setting that'll give the desirable result.

12-18 at KPIE is too high? You should be able to find a runway there that the wind won't have more than a 3-4kt cross wind component so what's the worry? Who's scared here, you or your CFI?

12-18 at KPIE is too high? You should be able to find a runway there that the wind won't have more than a 3-4kt cross wind component so what's the worry? Who's scared here, you or your
CFI?

:dunno:

Different people will learn differently, but here's an anecdote. There was a period of strong (to me, anyway) crosswinds before I soloed, but I kept flying anyway. Get-there-itis? In retrospect, I think that trying to learn to land in a crosswind before I'd built a foundation of proficiency in normal landings was counterproductive.

Different people will learn differently, but here's an anecdote. There was a period of strong (to me, anyway) crosswinds before I soloed, but I kept flying anyway. Get-there-itis? In retrospect, I think that trying to learn to land in a crosswind before I'd built a foundation of proficiency in normal landings was counterproductive.

I'm a sloooow learner. It takes constant repetition and observation for me to get something.

Where did you have problems? Was it aligning the plane and flaring for the touch-down, or was it flying the approach that gave you trouble (crabbing/slipping?)?

Learn to fly with the wind. Relax and just control the airplane. If you shy away from the wind, you will not be able to fly much.

Where did you have problems? Was it aligning the plane and flaring for the touch-down, or was it flying the approach that gave you trouble (crabbing/slipping?)?

Neither, really; my point was that being eager to build hours and solo made me fly outside my comfort zone, which I believe hindered my learning. I suppose that was a lesson in itself.

Back