will i have problems obtaining a medical certificate??

pilot J93

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilot J93
basically I have a on and off stiff neck..7-8mths now..i have seen a variety of doctors..musculo-skeletal and general doctors who all say im fine and am suffering from the "stresses of life" I do not have a decreased range of motion or pain..just some slight discomfort from the stiffness...

Last edited:
Dr. Bruce did. Your good to go. They will give you an eye exam. As long as you pass, you shouldn't have any issues, I would think. I had my wisdom teeth removed last December and they put me out for that. I just had to report it. No issues.

I've asked because i did a practice medical online..and they said that my history presents significant obstacles to certification..( i entered the practise medical under a first class certificate) when all i need or want is a third class.

they said that the Glucoplex supplement i take is approved on a case by case basis..which to me..i cant understand because..it is simply a dietary supplement..i thought that would be approved without question.

Anyway..i did not mention on this post that I did minor eye surgery about a year ago..there was a growth which i had to remove. i was conscious during surgery ..i was only under local anesthetic. i have since fully recovered from the surgery...my vision is not affected in any way and i do not take any medication..however i believe the site i took the practice medical online viewed this as a obstacle as well...

SOMEone ANYone..please give me their views on my position...

( the site i did the practice medical on was FAA Medical Leaftseat.com)

Hmmmm ...significant obstacles ... which the vendor can help you overcome ... for a fee. :rolleyes2:

There's nothing wrong with charging for services, as long as those services are necessary. I've got some doubts here, but to be fair I haven't seen what OP actually inputted.

OP, there are several threads here about contacting a AME and getting a non-FAA physical, then consulting regarding any problems (don't fill out the FAA form - which will soon only be available online - and don't sign anything). That's really the only definitive way to get answers. There are a couple of docs who post here who can help. One is at www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
i really am hoping for the best...gotta get in that left seat!

Forgetting about the flight physical, but how stiff is your neck. If it is truly stiff and you cannot look to the sides without turning your body, or have problems looking up and down and this has been going on for 8 months and not getting better, I would recommend that you have someone do more than tell you it is just stress.

Doug

SOMEone ANYone..please give me their views on my position...

That someone is Dr. Bruce Chien, author of post #2. He is the most authoritative and helpful person on medical certification issues on this Board and most likely anywhere. His business is now medical certification issues for difficult cases. If he reads your email and yawns, you are good to go. If he gives you advice FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER. Also, he does not tolerate half truths and half the story. Be very candid. Take your conversation private if you feel that is necessary.

Bruce has helped a lot of us - myself included. When flying is done for the day and we all meet in the proverbial bar, I don't think Bruce has to pay for much.... his many friends rise to the occasion. :cheerswine:

-Skip

true..and i agree with what you saying..but every test ive done so far reveals nothing..( however i am awaiting several blood tests results this week that should rule out arthritis and a few other things) but my neck is not that stiff..i still have full range of mobility..and no pain..just some discomfort from the stiffness...if i don't tell anyone my neck is stiff..they done even recognize...so i have full range of motion. i am still on the hunt for an answer...even if the blood tests results turns up nothing.
If your stiffness is bothering you and you do not have an answer that is adequate see a rheumatologist.

Doug

Blood tests will not confirm or rule out arthritis, especially if your doc is looking for an inflammatory arthritis, like rheumatoid arthritis. Did anyone ever get an x-ray, which is the only way to diagnosis osteoarthritis of your neck? Like a lot of things, neck stiffness can represent a range of problems.

yup..the blood test is to see if i have rheumatoid arthritis ...he told me he suspected ankylosing spondylitis BUT i do not have that constant pain in my SI joint neither any symptoms associated with it...so basically just running a couple of tests that should indicate if there is something serious. and yup i went ahead and did an Xray which turned up no problems. tnx for commenting..appreciate all the help an advice i can get.

This is the thing that I would think may raise more questions. They may want a Visual Field done. One of the docs can give confirmation.
I did minor eye surgery about a year ago..there was a growth which i had to remove. i was conscious during surgery ..i was only under local anesthetic. i have since fully recovered from the surgery...my vision is not affected in any way and i do not take any medication..however i believe the site i took the practice medical online viewed this as a obstacle as well...

Grant, if it was done under local it was either a pterygium or a stye, or at most something in the anterior chamber (I doubt given the story he has a detached lens).

None of those would require visual fields, unless it were very bizarre and I havent' thought of it :)

Grant, if it was done under local it was either a pterygium or a stye, or at most something in the anterior chamber (I doubt given the story he has a detached lens).

None of those would require visual fields, unless it were very bizarre and I havent' thought of it :)

Cool, thanks. You didn't have the info when you first replied, so I wanted to make sure.

OK guys..my doc said my blood test results were very negative for everything he tested me for..including rheumatoid factor..thyroid disease and so on...he also did some general tests to see if i may have an infection but that to is negative...i am def tinking about goin for my medical..i guess the only way to know if i can pass is to submit myself for the medical...btw thanx DR. Bruce for replying to my email.

I agree completely. Dr. Bruce is the pro, and the best resource you're going to find. He recently helped one of my students and that student is going for his checkride in about a week.

thats awesome :) i am goin to join a flight school tomrw and start the process to get my medical...will let u guys no how it goes..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back